Place your bets - blinking "Drive" light on 2005 Accord.

Started by GoCougs, February 19, 2012, 06:23:32 PM

Rupert

Can you be shamed to hell? I thought it was only damning that got you there...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT666

For someone who claims to be so good with money and financially prudent, why the hell would you trade it in when you can get double for it in a private sale?

S204STi

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on March 12, 2012, 09:43:35 PM
In other news, I have a 2012 Civic as a loaner. Shame on Honda for its road noise issues, shame on them to HELL.

Hahah! How's the interior? Cheap and nasty?

I want to slap anyone who actually bought one.

Quote from: SVT666 on March 12, 2012, 10:36:51 PM
For someone who claims to be so good with money and financially prudent, why the hell would you trade it in when you can get double for it in a private sale?

Convience...

SVT666

SVT666

Quote from: S204STi on March 12, 2012, 10:54:16 PM
Probably the ease of the transaction...
He could sell his car in a weekend if he asked $7000 for it, instead of taking it up the ass at the dealer.  When I bought my Ram in 2005, the dealer offered me $3000 for my 1996 Mustang GT.  I told him to stuff it and I sold it in 3 days for $10,000.

sparkplug

Well, Cougs, you also have to look at the overall condition of the car. The engine might still be good for another 50,000 + miles.

It's your money, though. Just remember in this economy you may want to avoid a payments. I don't know your finances. Maybe you can.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

AutobahnSHO

Well, he was bragging the job up for years then suddenly says he's considering jumping ship...

I totally understand the WANT of a new(er) car, but it's rarely necessary.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on March 12, 2012, 09:41:00 PM
I wouldn't want a car as good as the Accord; I want a new(ish) car:

1.) Spend $2,500 in maintenance/repairs on a $2,500 car; net = $0.

2.) Sell said car before it needs the repairs/maintenance; net = $2,500.

NO,

1- Repair car for cost of $2500= have reliable transportation for another year or two.

2- Sell car and buy another one, assuming that the car is around $10k (cuz I can't see you shopping Madmen's Shed of the Week types,)
$10k- $2500 = $7500 = payments for quite a while. Or a big chunk out of your wallet.

New(er) cars are ALWAYS NICE but rarely make sense money-wise.
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on March 12, 2012, 09:55:08 PM
Can you be shamed to hell? I thought it was only damning that got you there...

I see what you did there. Yes, they did it to themselves (shame) rather than me having to do it to them (damning).

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on March 12, 2012, 11:01:52 PM

Nah, I think it's fine. 0.04% of the public care about "soft touch plastics" and the like. I do like the IP interface (colored LCD screen to the left of the gauges).

Honda spent a bunch of money heavily modifying the chassis (wheelbase) yet left the basic styling, utility and refinement alone. Bad call.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on March 13, 2012, 12:08:58 AM
He could sell his car in a weekend if he asked $7000 for it, instead of taking it up the ass at the dealer.  When I bought my Ram in 2005, the dealer offered me $3000 for my 1996 Mustang GT.  I told him to stuff it and I sold it in 3 days for $10,000.

Why is there the substantial market for trade-ins then? And shame on you for not negotiating better.

I've sold many a used car and it's a PITA.

GoCougs

Quote from: sparkplug on March 13, 2012, 12:09:30 AM
Well, Cougs, you also have to look at the overall condition of the car. The engine might still be good for another 50,000 + miles.

It's your money, though. Just remember in this economy you may want to avoid a payments. I don't know your finances. Maybe you can.

The engine does indeed have a lot of life left in it - power seems to be down a bit it seems but it neither leaks nor uses oil, and otherwise runs like a top.

No, no payments, will be paying cash for the next car.

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 13, 2012, 05:31:03 AM
NO,

1- Repair car for cost of $2500= have reliable transportation for another year or two.

2- Sell car and buy another one, assuming that the car is around $10k (cuz I can't see you shopping Madmen's Shed of the Week types,)
$10k- $2500 = $7500 = payments for quite a while. Or a big chunk out of your wallet.

New(er) cars are ALWAYS NICE but rarely make sense money-wise.

Yes.

The risk exists for other larger repairs, and the hassle that that brings.

