Chipping....what's the worst that could happen?

Started by Raza , February 26, 2012, 09:10:46 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 27, 2012, 07:25:58 PM
It doesn't.

Unless the modification caused the failure.

You go in with engine problems and they find you're chipped, of course it will be denied. No difference if it were a cam or head swap.

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 07:30:34 PM
Again, the moniker that adorned the intake cover is irrelevant. He asked for technical info, he received it, and of course there are fundamental differences - the power difference is substantial.

Fundamental differences like an entirely different engine design you missed mean.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on February 27, 2012, 07:30:51 PM
You troll, you prove. I will judge fairly.

Right I'm a troll because I actually have first hand knowledge and experience on the subject vs your completely uninformed opinion.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

MrH

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 07:44:23 PM
Fundamental differences like an entirely different engine design you missed mean.

:confused:
How so?

You guys are getting schools by cougs. This is ugly.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: r0tor on February 27, 2012, 07:46:17 PM
Right I'm a troll because I actually have first hand knowledge and experience on the subject vs your completely uninformed opinion.

No, I think you're trolling because you got all emo. Can't you have a different opinion without getting unglued?

CJ

There may be some side effects of chipping.  How about we all agree on that?

Rupert

Wow, dudes, this is pretty sad.

As far as picking some reality from the troll shit, Soup pretty much nailed it. Yes, there are trade-offs, period. No, they probably aren't a huge deal. IMO, bottom line for Raza is to figure out what the specific trade-offs are. Maybe they're insignificant, maybe they aren't; it's up to him to judge, since it's his car.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CALL_911

Quote from: Rupert on February 27, 2012, 09:21:38 PM
Wow, dudes, this is pretty sad.

As far as picking some reality from the troll shit, Soup pretty much nailed it. Yes, there are trade-offs, period. No, they probably aren't a huge deal. IMO, bottom line for Raza is to figure out what the specific trade-offs are. Maybe they're insignificant, maybe they aren't; it's up to him to judge, since it's his car.

Uh......that's pretty much what Cougs said.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Not quite, but I never said I was refuting Cougs, did I?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

hounddog

Quote from: MrH on February 27, 2012, 05:37:55 PM
He lashed out at Cougs about something he doesn't have the faintest idea about. 
WTH are you talking about?

How do you claim to know anything more than a guy who did moderate modding to a 6.0l GTO? 

Wow. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Rupert

hd is saddest/funniest when he exerts his girthy internetry towards defending his pet friend, rohan.

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on February 28, 2012, 12:27:36 AM
hd is saddest/funniest when he exerts his girthy internetry towards defending his pet friend, rohan.
Yet, you resort to name calling and stupid assery while providing absolutely nothing of substance in any way.

100% you normal and remarkably old and predictable routine.

Prove in some manner MrHs claims.  :huh:

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Rupert

Watch as the troll accuses you of doing exactly what he's been doing the whole time! See his cognitive dissonance! Just make sure to avoid the Spittle Zone!

Tomorrow: The troll sees what he's done, apologizes for being drunk, and does it again! Or! He just retreats for a week in shame!

This wonder of nature only happens every two weeks, and you're lucky enough to get to see it!

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on February 28, 2012, 12:36:46 AM
Watch as the troll accuses you of doing exactly what he's been doing the whole time! See his cognitive dissonance! Just make sure to avoid the Spittle Zone!

Tomorrow: The troll sees what he's done, apologizes for being drunk, and does it again! Or! He just retreats for a week in shame!

This wonder of nature only happens every two weeks, and you're lucky enough to get to see it!

Quote from: hounddog on February 28, 2012, 12:32:41 AM

Yet, you resort to name calling and stupid assery while providing absolutely nothing of substance in any way.

100% you normal and remarkably old and predictable routine.

Prove in some manner MrHs claims.  :huh:

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

AutobahnSHO

In answer to the original post question-  it could assplode.

