Updated Hyundai Genesis road tests

Started by sportyaccordy, February 22, 2012, 07:39:20 AM

SVT32V

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 23, 2012, 12:33:26 PM
The Genesis has a weight distribution of 55/45 with the V6... the V8 would definitely make it nose heavier than any of its competitors (M3: 51/49, Mustang GT: 53/47, Camaro: 52/48), unless they did some extensive weight reduction on the nose (i.e. an all aluminum front...$$$$$$$$$$). I like the idea of the V8 too, hell I suggested they replace the V6 with the V8 and bump up the power in the 4 pot long ago, but now that I know how nose heavy it is I'm not so sure thats a good idea. It could wind up being like the 1st GT500.

I doubt it, the difference in weight between the V6 sedan and 5.0R is less than 150 lbs, and changes weight distritibution 1%. If hyundai can't make some changes to save some weight over the front and suspension tuning they would be incompetent, and they are not.

sportyaccordy

The V6 sedan is a good 500# heavier than the coupe which lessens the impact of the extra weight of the V8. Not to mention they did not engineer the car to deal with the weight or loads of the V8, so at the minimum they would probably have to beef up, not lighten, the front end. But even w/o that, an extra 100# on the nose would bring the front weight % from 55 to 58. Can you name any RWD sports cars with that kind of balance that are heralded for their handling?

GoCougs

The pinnacle of automobiledom is a 0-60 in 7 sec. with lots of "steering feel" and "turn-in."

Cookie Monster

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 23, 2012, 03:59:56 PM
The V6 sedan is a good 500# heavier than the coupe which lessens the impact of the extra weight of the V8. Not to mention they did not engineer the car to deal with the weight or loads of the V8, so at the minimum they would probably have to beef up, not lighten, the front end. But even w/o that, an extra 100# on the nose would bring the front weight % from 55 to 58. Can you name any RWD sports cars with that kind of balance that are heralded for their handling?
Who cares about handling, you're not supposed to have fun on the street anyways. Weight distribution doesn't add anything to the driving experience, it's all just about bragging rights and ego.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2012, 06:45:19 PM
The pinnacle of automobiledom is a 0-60 in 7 sec. with lots of "steering feel" and "turn-in."

So, Accords?  Wait, no, those have undesirable weight distribution...according to, ahem, sportyaccordy.

:facepalm: :lol:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2012, 06:45:19 PM
No, the pinnacle is a family sedan with far more horsepower than chassis that enables a dude to take out his frustrations on folks bold enough to buy something more exotic than a Camry V6 through "traffic light dominance". Also, congrats on your strawman.

Quote from: thecarnut on February 23, 2012, 06:48:19 PM
Who cares about handling, you're not supposed to have fun on the street anyways. Weight distribution doesn't add anything to the driving experience, it's all just about bragging rights and ego.
Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2012, 06:53:11 PM
So, Accords?  Wait, no, those have undesirable weight distribution...according to, ahem, sportyaccordy.

This is pretty sad. 1, yes, one shouldn't be pushing their cars to the point that balance or understeer is an issue on public streets. 2, people do track these cars, and this car competes with other performance cars, so balance is a valid concern. 3, its not my fault you are angry I legitimately called you out on your reckless street driving values, or that your egos are way bigger than your driving abilities, or that you are so emotionally invested in false premises and operations of companies that make cars nobody here will ever buy. Take control of your emotions, for your own sake. This is embarrassing.

GoCougs

Quote from: giant_mtb on February 23, 2012, 06:53:11 PM
So, Accords?  Wait, no, those have undesirable weight distribution...according to, ahem, sportyaccordy.

Abominable weight distribution - how Accords manage to stay on the road is a miracle. Thankfully the V6 versions can manage 0-60 in the 6 sec. range, which is all that really counts.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 23, 2012, 07:20:59 PM
No, the pinnacle is a family sedan with far more horsepower than chassis that enables a dude to take out his frustrations on folks bold enough to buy something more exotic than a Camry V6 through "traffic light dominance". Also, congrats on your strawman.

It runs pretty good on the freeway too; wouldn't exactly say "dominate" but there's been more than a few WRXs, GTIs, lesser 3ers, etc., that've done got Accord'd.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on February 23, 2012, 07:36:54 PM
It runs pretty good on the freeway too; wouldn't exactly say "dominate" but there's been more than a few WRXs, GTIs, lesser 3ers, etc., that've done got Accord'd.