The $10k car will be more reliable, safer and all around a better car (presumably it's newer with lower miles) vs. the $2.5k, which is worth a lot.

GoCougs

I'd rather not have to replace the Accord hastily, but have negotiated a tentative deal over the phone (as in, will you take "xxx" for the car). Would rather have more time. I've narrowed it down to two cars; one I like better but it is rare in this area (Acura TL-SH AWD w/6MT) the other is a bit of a "meh" (new gen due in MY2013 plus not a huge fan of Nissan) but is plentiful and cheap in this area (G37x sedan) - just over the phone I got a 16,000 mile 2011 G37x sedan down to $28k. Doesn't have my ideal color combo nor my desired wheel upgrade but it would do in a pinch.

GoCougs

Anyway, the dealer called and said they could not replicate the issue nor were there any buffered error codes. They again tried to push the BS A/T service, and were a bit offended when rebuked; in an uncharacteristic manner I snapped a bit and told them to stop with the BS.

~$7,000 is showing as the KBB private party value and ~$5,000 for trade-in value. Thing is a lot of people don't know is you get a tax credit for a trade-in (at least in my state). So my trade is actually worth $5,000 + 8.6% = $5,430. To me, ~$1,500 is about a wash to not have to deal with selling a used car.

AutobahnSHO

Some people have more money than time..  :huh:

Again, I'm not saying don't get a newer car- but you're falling into the typical "two things started to break so I have to unload it"  scenario.

+10 pts for you driving it past 150k though...
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 13, 2012, 04:51:47 PM
Some people have more money than time..  :huh:

Again, I'm not saying don't get a newer car- but you're falling into the typical "two things started to break so I have to unload it"  scenario.

+10 pts for you driving it past 150k though...

And sometimes it pays to not have to deal with the public. I've sold lots of use cars and it's a whole lotta people not showing up, wanting to do a surprise trade, not knowing how to drive, etc.

The best financial deal by far is to sell a car before a major break.

150,000 miles was my predetermined break - had it a M/T I'd definitely keep it longer.

GoCougs

Doing something I've never done before - Internet negotiating. It's interesting - not sure how far it will get me though. The best line so far is my ideal car (color, options, miles) but it's ~90 miles away. Have friends there so I can chill if I need to. We'll see how it goes!

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on March 13, 2012, 07:56:07 PM
Doing something I've never done before - Internet negotiating. It's interesting - not sure how far it will get me though. The best line so far is my ideal car (color, options, miles) but it's ~90 miles away. Have friends there so I can chill if I need to. We'll see how it goes!

90 miles? Why not do a day trip?

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on March 13, 2012, 07:56:07 PM

What's your top choice at this point?

GoCougs

2011 G37x Journey sedan w/premium package, blue, gray or silver, black interior, under 20,000 miles. Would really like the optional 18" split spoke wheels (rare) but not mandatory.

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on March 13, 2012, 07:53:01 PM
150,000 miles was my predetermined break - had it a M/T I'd definitely keep it longer.

Same here on the Passat. I bailed at 154K. Was still running just fine. Probably should've stuck with my original plan to keep it 'til spring. But no big deal.

GoCougs

Hmmm. Found the exact car I want at a much closer dealer - MY2011, the very hard to find combo ("lakeshore" blue w/black interior), premium package, 20,000 miles, ask was $34k, I offered $28k + $5k Accord trade-in. They said "we can work with that." Scheduled to see it tomorrow - have to clean out the Accord and otherwise pack it with the goods tonight. Ugh, not looking forward to that...

SVT666

GoCougs

Worked out a deal for the same car save in silver at another dealer; $26k + $5k Accord trade-in. The dealer's a bit far though but doable... 

GoCougs

Northlands

Quote from: 2o6 on March 12, 2012, 11:01:52 PM

Convience...

I just had a ride in a 2012 Civic. Loaner. The exterior is a mess, but the interior isn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be, quality wise. Tire noise didn't seem anything out of the norm for this car. Maybe he one with cheapies that were swapped on.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

Danish

Quote from: Lebowski on December 17, 2008, 05:46:10 PM
No advice can be worse than Coug's, in any thread, ever.

GoCougs

Oh, goody - been a while since I've had (quasi) fresh meat for the WinSPIN grinder.