Jaguar XF Sportbrake!

Started by 2o6, February 28, 2012, 08:44:50 PM

omicron

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 29, 2012, 04:51:28 PM
That looks like a Jaguar? We must not be seeing the same car.

It's good looking, there's no doubt about that, but it doesn't look like a Jaguar, in the traditional sense.

Poorly-worded, my mistake. It's more like what I envisage a modern Jaguar to be, now that they've decided once and for all to move away from the traditional styling. The XF sedan at launch was just dreadful, boring slop with goggle-eyes, pleats and a ridiculously-oversized rear. This has lovely bonnet creases and angry faces and a nice bottom and looks like someone actually bothered this time round. Plus it's a wagon, which is instantly better.

With that said, mind:

No modern Jaguar comes close to this.

sportyaccordy

I like all the modern Jags. A little derivative but who cares. Still among the best designs in their segments. The XF looks way better than the origami E-class for example. XJ SWB is the sexiest car in its segment by a wide margin, in AND out. I think the black D pillar is a little cheesy but it adds a little character.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 01, 2012, 06:06:02 AM
I like all the modern Jags. A little derivative but who cares. Still among the best designs in their segments. The XF looks way better than the origami E-class for example. XJ SWB is the sexiest car in its segment by a wide margin, in AND out. I think the black D pillar is a little cheesy but it adds a little character.

I think that's more of a comment on the luxury market than anything else.  Sure, the XF looks decent, but I'd put it far behind both the A6 and the new GS.  It's on the same level as the old GS, since it looks the same.

The XJ is one of the worst looking cars on the market at any price, however, and by far the worst looking car in that class. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Well it appears we disagree then. More out of warranty XJs for moi

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 01, 2012, 07:09:43 AM
Well it appears we disagree then. More out of warranty XJs for moi

Dude, I wouldn't wish the nightmare of an out-of-warranty modern Jaguar on anyone.  I mean, all these new generation big luxury cars are just rolling 4,000 pound computers.  They're meant to be used for the lease period and tossed aside.  I can't wait for the day the gear knob doesn't pop out of the dash and you can't go anywhere because you can't get it out of park.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

The car will prob cost like $2K out of warranty and be a junkyard king. No worries

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 01, 2012, 07:45:01 AM
The car will prob cost like $2K out of warranty and be a junkyard king. No worries

:lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Quote from: omicron on March 01, 2012, 05:43:40 AM

That is so hot. They should have produced this thing with zero design adjustments. THAT is perfection.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Submariner

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 29, 2012, 04:51:28 PM
That looks like a Jaguar? We must not be seeing the same car.

It's good looking, there's no doubt about that, but it doesn't look like a Jaguar, in the traditional sense.

Not many cars look like their older brothers and sisters.  Porsche seems to be the only automaker that can get away with that.

Quote from: SVT666 on February 29, 2012, 04:54:52 PM
Good thing too, because Jaguars that look like Jaguars (in the traditional sense) don't sell.

It's true.

I love my car - I love the way it looks, drives, feels, etc.  I've even gotten a lot of positive comments on it, but let's be honest, it didn't sell well.  Jaguar had to do something or risk slipping further into irrelevancy.

For what it's worth, the new XJ is epic. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

Quote from: Submariner on March 01, 2012, 01:47:04 PM
Not many cars look like their older brothers and sisters.  Porsche seems to be the only automaker that can get away with that.

It's true.

I love my car - I love the way it looks, drives, feels, etc.  I've even gotten a lot of positive comments on it, but let's be honest, it didn't sell well.  Jaguar had to do something or risk slipping further into irrelevancy.

For what it's worth, the new XJ is epic. 

I'm not sure if Porsche actually gets away with it. The Panamera is terrible, the Cayenne was never really a looker, but the 911 looks good.

SVT666

....and they all sell well despite that.  They get away with it.

Atomic

Quote from: MiataJohn on February 29, 2012, 10:54:13 AM
True, but it's not nearly as noticable on the sedan because of the roofline rear glass and boot lid being lower than the backend of the wagon.
but damn inexcusable for a high priced vehicle. the tacky side air vent, especially if not functional must go, along with the horrible black "wagon window" eyesore and the chunky front air-dam. otherwise, nice car  ;)