A couple of years back, some moron in an Accord was tailgating me on the non-twisty bit of one of my favorite roads.  Hit the twisty part of the road and I watched in the rearview as his car just plowed into the oncoming lane in the very first bend (thankfully there was no oncoming traffic).  Didn't see him again in my rear view after that first bend until I had to slow up for a 30 mph zone in a town a few miles up the way.  Road had straightened out by then and said idiot came flying up behind me at about 50 mph.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

sportyaccordy

And obviously FWD cars can't be held to the same standard, balance wise. Plus with their power levels & weights it doesn't matter anyway. 400HP FWD cars aren't good for much more than highway pulls.

A bad driver would get "Accord'd" in a Nissan GT-R. At the end of the day you drive a 15 second car. In a controlled environment against experienced drivers (i.e. a dragstrip), physics would trump all. Something tells me many of your "victims" were not even aware they were racing.

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MX793 on February 23, 2012, 07:48:14 PM
A couple of years back, some moron in an Accord was tailgating me on the non-twisty bit of one of my favorite roads.  Hit the twisty part of the road and I watched in the rearview as his car just plowed into the oncoming lane in the very first bend (thankfully there was no oncoming traffic).  Didn't see him again in my rear view after that first bend until I had to slow up for a 30 mph zone in a town a few miles up the way.  Road had straightened out by then and said idiot came flying up behind me at about 50 mph.
Were you in the PNW? You might have just been "Accord'd".

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MX793 on February 23, 2012, 07:48:14 PM

On the other hand, there was that time I was driving my Hertz Corvette through a twisty mountain road in western Nevada, and I just couldn't shake the white Ford Ranger behind me. I was probably pushing 6/10ths of the Vette's capability, since I was both unfamiliar with the car and the road. Meanwhile, I see the Ranger in my mirror, hanging his tail end out exiting the curves. Damn that guy!
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

giant_mtb

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 23, 2012, 07:20:59 PM

This is pretty sad. 1, yes, one shouldn't be pushing their cars to the point that balance or understeer is an issue on public streets. 2, people do track these cars, and this car competes with other performance cars, so balance is a valid concern. 3, its not my fault you are angry I legitimately called you out on your reckless street driving values, or that your egos are way bigger than your driving abilities, or that you are so emotionally invested in false premises and operations of companies that make cars nobody here will ever buy. Take control of your emotions, for your own sake. This is embarrassing.

...bahahahahahahahahahaha. hahahaha. haha. ha.

Gold.  Bait chomped. :ohyeah:

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 23, 2012, 07:52:07 PM
Were you in the PNW? You might have just been "Accord'd".

I Accord'd Mazda 3s on a weekly basis.

Onslaught

AutobahnSHO

Pfft. I Sienna a whole lotta cars on a weekly basis. The last couple years a lot of people have become more "drive softly to save gas" conscious. If anyone were really racing you then there wouldn't be so much "Accord-ding" going on..

(Oh and there are a couple corners around here where people get Subaru'd on a daily basis.)
Will

CALL_911

Funny, I recently GTI'd a V6 7th gen Accord coupe on the drive to school.

On another note, I fucking hate Accord/Altima coupes. They're every bit as dull as an Accord sedan, with the usefulness decreased. This is coming from someone who likes Accord sedans.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT32V

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 23, 2012, 03:59:56 PM

The engine will still weigh within 100 lbs of the v6, slapping the battery and a few other bits in the back while using more aluminum up front can more than make up the difference.

Yes, the '03 cobra was a good handler with particularly poor weight distribution and plenty of front heavy fwd/awd cars can manage to handle well with horrible weight bias.

Besides not all cars have to be stellar handlers, some can just be acceleration monsters more than handlers. Beyond that, it would not be such a hard problem for the hyundai engineers to solve.

SVT32V

Quote from: thecarnut on February 23, 2012, 06:48:19 PM

Right, acceleration is meaningless starting out faster than anything a honda fit can do is dangerous on the street and unless you have perfect weight distribution you will plow into the first car that comes near you.

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 24, 2012, 02:46:00 PM
Funny, I recently GTI'd a V6 7th gen Accord coupe on the drive to school.

On another note, I fucking hate Accord/Altima coupes. They're every bit as dull as an Accord sedan, with the usefulness decreased. This is coming from someone who likes Accord sedans.

Cool - got lucky in that the 7th gen V6 coupe (w/MT) is a bit quicker car...

I really liked the 7th gen Accord coupe - almost bought one instead of the sedan. Not a huge fan of the 8th gen coupe, but still a good a performer, useful, and most importantly, unmatched reliability in the segment/performance range.