Your favorite sedan?

Started by BENZ BOY15, February 23, 2012, 10:55:48 PM

Northlands

Quote from: YO on February 24, 2012, 08:06:46 PM
S2000.... f sedans...

Seriously? You couldn't pick one Mercedes for this thread?  :hammerhead:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

GoCougs

In concept, the S4. However, reliability has been poor which will forever keep me a way. There have been lots of issues with the M/T - it's a $5,700 unit too. 

In practicality, the Acura TL-SH AWD w/6MT. Unbeatable reliability, good performance, but so-so AWD system and styling. This is my top contender.

YO

So so AWD??? are you kidding.... SH-AWD is second to none! I think it was a Automobile head to head with the TL mentioned and an S4, and whilte the TL was slower in all acceleration categories, it virtually tied the S4 on the track... thanks to SH-AWD... PLUS everyone for some reason forgets that the TL is currently larger inside and out then the E Class, 5 Series and A6, and still holds its own against smaller cars due to the "price" comparison. The TL ROCKS!

If you haven't driven SH-AWD vs the others, you should... it's the future of AWD

Quote from: GoCougs on February 24, 2012, 08:25:05 PM
In concept, the S4. However, reliability has been poor which will forever keep me a way. There have been lots of issues with the M/T - it's a $5,700 unit too. 

In practicality, the Acura TL-SH AWD w/6MT. Unbeatable reliability, good performance, but so-so AWD system and styling. This is my top contender.
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

YO

oh yeah... sedan...

CLS63 AMG, matte black with AMG premium leather seats and performance package...
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS SERVED
MANY,MANY more to come.

THE POWER OF DREAMS

RACING DOMINATION at the highest level...6 Time F1 Constructors Champion, 5 Time F1 Drivers Champion, 3 Time CART Constructors Champion, 6 Time CART Drivers Champion and two consecutive International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) International Sedan Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive IMSA International Sedan Drivers' Championships,three consecutive Manufacturers' Championships and three consecutive Drivers' Championships in the prestigious IMSA Camel GTP Lights series  ....current 4 TIME INDY Constructors Champion AND Drivers Champion?10 Time SCCA World Challenge Champions... .Home to the Worlds Greatest Drivers and Riders past, present and future...

Rupert

Buy a sports car if you want a sports cars, and if I want a sedan, old Merc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on February 24, 2012, 08:25:05 PM

If they made Acuras appealing again, styling wise, I would be in the same boat. The car I learned to drive on was an 87' Legend Coupe and I loved the way that thing looked (it drove pretty good too). The TL had me through the 3rd Gen cars, but the ones after have just never caught my eye.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

TurboDan

Quote from: LonghornTX on February 24, 2012, 10:13:12 PM
If they made Acuras appealing again, styling wise, I would be in the same boat. The car I learned to drive on was an 87' Legend Coupe and I loved the way that thing looked (it drove pretty good too). The TL had me through the 3rd Gen cars, but the ones after have just never caught my eye.

I think the current TL is decent. I like the rear end, even though it looks a little space-shippy. I always thought the TL was a boring looking car, to be honest, in previous generations. The CL was OK... we had one in my family for a couple years.

GoCougs

Quote from: YO on February 24, 2012, 09:22:53 PM
So so AWD??? are you kidding.... SH-AWD is second to none! I think it was a Automobile head to head with the TL mentioned and an S4, and whilte the TL was slower in all acceleration categories, it virtually tied the S4 on the track... thanks to SH-AWD... PLUS everyone for some reason forgets that the TL is currently larger inside and out then the E Class, 5 Series and A6, and still holds its own against smaller cars due to the "price" comparison. The TL ROCKS!

If you haven't driven SH-AWD vs the others, you should... it's the future of AWD

I'm looking for inclement weather prowess, not handling prowess. Sure the Acura system can split torque every which way but it mostly powers the front wheels and only when things get wonky does the system get reactive - this "reactive" nature can have lag and can result in so-so performance on snow and wet roads.

I like the Subaru system the best; consistent F/R torque split with clutches - there is no reaction time or large FWD or RWD bias as in many/most other systems, and only when things get dicey does the system get reactive. My body of evidence says the consistent-split Subaru style works better in snow and wet roads. Problem is, I'm not a fan of Subarus.

All in all, the TL is the front runner, primarily because of the M/T (and that my Accord has been such a rock star).

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Gotta-Qik-C7

:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

pendyman

For all time, the Aston Martin Lagonda would be in the running.

As to what I could buy now, I?m still infatuated with the CTS:

Vinsanity

^^^ excellent choice in rims ;)

However, I'd have to agree with YO on my favorite. Merc CLS63. But I'll take mine in matte silver.
(not counting the Audi A7/S7 as a sedan)

Runner-up: matte black Caddy CTS-V

Honorable mention: Jaguar XJ Supercharged

SVT666

I would take a CTS-V in a heartbeat, but the interior creeks and groans in the corners are enough to steer me away from the regular CTS to the Infiniti dealership.  The front end styling of the 335i bothers me enough not to buy it, and a 535i on the used market is only a couple grand more than the same year 335i.  I could rock a 535i, but I need to drive one first.

