Dodge unleashes its 510-hp Viper SRT10 coupe

Started by SaltyDog, October 10, 2005, 04:29:17 PM

TBR

QuoteNo I am not, what does the Viper do better than the Vette?
What does the Corvette do better than the Viper?
faster, lighter, cheaper, etc.
Add more practical to the list, the Z06 should have a comfortable enough ride and a quiet enough interior that driving it daily shouldn't drive you crazy.  

Raghavan

;)
fine, it handles better then. And probably has a higher top speed too.

TBR

;)
I am not sure why you did that:

Viper SRT10 Coupe (Nov 2005 C/D):
0-60: 4.0
0-100: 9.3
1/4 mile: 12.5@117

Corvette Z06  (Oct 2005 C/D):
0-60: 3.6
0-100: 7.9
1/4 mile: 11.7@125

Raghavan

Add more practical to the list, the Z06 should have a comfortable enough ride and a quiet enough interior that driving it daily shouldn't drive you crazy.
Yeah, that too. Plus, it looks much better too (IMO).

Raghavan

;)
I am not sure why you did that:

0-60: 4.0
0-100: 9.3

Corvette Z06  (Oct 2005 C/D):
0-60: 3.6
0-100: 7.9
Damn! That's nice! :o  :praise:  

TBR

As for handling, braking, and top speed:

Viper:
0-70: 159ft
Roadholding: .98g
Top Speed: 190mph

Vette:
0-70: 162 ft
Top Speed: 198mph

So the Viper has slightly better brakes, but I hardly think those make it worth an extra $20k.

Raghavan

QuoteAs for handling, braking, and top speed:

Viper:
0-70: 159ft
Top Speed: 190mph

Vette:
0-70: 162 ft
Top Speed: 198mph

So the Viper has slightly better brakes, but I hardly think those make it worth an extra $20k.
I thought i heard 200 even for the vette, but it's still very impressive nonetheless. Certainly pwnzes the viper. :praise:  

93JC

Whatever guys. If you want to live in la-la land and believe the Corvette ZO6 is significanly faster and better handling than a Viper that's fine with me.

Raghavan

QuoteWhatever guys. If you want to live in la-la land and believe the Corvette ZO6 is significanly faster and better handling than a Viper that's fine with me.
WTF dude... TBR just gave PROOF that the Vette beats it in all but braking. :rolleyes:  

93JC

Proof my ass. They're roughly the same at just about everything. Don't even begin to pretend that 0.4 seconds difference in 0-60 runs couldn't be as much as one driver's reaction time being less than a tenth of a second slower. Absolutely anything could affect the time of that fast a run. You could get that big a variation from a blink-of-an-eye slip-up.

TBR

They do 5 runs and then average the middle three, that is about as accurate as you can get.  

mazda6er

How do explain the 0-100 and the quarter mile then? The times really break apart there, as does the mph in the quarter mile.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

Yeah, you can't blame reaction time there.

Fire It Up

QuoteProof my ass. They're roughly the same at just about everything. Don't even begin to pretend that 0.4 seconds difference in 0-60 runs couldn't be as much as one driver's reaction time being less than a tenth of a second slower. Absolutely anything could affect the time of that fast a run. You could get that big a variation from a blink-of-an-eye slip-up.
Corvette Z06 (Oct 2005 C/D:

.4 quicker and 8 faster.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raza

Automobile pit this, the new Z06, and the GT against each other at Gingerbread Man, and the Z06 got second place, roughly a second behind and a second ahead of the GT and SRT10, respectively.  Though, it was said that the Viper was the easiest to drive fast.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

That's not what I've read.  I read that unlike the C5, the C6 is significantly harsher and more committed than the C5 and will make you crazy as a daily driver (if you are not me).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SaltyDog

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

280Z Turbo

I like the Viper, but the Corvette is the better car. It takes a skilled driver to handle a Viper (even the new ones) whereas the Vette sounds as if it's more forgiving.

I suppose the tricky handling is part of the appeal of the Viper, as is the same with the 911.

Raza

QuoteI like the Viper, but the Corvette is the better car. It takes a skilled driver to handle a Viper (even the new ones) whereas the Vette sounds as if it's more forgiving.

I suppose the tricky handling is part of the appeal of the Viper, as is the same with the 911.
Automobile Magazine said it the other way around.  I don't have time to lift the exact quote from the mag, but I will later.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

QuoteThat sig looks awefully familiar...
Yeah, it's pretty awesome.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SaltyDog

I would say the Viper is an exotic for its rarity and unalultered sportscar characteristics.  I don't know if the Z06 should be considered an exotic, as great as it is, because it is more liveable and just as much of a cruiser.

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.