I agree maybe not the first week (or year or 3-4) post-chip, but there is a reason the factory OMG LIMITS YOUR HORSIES!!!!

Will

r0tor

I can see nothing has changed with the unfounded fearmongering since I left the thread last night....

Eye of the Tiger

Chips have sharp edges and prickley pins. They have been proven to cause epidermal fissures, which can lead to death. One should avoid contact with chips at all costs.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Wow, this got heated.  I didn't expect that.  In case you're wondering, I'm reading every post and logging it in my mind, I'm just not responding because, like I said, I am not an expert and this isn't one of those threads where I pre-made up my mind before asking.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Hmm I have a few questions. One when is the lease up? Two, how much would you be willing to invest in mods? I think if you threw on the full gamut (intake, downpipe, exhaust, suspension, brakes), you could have a "new" car for not a lot of money. IMO you either have to do it all or leave it alone. Once you crack that floodgate you will want more so you might as well go whole hog.

A chip is fine for more power, but I think an intake + exhaust + downpipe would really add to the experience. I would say all of that + installation would cost you $1500 or so.

Coilovers are actually pretty cheap for VWs cause so many people buy them. $1000 installed + aligned.

People often neglect brakes (I don't know why). You don't need much. Brembo rotors and pads will transform your shizz. $1000 installed + aligned.

$3500-4000 sounds like a lot on top of buying the car. But you know this car. Might as well keep it + run it into the ground. I imagine the residual prob not being too brutal anyway ($10-13K?). But I would wait till the lease is up, see what else is out there and if you don't find anything you can commit to go forth with the GLI enhancements. Modding cars works best when you do it holistically.

Dont bother listening to any of these chowderheads. rohan + hounddog seem like loud mouthed alcoholic trolls, note how they haven't actually offered you any advice. Cougs is probably too scared to plug an aftermarket accessory into his 12V socket for fear of besmirching the almighty OEM gods. Etc. I might be a little crazy but I have "built" 3 cars in the last 5 years. If you use quality parts it will be fine.

giant_mtb

Quote from: Raza  on February 28, 2012, 07:03:59 AM
Wow, this got heated.  I didn't expect that.  In case you're wondering, I'm reading every post and logging it in my mind, I'm just not responding because, like I said, I am not an expert and this isn't one of those threads where I pre-made up my mind before asking.

If you get yours chipped, I'll get mine chipped. :wub:

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 28, 2012, 07:18:03 AM
Hmm I have a few questions. One when is the lease up? Two, how much would you be willing to invest in mods? I think if you threw on the full gamut (intake, downpipe, exhaust, suspension, brakes), you could have a "new" car for not a lot of money. IMO you either have to do it all or leave it alone. Once you crack that floodgate you will want more so you might as well go whole hog.

A chip is fine for more power, but I think an intake + exhaust + downpipe would really add to the experience. I would say all of that + installation would cost you $1500 or so.

Coilovers are actually pretty cheap for VWs cause so many people buy them. $1000 installed + aligned.

People often neglect brakes (I don't know why). You don't need much. Brembo rotors and pads will transform your shizz. $1000 installed + aligned.

$3500-4000 sounds like a lot on top of buying the car. But you know this car. Might as well keep it + run it into the ground. I imagine the residual prob not being too brutal anyway ($10-13K?). But I would wait till the lease is up, see what else is out there and if you don't find anything you can commit to go forth with the GLI enhancements. Modding cars works best when you do it holistically.

Dont bother listening to any of these chowderheads. rohan + hounddog seem like loud mouthed alcoholic trolls, note how they haven't actually offered you any advice. Cougs is probably too scared to plug an aftermarket accessory into his 12V socket for fear of besmirching the almighty OEM gods. Etc. I might be a little crazy but I have "built" 3 cars in the last 5 years. If you use quality parts it will be fine.

Lease is up in July.

I'm not planning on investing much in mods; if I do decide to keep it long term, I'll be adding a second car (944 convertible or E36 M3 convertible are in the running) that's much sportier, open top, and RWD.  So I don't need to go crazy for a daily driver.

I was planning on the chip and Koni FSDs.  Coilovers are probably over-aggressive for the street and considering how much bumpy highway miles I put on.  The Konis are like $500, I assume about $500 to install [EDIT:  $1000 for the full kit with FSDs and Eibach springs].  With that kind of power and a bit more firmness in the suspension (it's not like the car is a pudding right now, it's essentially running the same suspension that the 2006 GTIs and GLIs ran, if I'm correct), it would make a great daily driver.  

And I like the way the car sounds now anyway, so I don't think I'd get a lot by investing in an intake and exhaust.  Stage 1 gets me more power than I think is strictly necessary already.  

The Konis:

http://www.koni.com/190.html

http://www.koni-na.com/fsdeibach.cfm
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

r0tor

Cookie Monster

I would say probably $300-400 to install the springs and shocks. If you have any mechanically savvy friends, they could help you put it on, too. It's pretty simple; you just need the right tools. I would do it if I lived closer to you.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 28, 2012, 07:18:03 AM

Spending $4k on a $10k car is a bad idea; just buy a better performing, more reliable, new(er) car.

Wouldn't poke at me too much - your last project car was a POS from stem to stern.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on February 28, 2012, 12:25:29 PM
Spending $4k on a $10k car is a bad idea; just buy a better performing, more reliable, new(er) car.

And put yourself back in the worst slice of the depreciation curve?

Quote from: GoCougs on February 28, 2012, 12:25:29 PMWouldn't poke at me too much - your last project car was a POS from stem to stern.
Rather enjoy a POS project car than suffer paralysis from automotive cowardice. Whens the last time you turned a wrench on any car?

hotrodalex

Cougs, manufactures don't make cars with tons of power because of multiple reasons - emissions, gas mileage, NVH, cost, etc. Obviously some of those things will be sacrificed if Raza gets a chip. But a mild chip will not kill his engine. Modern engines are robust enough to last for hundreds of thousands of miles. I'm sure the VW electronics will fizzle out before a mildly tuned engine will go kaput.

The warranty is a non-issue since he said that is long gone. So like I said before, the only problem would be the lease terms, but even that isn't much of a big deal if it's up in July.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on February 28, 2012, 12:32:56 PM
And put yourself back in the worst slice of the depreciation curve?

Uh, that $4k evaporates the second you spend it, plus that level of mod will hurt resale and leave you with a less reliable car...

Rather enjoy a POS project car than suffer paralysis from automotive cowardice. Whens the last time you turned a wrench on any car?

More like automotive ignorance from my POV. It's been a while since I turned a wrench and probably never will again - I don't even change my own oil. I'll just buy whatever performance level I want. Make no mistake though, by what you've described, I have more experience wrenching on cars than you, and got more than my fill.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on February 28, 2012, 12:58:25 PM
Uh, that $4k evaporates the second you spend it, plus that level of mod will hurt resale and leave you with a less reliable car...

It doesn't evaporate, it's magically turns into fun.  :ohyeah:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: hotrodalex on February 28, 2012, 01:03:25 PM
It doesn't evaporate, it's magically turns into fun.  :ohyeah:

:ohyeah:

If I could chip either of my vehicles and get the same performamce increase as Raza's Jetter, I would do it in a heartbeat. It's a no brainer for me, but I don't lease.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on February 28, 2012, 12:58:25 PM
He can recoup a bit if he goes back to stock when he sells, and people who would get the mods anyway would be willing to pay a premium for them.

Quote from: GoCougs on February 28, 2012, 12:58:25 PMMore like automotive ignorance from my POV.
And what exactly is your POV worth? Your pragmatic to the point of OCD; any reason to drive the most boring car possible is enough rationale for you. Your opinion on these matters are like the opinions of a hermit on where the best parties are. "agghh well its so noisy, and someone might step on your shoes, and its a huge waste of money" Man just keep stepping with all that garbage, its of no value to the conversation.