$2-3k fun

Started by 850CSi, February 28, 2012, 02:32:13 PM

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26862.msg1678201#msg1678201 date=1330612514
I can't imagine being able to find a better car than a two door in which one door, the trunk, the windows don't open, with a seatbelt that doesn't work connected to a seat that needs to be fixed in a car that need suspension work.

Dude, do you just look at the pictures!?

Personally I'll shy away from any car or truck that has the following modifications.

Lowered or raised
cold air intake
body kit
aftermarket spoiler
wheels larger than stock by over 1" diameter.

And, all to often luxury cars get in the hands of second or third owners and aren't maintained properly because of the cost of doing so.  They wear them out or perform bodge repairs and dump them.

850CSi

^talking about E36s of that year/mileage generally

TurboDan

Not sure why the E90 would be the "backup" car and the beater would be the DD in your situation. How many miles do you drive annually? I suspect my driving situation is far different than yours (I drive about 22K per year) but still.

FWIW, what are the prices looking like on old Acura Integras or Honda Preludes? Either one of those could be decently fun to drive.

Realistically, I think you two both have to admit you need your parents' help in all of this. Personally, I'd just keep the E90 and tell the chick she's on her own.  Or if you're that hell-bent on switching cars, trade in the E90 for an F30 and maybe go half on the payments with your parents?

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on March 01, 2012, 02:47:25 PM
Not sure why the E90 would be the "backup" car and the beater would be the DD in your situation. How many miles do you drive annually? I suspect my driving situation is far different than yours (I drive about 22K per year) but still.

FWIW, what are the prices looking like on old Acura Integras or Honda Preludes? Either one of those could be decently fun to drive.

Realistically, I think you two both have to admit you need your parents' help in all of this. Personally, I'd just keep the E90 and tell the chick she's on her own.  Or if you're that hell-bent on switching cars, trade in the E90 for an F30 and maybe go half on the payments with your parents?

He's going to keep the E90 as a DD and the beater around for emergencies/convenience.

And he's fine not getting his parents' help; he just needs to prioritize what he can get in a $2,000 car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on March 01, 2012, 02:57:27 PM
He's going to keep the E90 as a DD and the beater around for emergencies/convenience.

And he's fine not getting his parents' help; he just needs to prioritize what he can get in a $2,000 car. 

Ahh, OK. But how about some Integras or Preludes? The only risk would be that these cars tended to be heavily modded.

I'll throw another one out -- Mitsu Eclipse?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MiataJohn on March 01, 2012, 07:52:44 AM
Personally I'll shy away from any car or truck that has the following modifications.

Lowered or raised
cold air intake
body kit
aftermarket spoiler

And, all to often luxury cars get in the hands of second or third owners and aren't maintained properly because of the cost of doing so.  They wear them out or perform bodge repairs and dump them.
Thats a good list. I'd like to add aftermarket radios also.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

850CSi

Quote from: TurboDan on March 01, 2012, 02:47:25 PM

See Raza's post. And I drive a fair amount, but a large chunk of that is road trips, for which the E90 will always be used. For partially selfish reasons, this is part of why I don't want her to buy an auto mainstreamer at this point - because that'd end up becoming our road trip car and I really don't want that to happen.

QuoteFWIW, what are the prices looking like on old Acura Integras or Honda Preludes? Either one of those could be decently fun to drive.

Will keep these in mind.

QuoteRealistically, I think you two both have to admit you need your parents' help in all of this. Personally, I'd just keep the E90 and tell the chick she's on her own.  Or if you're that hell-bent on switching cars, trade in the E90 for an F30 and maybe go half on the payments with your parents?

