2015 Focus RS engine possibility

Started by SVT666, February 16, 2012, 03:25:18 PM

SVT666

By Mark Kleis

With sales of Ford?s all-new 2012 Focus well underway around the world, and the mid-level Ford Focus ST nearing production, we must now turn our attention to the range-topping Focus RS thanks to some new information about Ford?s hottest hatch.

Just about any automotive enthusiast can attest to the entertainment value of Top Gear (U.K.), but every now and again the blokes across the Atlantic also dig up some rather juicy details: like news of a new 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine destined for the next-gen Focus RS sometime in 2014 (as a 2015 model year).

According to the folks from the BBC show, an inside source that is ?intimately connected with Team RS? said that Ford will likely ditch the thirsty 2.5-liter, five-cylinder, turbocharged powerplant from the last-gen Focus RS in favor of a more efficient powerplant, most likely a 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine producing around 320 horsepower. That same engine is reportedly being developed for use in the next-gen Ford Mustang as well, likely arriving in either special SVO flavor and tuned for economy over power.

Because one of the most defining characteristics of the outgoing RS was its unique exhaust note, Ford may (emphasis on ?may?) borrow some of noise cancellation technology from the new Mondeo and create some form of artificially enhanced sound. In all likelihood, this will most likely end up being nixed for a less expensive, less complex and more enthusiast-friendly solution based on the exhaust system itself.

You can also expect the return of the renowned Ford RevoKnckle system for the next RS, aimed at minimizing the effects of torque steer coming from the 300+ horsepower, front-wheel drive powertrain.

For you Americans out there, expect this RS to be the first to come state-side ? making it the most exciting performance Focus since the Ford Focus SVT from two generations ago. Unless Ford reveals a three-door hatchback between now and 2014, there is a strong chance the next RS will also become the first to arrive in five-door hatchback form, rather than the three-door form it has in the past.

Xer0

A 320hp Turbo 4 in the Mustang sounds pretty awesome.

FoMoJo

Just when we thought the fun was over :ohyeah:.
"Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth" ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

S204STi

Too bad they had to go down the unthusiast route and offer a powerful engine.  I mean, real enthusiasts enjoy wringing out a squirrel-cage for all it's worth every time they want decent acceleration.

Xer0

Quote from: S204STi on February 16, 2012, 03:51:27 PM
Too bad they had to go down the unthusiast route and offer a powerful engine.  I mean, real enthusiasts enjoy wringing out a squirrel-cage for all it's worth every time they want decent acceleration.

Even worse, they attatched it to a heavy car.  Real enthusiasts don't drive boats.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: Xer0 on February 16, 2012, 03:59:10 PM
Even worse, they attatched it to a heavy car.  Real enthusiasts don't drive boats.
2800 lbs is a boat?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on February 16, 2012, 03:51:27 PM

Yeah, like Accent! :wub:

I am feeling more enthusiastic about the SVO.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on February 16, 2012, 04:23:39 PM
2800 lbs is a boat?
You're missing the really bad joke. I don't blame you.

A 4 banger Rustang def has a nice ring to it, especially in these tough economic times. Def makes more sense as a base engine.

Onslaught

4 banger Mustang? NO, no no no no no. WTF is wrong with you people?

Eye of the Tiger

sportyaccordy

What's wrong with it? They're not gonna kill the GT.

SVT666

sportyaccordy

Onslaught

SVT666

Me neither.  I really don't like the idea of a turbo 4 Mustang.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on February 16, 2012, 11:08:27 PM
Me neither.  I really don't like the idea of a turbo 4 Mustang.

Wasn't the SVO faster than the GT?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26757.msg1670166#msg1670166 date=1329487830
It was on par IIRC, but it doesn't sound like a Mustang should.

MX793

Quote from: Raza  on February 17, 2012, 07:10:30 AM

Straight line was pretty close.  IIRC, the old SVO motor had pretty bad turbo lag (I've heard this from multiple people who had driven cars with that turbo 2.3) and a pretty narrow powerband, so no sooner were you in the power, you had to shift.  The SVO was really more of a road-course type of car in the same vein as the Shelby GT350 and Boss 302 before it.  The suspension was more sophisticated than the GT (came with specially tuned Koni suspension bits and the quad shock rear suspension that was not used on other Mustangs of that time), 4-wheel disc brakes (GTs of those years still had drums in back), pedals that were laid out specifically for heel-toe shifting, and IIRC they came with Recaro sport buckets.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on February 17, 2012, 09:08:25 AM
It was on par IIRC, but it doesn't sound like a Mustang should.
Neither do any of the non-V8 Stangs. They're not looking to replace the V8 (or even the V6, though as good as it is I think a 4 makes more sense)

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 17, 2012, 11:42:00 AM
Neither do any of the non-V8 Stangs. They're not looking to replace the V8 (or even the V6, though as good as it is I think a 4 makes more sense)
The V6 does have a growl to the exhaust, but no 4 banger will ever sound like a Mustang should.  BTW, how does the Turbo 4 make more sense?

sportyaccordy

Turbo 4 will be much more economical to run, and a little lighter (plus have a lower moment of inertia) at the nose. V6 sounds like a 350Z uncorked.

Eye of the Tiger

SVO's sound like SVO's should. V8's are for stupid rednecks :P

MX793

Quote from: SVT666 on February 17, 2012, 02:35:13 PM
The V6 does have a growl to the exhaust, but no 4 banger will ever sound like a Mustang should.  BTW, how does the Turbo 4 make more sense?

The V6 has a nice howl to it (I think it sounds a shade better than the big-bore VQs), but I'm not sure it really "sounds like a Mustang should".  The sound is more befitting something Japanese or European, IMO.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MexicoCityM3

The RS sounded fantastic. It was available here and I've been pn the track with them. There is an active Focus SVT/RS club here. We got the previous gen euro versions of both. The RS in particular is sick.

I once was at a track session with a few SVTs in a friend 135i. i was driving. I could stay ahead of the SVTs but barely and couldn't catch the RSs.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SVT666

Quote from: MX793 on February 17, 2012, 05:26:07 PM
The V6 has a nice howl to it (I think it sounds a shade better than the big-bore VQs), but I'm not sure it really "sounds like a Mustang should".  The sound is more befitting something Japanese or European, IMO.
I never said it does, but at least it doesn't sound like a Honda.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on February 17, 2012, 07:10:30 AM

yes, but it was an incredibly slow GT.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

LonghornTX

The SVO, as mentioned, was much more of a corner carver than a straight line car. A close friend had one for awhile and it was definitely ahead of its time (w/ regards to other Mustangs), but was not super quick and did suffer from bad lag (like most early turbo cars). The car definitely handled pretty good.

But, like others, I am a V8 Mustang kind of guy (I have two). Without it, I would buy another type of sports car, probably something smaller like a FR-S
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: SVT666 on February 17, 2012, 06:02:22 PM
I never said it does, but at least it doesn't sound like a Honda.
Neither would a turbo 4 pot. Your Focus is closer to a Honda than this proposed motor.