Wow, engine oil is EXPENSIVE...

Started by cawimmer430, March 01, 2012, 04:21:09 PM

cawimmer430

The 118i was low on oil and so I pulled into a gas station to buy some. BMW recommends Castrol but this gas station (Esso) only had oil from Mobil. I plucked a 1L bottle of 0W30 (BMW recommends 0W30 or 0W50 for the 118i) from the stand and nearly suffered a heart attack at the price: 25 Euros. Whoa. The last time I bought oil at a Shell gas station (Shell Helix I believe it was called) for the 118i it was much, much cheaper.  :confused:

This was the oil I used...

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

giant_mtb

Holy shit.  Different brands and types of oil cost different prices?  Some cost more and gas stations usually overcharge a lot for it?!  No.  Fucking.  Way.

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 01, 2012, 04:23:31 PM
Holy shit.  Different brands and types of oil cost different prices?  Some cost more and gas stations usually overcharge a lot for it?!  No.  Fucking.  Way.

Sarcasm detected.

I know that gas stations overcharge. I was really low on oil. I got a red warning light and I didn't want to risk anything.

Just out of curiosity, I'll check out the prices of 0W30 oil from different brands at an independent car shop in the next few days.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Stop driving piece of shit BMW's that leak oil. My VAN doesn't even use oil.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 01, 2012, 04:26:22 PM
Stop driving piece of shit BMW's that leak oil. My VAN doesn't even use oil.

:lol:

It doesn't leak oil. The last time I filled it up with oil was 8,200 km ago.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 01, 2012, 04:25:53 PM
Sarcasm detected.

I know that gas stations overcharge. I was really low on oil. I got a red warning light and I didn't want to risk anything.

Just out of curiosity, I'll check out the prices of 0W30 oil from different brands at an independent car shop in the next few days.

How often do you check your oil? Or is BMW still pulling that shit where they don't let you check your own oil?

giant_mtb

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 01, 2012, 04:25:53 PM
Sarcasm detected.

Yes, yes; sorry for being an ass about it. :lol:

Oil is still pretty inexpensive here, I'd say.  You can go to WalMart and get a 5-quart jug for like $14 (10 Euros).  I get Castrol synthetic and end up paying about $40 (30 Euros) for an oil change's worth.

Though I once paid over $7 at a gas station for bargain oil for the Bravvy.  I was not please.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 01, 2012, 04:31:11 PM
How often do you check your oil? Or is BMW still pulling that shit where they don't let you check your own oil?

Over the last two months I've been periodically checking the oil stand via the board computer. It only works if the engine has reached its optimal operating temperature and if the car has driven over 15 km. The oil level was low but still within normal parameters. But today I had a lengthy 300 km drive and then I got the low oil warning. I'm sure there was enough to get me back to Munich, but I don't want to risk anything, hence I filled up. Now the oil level is about 85% full.

Yeah, I miss the days of the dipstick...  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 01, 2012, 04:33:47 PM
Yes, yes; sorry for being an ass about it. :lol:

Oil is still pretty inexpensive here, I'd say.  You can go to WalMart and get a 5-quart jug for like $14 (10 Euros).  I get Castrol synthetic and end up paying about $40 (30 Euros) for an oil change's worth.

I'm looking online at engine oil prices right now. Would you believe some people are trying to sell you this stuff on Ebay?  :mask:

And wow, you can buy a 5-L oil can for 99 Euros.  :mask:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 01, 2012, 04:33:56 PM
Over the last two months I've been periodically checking the oil stand via the board computer. It only works if the engine has reached its optimal operating temperature and if the car has driven over 15 km. The oil level was low but still within normal parameters. But today I had a lengthy 300 km drive and then I got the low oil warning. I'm sure there was enough to get me back to Munich, but I don't want to risk anything, hence I filled up. Now the oil level is about 85% full.

Yeah, I miss the days of the dipstick...  :cry:

Wow, that still means I'd never get to check my oil. The longest routine trip I make is to my parents' house every weekend, and that's literally like 14 km away. Yeah, I could drive in a circle for 1 km, but...really?

This is a travesty. I'd love an E92 convertible as my next car, but every time I'm reminded of shit like this, I go :facepalm:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 01, 2012, 04:45:05 PM
Wow, that still means I'd never get to check my oil. The longest routine trip I make is to my parents' house every weekend, and that's literally like 14 km away. Yeah, I could drive in a circle for 1 km, but...really?

It's not that bad. I usually make a mental note to check the oil after a long trip every few weeks. I might be on a country road or cruising on the Autobahn. I simply go to the CHECK OIL section on the board computer and ask it to check the oil levels. The results come back within two seconds. So it's not really a problem.

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 01, 2012, 04:45:05 PMThis is a travesty. I'd love an E92 convertible as my next car, but every time I'm reminded of shit like this, I go :facepalm:

Again, it's not so bad. Just make a mental note to check the oil after you've driven the car for a while. It's simply good to know what your oil levels are.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 01, 2012, 04:52:21 PM
It's not that bad. I usually make a mental note to check the oil after a long trip every few weeks. I might be on a country road or cruising on the Autobahn. I simply go to the CHECK OIL section on the board computer and ask it to check the oil levels. The results come back within two seconds. So it's not really a problem.

Again, it's not so bad. Just make a mental note to check the oil after you've driven the car for a while. It's simply good to know what your oil levels are.

The point I was trying to make is that if I have to drive 15 km before the onboard computer can take a measure of the oil level, then I essentially won't be able to, because the longest trip I make on a regular basis is literally 14 km.

I check my oil every time I fill up my fuel tank (almost). I usually have to add a quart about every 3,000 miles. I also like being able to look at the color and clarity of the oil to see if and how quickly it's getting dirty.

sportyaccordy

I'm sure motor oil is taxed to high hell by your omniscient gov't

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 01, 2012, 05:04:56 PM
The point I was trying to make is that if I have to drive 15 km before the onboard computer can take a measure of the oil level, then I essentially won't be able to, because the longest trip I make on a regular basis is literally 14 km.

I check my oil every time I fill up my fuel tank (almost). I usually have to add a quart about every 3,000 miles. I also like being able to look at the color and clarity of the oil to see if and how quickly it's getting dirty.

I'm not sure how many km's an E92 needs to be driven in order for the computer to read the oil levels correctly, but on an E87 118i it's 15 km. I don't even have to check the oil levels with the car idling. After say a 20 km journey I can park the car, turn off the engine and have the computer give me a readout. I think there's some sort of measuring sensors down there that monitor the flow of oil and that's how it can measure the levels.

I gotta check if my dads E350 CGI has a dipstick. I knew our W211 had one...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 01, 2012, 06:02:50 PM
I'm sure motor oil is taxed to high hell by your omniscient gov't

Wouldn't surprise me. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

VTEC_Inside

25 euros is pretty nuts even marked up.

1L M1 synthetic is only about $10 here. Heck I've been using Amsoil and its only about $13/L.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

Lebowski

I just got some 0w-20 Mobil 1 for the 4runner and it was expensive as shit (had the oil change done at the stealership, but bought oil at an auto parts store on the way).

For the corvette I've always been able to find 5w-30 mobile 1 at Walmart at Costco, which helps.

cawimmer430

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on March 01, 2012, 07:38:44 PM
25 euros is pretty nuts even marked up.

1L M1 synthetic is only about $10 here. Heck I've been using Amsoil and its only about $13/L.

And that surprised me. The last time I bought oil at a Shell gas station the price was reasonable. It was definitely under 25 Euros, more around 15 Euros (or what you literally pay for your oil). I really don't care what kind of oil I put into the car as long as it is compatible. If I have the choice of three oils that are compatible with my car, I'll go for the cheapest one.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Onslaught

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

@ Vinsanity

http://youtu.be/TAMapjupRpU

^Didn't drive 15 km, so the computer couldn't tell me how much oil I currently have...^  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 02, 2012, 10:03:48 AM
@ Vinsanity

http://youtu.be/TAMapjupRpU

^Didn't drive 15 km, so the computer couldn't tell me how much oil I currently have...^  :lol:

Yeah...so basically, I'll have to drive in a circle for an additional 1km before/after going to my parents' house if I want to check my oil level. And that's a trip I only make at specific times.

Earth to BMW: there was nothing wrong with the dipstick. It allows you to check the oil at your own convenience, and for you to see the cleanliness and consistency of it in addition to that.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 02, 2012, 10:16:52 AM
Yeah...so basically, I'll have to drive in a circle for an additional 1km before/after going to my parents' house if I want to check my oil level. And that's a trip I only make at specific times.

Get a girlfriend and make sure she lives over 15 km away from you.  :lol:

It's not that bad really. When I drive longer distances I'll make a mental note to check the oil levels. Or BMW can actually tell you how much oil, fuel, tire pressure etc. is by sticking your key fob into a device at their dealerships. The key fob will automatically save the data even without you performing the oil check. I was so amazed the last time I brought the car in for servicing when the guy who took my key fob and stuck it into a device told me that my tire pressure in the rear wheels was down by 0.2 bar.  :mask:

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 02, 2012, 10:16:52 AMEarth to BMW: there was nothing wrong with the dipstick. It allows you to check the oil at your own convenience, and for you to see the cleanliness and consistency of it in addition to that.

A dipstick is just one of the many things that can and will go wrong causing $$$ maintenance!

Oh wait...  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Vinsanity on March 02, 2012, 10:16:52 AM

Earth to BMW: there was nothing wrong with the dipstick. It allows you to check the oil at your own convenience, and for you to see the cleanliness and consistency of it in addition to that.

I put the question to a BMW salesman when a buddy of mine was looking at buying a 328i.

His response was that "BMW owners don't check their oil"...

Thats great... Yet C&D reported that several BMW owners were OVERFILLING their cars with oil when the low oil "idiot" light was acting up on their cars.

It makes sense to me that MOST BMW owners dont even open their hoods, but the cars will eventually need to be serviced, and a dipstick can help out a tech a lot....

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

cawimmer430

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on March 02, 2012, 10:25:13 AM

Ask them if their BMW is FWD.

"Well yes, it moves forward!"  :thumbsup:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

S204STi

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 01, 2012, 04:21:09 PM
The 118i was low on oil and so I pulled into a gas station to buy some. BMW recommends Castrol but this gas station (Esso) only had oil from Mobil. I plucked a 1L bottle of 0W30 (BMW recommends 0W30 or 0W50 for the 118i) from the stand and nearly suffered a heart attack at the price: 25 Euros. Whoa. The last time I bought oil at a Shell gas station (Shell Helix I believe it was called) for the 118i it was much, much cheaper.  :confused:

This was the oil I used...

Same bottle here would cost roughly $6.

S204STi

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on March 02, 2012, 10:25:13 AM
I put the question to a BMW salesman when a buddy of mine was looking at buying a 328i.

Thats great... Yet C&D reported that several BMW owners were OVERFILLING their cars with oil when the low oil "idiot" light was acting up on their cars.

It makes sense to me that MOST BMW owners dont even open their hoods, but the cars will eventually need to be serviced, and a dipstick can help out a tech a lot....

Most drivers of all makes, period, fail to check their oil.  That doesn't mean you remove the fucking dipstick!

TurboDan

Why is the car sucking down so much oil?

Except for an old beater Mazda my family used to own, I've never had to fill a car up with oil in between oil changes. A 2007 BMW should not be burning all that oil, right?

Sounds like something is wrong.

S204STi

Long oil change intervals and normal use.  My car uses about half a quart between 4000mi oil changes if I drive it hard.  Which is all the time.  Multiply that by two or three.

TurboDan

Quote from: S204STi on March 02, 2012, 12:37:23 PM
Long oil change intervals and normal use.  My car uses about half a quart between 4000mi oil changes if I drive it hard.  Which is all the time.  Multiply that by two or three.

The long OCIs scare me a bit. The Tiguan my mom bought has a 10,000 mile OCI.

The LR2 has a 7,500 OCI but they call for dino oil in the U.S. version. The same exact car everywhere else in the world has a 15,000 mile OCI and calls for full synthetic.

I just got my first oil change with that car and used dino but I might start using synthetic and keeping the 7,500 OCI anyway.