"the chick" will probably be my wife within the next year or so, hence why we're trying to avoid mooching off of our parents. She's actually been almost completely financially independent from her parents since she started college. I want to pay for her grad school (I'll make enough this summer to pay for her first year's tuition, and that's assuming she gets no grants/scholarships), but even if I can't her taking loans for it won't be a problem, though it's less attractive since there are no such things as subsidized loans anymore. Plus I don't even want an F30; I've pretty much decided that I want to keep the E90 until it literally dies.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to study abroad for at least one semester next year, though, as it seems like she intends on taking a year off before she starts grad school. That complicates things, because it means we are definitely going to need a car for the semester that we're here in NC, but obviously need none for the semester we're gone. I graduate next year, and start work after that. These decisions would be easier if I was positive where I'd be working, but I won't know for sure for at least another 5-6 months. This wouldn't be such a major issue if the financial ramifications weren't enormous.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on March 01, 2012, 10:37:47 PM
See Raza's post. And I drive a fair amount, but a large chunk of that is road trips, for which the E90 will always be used. For partially selfish reasons, this is part of why I don't want her to buy an auto mainstreamer at this point - because that'd end up becoming our road trip car and I really don't want that to happen.

Will keep these in mind.

"the chick" will probably be my wife within the next year or so, hence why we're trying to avoid mooching off of our parents. She's actually been almost completely financially independent from her parents since she started college. I want to pay for her grad school (I'll make enough this summer to pay for her first year's tuition, and that's assuming she gets no grants/scholarships), but even if I can't her taking loans for it won't be a problem, though it's less attractive since there are no such things as subsidized loans anymore. Plus I don't even want an F30; I've pretty much decided that I want to keep the E90 until it literally dies.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to study abroad for at least one semester next year, though, as it seems like she intends on taking a year off before she starts grad school. That complicates things, because it means we are definitely going to need a car for the semester that we're here in NC, but obviously need none for the semester we're gone. I graduate next year, and start work after that. These decisions would be easier if I was positive where I'd be working, but I won't know for sure for at least another 5-6 months. This wouldn't be such a major issue if the financial ramifications weren't enormous.

Study abroad in law school?  Don't other countries have different laws than we do?  What's the point of that?

Also, from the sound of it, I can tell you feel trapped by your relationship and your car.  The solution?  Dump the bitch, dump the 325i, buy an E46 M3, quit law school, and make beats.  

Dude, and you're already paying for her grad school?  She's got her claws in deep.  You're like 22, you shouldn't be paying for anyone's grad school but your own.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: MiataJohn on March 01, 2012, 07:52:44 AM

Lowered or raised
cold air intake
body kit
aftermarket spoiler

I'm the same way. That's why it's hard to find an RX-7 that I'd buy. Now me putting stuff on is different!

850CSi

comparative/intl law-type stuff

nah i have everything exactly the way i want it to be
and that was mean

yeah, she's basically my wife. and her tuition is cheap. its a bit of a tradeoff in part bc if things pan oit for me i can afford it easily while in the future she will probably be earning most of our income if i go into public service.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on March 02, 2012, 08:15:15 AM

and that was mean

yeah, she's basically my wife. and her tuition is cheap. its a bit of a tradeoff in part bc if things pan oit for me i can afford it easily while in the future she will probably be earning most of our income if i go into public service.

It was supposed to be lighthearted, not mean.  I probably should have used smileys, but you know I don't like to.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

850CSi

Quote from: Raza  on March 02, 2012, 09:07:34 AM
It was supposed to be lighthearted, not mean.  I probably should have used smileys, but you know I don't like to.

Heh, I know.

Raza

Quote from: 850CSi on March 02, 2012, 09:10:37 AM
Heh, I know.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for her tuition or work in the public sector. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on March 02, 2012, 07:03:57 AM
I'm the same way. That's why it's hard to find an RX-7 that I'd buy. Now me putting stuff on is different!

Same here. As much as I hate the cheapo 16" parts-bin wheels my car originally came with, the choice in aftermarket rims that other people select hurts my eyes sometimes. That said, I think that I have the best rims you could put on the car, and anyone who says otherwise is a lying bastard.

FoMoJo

Quote from: 850CSi on March 02, 2012, 08:15:15 AM

and that was mean

Public service as in politics?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."