A happy Chevy Volt owner

Started by Morris Minor, February 21, 2012, 02:24:33 PM

Morris Minor

This is the web page & blog of a colleague's friend who is, as you can see, a bit of an evangelist for the Volt.

First Volt in Georgia
http://www.firstvoltingeorgia.com/

and

One year with an electric vehicle.
http://intermod.typepad.com/intermod/2011/12/one-year-ev.html

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

AutobahnSHO

The Volt is a great "gateway drug car". If new cars weren't so expensive, I'd totally go for a Leaf for my commuter car.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Gotta-Qik-C7

I want a Volt as my daily run around when the prices come down.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Morris Minor

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

ChrisV

Local demo one is for sale at $30k. Not a bad price for a low mileage unit. You can get a new one for a $349/mo lease, however, At that rate, the monthly payments are like BUYING a $20k car, which makes it a great deal. Thing is to see what they go for as they come off lease in 3 years (when a new version is out).
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Atomic

if the volt does not sell better, especially with rising gas prices, i fear these vehicles will become toast. BTW: when is the two door caddy "version" due out? initially, the stylish cadillac coupe was scrapped when GM anticipated not having enough plant capacity for its production.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: ChrisV on March 07, 2012, 06:45:08 AM
... You can get a new one for a $349/mo lease, however, At that rate, the monthly payments are like BUYING a $20k car, which makes it a great deal....

Even figuring in the usual $2500 in upfront fees??
Will

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Morris Minor on March 04, 2012, 08:07:22 PM
Looks like your local dealer might be open to some hard bargaining:

http://thehill.com/blogs/transportation-report/automobiles/213889-gm-halting-production-of-chevy-volt

Quote from that article:
"Lee noted that sales of the Volt were higher in February than they were in January, and added that California recently decided to allow the electric car to qualify for High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes in the state."

I was sitting in traffic the other day watching Priuses (I refuse to use Toyota's term for Prius plural) w/ one person zipping by me on the HOV lane and thought...logically, it'd make more sense to have the Priuses and Volts stuck in traffic because they have stop-start functions and electric only modes, meaning reduced pollution from idling cars.

ChrisV

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 07, 2012, 06:55:21 AM
Even figuring in the usual $2500 in upfront fees??

Yup. We leased the MINI and the upfront fees were similar, to get a similar monthly payment, and the MINI was a $23k car.

AutobahnSHO

I'm saying that $350/month is different than $350/month plus $2500.

So is this price for leasing a volt equivalent to buying a car, even with the lease fees??
Will

Byteme

Quote from: Atomic on March 07, 2012, 06:52:05 AM
if the volt does not sell better, especially with rising gas prices, i fear these vehicles will become toast. BTW: when is the two door caddy "version" due out? initially, the stylish cadillac coupe was scrapped when GM anticipated not having enough plant capacity for its production.

I heard yesterday GM was shutting down production for 5 weeks to reduce inventories of the Volt.  It sold about 75% of it's projected sales of 10,000 units the first year and doesn't stand a chance of selling 45,000 units this year, it's sales target.  January and February sales amounted to just 1,600 units.  It's hard to sell them when a Cruze is sitting on the same lot and gets 40 MPG for half the sticker price of a Volt and is more useful. 

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: MiataJohn on March 08, 2012, 06:54:23 AM
  It's hard to sell them when a Cruze is sitting on the same lot and gets 40 MPG for half the sticker price of a Volt and is more useful. 

The electric cars are cool. Not cool enough to mortgage the universe for them...
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 08, 2012, 07:01:17 AM
The electric cars are cool. Not cool enough to mortgage the universe for them...

Driving something more affordable and useful is cooler though.   ;)

Morris Minor

The best way for the government to force people to buy the vehicles it thinks are good for them is through raising the Fed gas tax to $5 or so. Much better than dicking around with CAFE standards, tax credits, HOV lanes and all the other complex nonsense.

ChrisV

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 08, 2012, 06:15:10 AM
I'm saying that $350/month is different than $350/month plus $2500.

So is this price for leasing a volt equivalent to buying a car, even with the lease fees??

On a 23k car, you still have to get the same down payment to get that 350 a month, is what I'm saying.

Colonel Cadillac

There's one potential problem with plug-in cars that I have been thinking about lately. When you drive somewhere and plug in your vehicle, who's paying for that power? I don't think the local supermarket is going to take a keen interest in paying for people to charge their cars while they shop.

93JC

If you're at the supermarket for an hour you might have used 10¢ worth of electricity to charge your car. They're not going to be particularly upset at selling you $100 worth of groceries and having their profit on that reduced by a measly dime.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 08, 2012, 04:26:21 PM
There's one potential problem with plug-in cars that I have been thinking about lately. When you drive somewhere and plug in your vehicle, who's paying for that power? I don't think the local supermarket is going to take a keen interest in paying for people to charge their cars while they shop.

Might get passed on to the rest of us by way of higher prices?

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on March 08, 2012, 04:34:28 PM
If you're at the supermarket for an hour you might have used 10? worth of electricity to charge your car. They're not going to be particularly upset at selling you $100 worth of groceries and having their profit on that reduced by a measly dime.

Installation of charging outlets will be expensive. You can't just run a bunch of extension cords, car owner would sue if it somehow shorts and fries your car.
Will

93JC

True, true. He just asked about the power itself, not installation of extra services to support it.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on March 08, 2012, 08:17:17 PM
True, true. He just asked about the power itself, not installation of extra services to support it.

Right- the power will cost almost nothing, but places WILL be installing charge stations. That installation money has to be recouped somehow..   Supposedly there are a bunch of 220v charge stations around Nashville (Nissan's USA headquarters) but I haven't seen any of them.
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 09, 2012, 06:30:28 AM
Right- the power will cost almost nothing, but places WILL be installing charge stations. That installation money has to be recouped somehow..   Supposedly there are a bunch of 220v charge stations around Nashville (Nissan's USA headquarters) but I haven't seen any of them.

I can picture the day when kids no longer siphon gas, but instead sneak an extension cord over to the neighbor's outside outlet at night.    :lol:

Morris Minor

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 09, 2012, 06:30:28 AM

See: http://www.carspin.net/forums/index.php?topic=26924.msg1682243#new
Taxpayers are in the government's crosshairs for bearing the cost of installation