68_427

Quote from: Raza  on February 24, 2012, 06:16:47 PM
That sounds about right.

Have you seen your Jetta thread recently?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

I want to like the CTS but it's WAY overpriced and is at the bottom of the class in performance.

GoCougs

I am indeed not a huge fan of the Acura look as represented by its recent all-new designs (TL, MDX, RDX, ADX). If it weren't for my experience with the Accord, I'm not sure the TL would be a top-tier consideration.

However, Acura does have some technology issues; through 2011 the RL and TL were soldiering on with 5sp ATs and the V6 is still the SOHC/timing belt J-Series that dates back to the mid-1990s (even so, NVH is as good as anything in the class).

cawimmer430

I'm going to add my favorite sedans per country.  :ohyeah:

America: A lot of nice sedans from the good old US of A but my favorites are a tie between the '73 Chrysler New Yorker and '72 Oldsmobile Delta 88. Such sexiness and class.  :wub:

France: Citroen CX Hatchback and Peugeot 505

UK: Jaguar XJ Series I and Rover SD1

Italy: Maserati Quattroporte III and Fiat 130 and Alfa Romeo 6

Russia/Soviet Union: Volga 24 and ZIL 41047 (those ZILs always looked badass to me as a child!)

Sweden: Volvo 240 and Volvo 164

Japan: Nissan Cedric and Mitsubishi Galant 5th generation (in GTI/VR4 trim)

Korea: Hyundai XG and Hyundai Genesis I suppose...

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on February 23, 2012, 11:11:49 PM
That doesn't look like a Benz, fucking flip flopper.

I know, I know...

As for a Mercedes:

S600.

Quote from: YO on February 24, 2012, 08:06:46 PM
S2000.... f sedans...

:lol:

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: cawimmer430 on February 26, 2012, 05:55:47 AM
I'm going to add my favorite sedans per country.  :ohyeah:

America: A lot of nice sedans from the good old US of A but my favorites are a tie between the '73 Chrysler New Yorker and '72 Oldsmobile Delta 88. Such sexiness and class.  :wub:

France: Citroen CX Hatchback and Peugeot 505

UK: Jaguar XJ Series I and Rover SD1

Italy: Maserati Quattroporte III and Fiat 130 and Alfa Romeo 6

Russia/Soviet Union: Volga 24 and ZIL 41047 (those ZILs always looked badass to me as a child!)

Sweden: Volvo 240 and Volvo 164

Japan: Nissan Cedric and Mitsubishi Galant 5th generation (in GTI/VR4 trim)

Korea: Hyundai XG and Hyundai Genesis I suppose...

Did 2o6 hack into your account? Those are some ugly vehicles...

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on February 25, 2012, 07:27:22 PM
Have you seen your Jetta thread recently?

Ah, yes, I remember that.  55K is ridiculous!  New or not.  I mean, it may be somewhat reasonable, but I can't afford it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

omicron

'65 Caprice Custom and '66 Bonneville Brougham.

Special mentions to the '65 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight and Buick Electra 225.

Byteme

Quote from: omicron on February 27, 2012, 06:41:59 AM
'65 Caprice Custom and '66 Bonneville Brougham.

Special mentions to the '65 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight and Buick Electra 225.

Ah, cars from the golden era of car design.  That stunning Pontiac is even better as a two door convertible.

I test drove a used 4 door 65 Chevy Impala around 1968.  One problem was the poor sealing between the front and rear windows.  Water and air leaks were fairly common.

hounddog

Quote from: YO on February 24, 2012, 09:24:15 PM
oh yeah... sedan...

CLS63 AMG, matte black with AMG premium leather seats and performance package...
Beat me to it.

Only, it would have to be pre-2010 in charcoal grey with grey leather.

:ohyeah:

The totally screwed that car up with the new body style.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

cawimmer430

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on February 26, 2012, 05:07:00 PM
Did 2o6 hack into your account? Those are some ugly vehicles...

Do you see any Chinese cars on my list?  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TBR

I thought very seriously about buying a mint first gen coupe for about $2k a few years back, but the owner was a flake. That was a gorgeous car. Much better looking than the 2nd gen coupe imho. (1st gen coupe > 2nd gen sedan > 1st gen sedan > 2nd gen coupe).

My current favorite two sedans (should be no surprise):

(Just like that one too)

(Also just like this one, though I would want to see one with the black out package in person)

Out of production:

Rupert

Shit, I forgot about the Citroen SM. Yeah, that's number one.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

DS is my #1. All time fave. It was right at home in futuristic Caprica.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Rupert on February 27, 2012, 08:59:35 PM
Shit, I forgot about the Citroen SM. Yeah, that's number one.

The Citroen SM is awesome, but it's a fastback coupe!  ;)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

The new M5 is definitely in the running for me.  I really like the current XJL too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV