Edmunds: Ion Redline

Started by ifcar, October 11, 2005, 04:13:42 PM

Raghavan

QuoteAnd you've had experience in the Elise too, I take it, for comparison? No?
I've sat in one. Does that count? :lol:
I think you know the answer to that.  :rolleyes:
Oh go away. <_<  :lol:  

Raza

QuoteSays the person who claims he would have no trouble driving an Elise or Exige on a regular basis. <_<
I can, but most people can't.
That's my line....

Most people can bother with an SRT-4 as a daily driver.  Every person I've talked to with an SRT-4 uses it as their daily driver, and not all of them are particularly young.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

I'm sure I could live with one daily, it just wouldn't be enjoyable to do so.  

Raza

QuoteI'm sure I could live with one daily, it just wouldn't be enjoyable to do so.
I don't think it's very hard to live with a car like that.  It's still a four door saloon, with five seats (I think, maybe 4).  It's got all the convenience of a sedan with a go fast injection.  The only thing that may be rough on you is the suspension, which could get older bones aching after half and hour on city streets.  An Elise, though claimed liveable by me, would involve real sacrifices to drive daily.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

The SRT-4 has an awful boomy engine and exhaust, which I would get more tired of in daily driving even than the stiff ride. And there just isn't an oppurtunity to enjoy the vehicle during that time, it would only be an irritation for me.

Raza

QuoteThe SRT-4 has an awful boomy engine and exhaust, which I would get more tired of in daily driving even than the stiff ride. And there just isn't an oppurtunity to enjoy the vehicle during that time, it would only be an irritation for me.
I guess I didn't think about the noise.  But even then, there's no real loss in practicality.  It's a minor sacrifice, compared to the restrictions of a car like the Elise.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

QuoteThe SRT-4 has an awful boomy engine and exhaust, which I would get more tired of in daily driving even than the stiff ride. And there just isn't an oppurtunity to enjoy the vehicle during that time, it would only be an irritation for me.
Man, that's the best part of the SRT-4. The exhaust note. :praise:  The onbly thing i probably wouldn't be able to handle would be the torque steer. <_<  

Raza

Man, that's the best part of the SRT-4. The exhaust note. :praise:  The onbly thing i probably wouldn't be able to handle would be the torque steer. <_<
Start doing curls.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raghavan

Start doing curls.
LAZY.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

I guess I didn't think about the noise.  But even then, there's no real loss in practicality.  It's a minor sacrifice, compared to the restrictions of a car like the Elise.
Right, you aren't making sacrifices to drive it daily. But you aren't getting anything out of it either. The point of the car is to be enjoyable to drive, and there's nothing enjoyable about driving an SRT-4 in traffic.  

Raza

Right, you aren't making sacrifices to drive it daily. But you aren't getting anything out of it either. The point of the car is to be enjoyable to drive, and there's nothing enjoyable about driving an SRT-4 in traffic.
That part may be true, though I still find some time to get a little fun out of my commute.  You never know when you'll find a shortcut that takes you longer, but in a good way.

Of course, if you're talking city driving, highway driving, then you're not getting any advantage of an SRT-4 over an Accord V6, that much is true.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SaltyDog

QuoteIt gets "pwned" by the SRT-4.  So what if it's slightly cheaper.
Try to drive the SRT-4 on a regular basis. :rolleyes:
I'm not a pussy ;)  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

ifcar

That part may be true, though I still find some time to get a little fun out of my commute.  You never know when you'll find a shortcut that takes you longer, but in a good way.

Of course, if you're talking city driving, highway driving, then you're not getting any advantage of an SRT-4 over an Accord V6, that much is true.
My commute is very direct. A couple of blocks to the highway, follow the highway, get off a few blocks from destination.  

Raza

I remember you saying that.  That's why I mentioned the city and highway driving.  I've still got some good roads that are windy and don't have cops on them on my commute---I'd love an SRT-4 in place of my Passat.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

280Z Turbo

Torque steer isn't like a snapped tension rod, it's just a slight tugging at the wheel during acceleration. My Saab Turbo was still fun to drive despite the torque steer.

ifcar

And unless you're racing it, you probably won't even notice that.  

Raza

QuoteAnd unless you're racing it, you probably won't even notice that.
I feel the tug now and then.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

On the Passat? :blink:

Of course, you now doubt drive like you're racing all the time.  

Raza

QuoteOn the Passat? :blink:

Of course, you now doubt drive like you're racing all the time.
I feel it now and then, not in a long time.  It was particularly on one road in Altoona, a steep uphill.  That might have just been the design of the road, since torque steer is/was an entirely new sensation for me.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i