Impressive looking Veyron replica

Started by 565, March 09, 2012, 02:19:11 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bugatti-replica-Fiberglass-Kit-car-Ferrari-red-/290680020927?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item43ade11fbf

I have to say if I saw that on the road, I would have no idea it wasn't a real Veyron with some awful looking rims.  Kudos to the skill of the guys that made it, could not have been easy.

giant_mtb

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

I posted this almost a year ago. Looks like he dropped the price by some $15,000. Yeah, he probably did a lot of work and spent some serious $$$, but who the hell is going to pay that kind of coin for a '02 Cougar automatic?

giant_mtb

For all the time/effort/money put into it...he should've just done something else.  Like build himself a Caterham replica.  Or use a much better donor car.  Anything but a goddamn Cougar.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 09, 2012, 02:39:18 PM
For all the time/effort/money put into it...he should've just done something else.  Like build himself a Caterham replica.  Or use a much better donor car.  Anything but a goddamn Cougar.

Dimensions of the Cougar is probably why he chose it. But yeah, if you build a Ferrari Daytona or 250GT replica using a Corvette donor, you'll see every dime back when you sell it. This Veyron looks great, and he did a masterful job, but I can't imagine giving him more than $15k tops for it.

giant_mtb

Yeah, this Veyron does look pretty damn good.  It'd fool me driving down the street.

I really liked this line...

"I get so many questions asking how fast is the car.  My best reply is fast enough."  :lol:

Yeah, sure.

Payman

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 09, 2012, 02:47:42 PM
Yeah, this Veyron does look pretty damn good.  It'd fool me driving down the street.

"I get so many questions asking how fast is the car.  My best reply is fast enough."  :lol:

Yeah, sure.

The shittiest part of owning this car would be answering questions:

Wow dude! A Veyron?
It's a replica.
Cool! What's the donor?
*looking down at shoes* {cough} Cougar.
{awkward pause}
A '68 Cougar?
{ahem} uh, no... I have to go now.
Ah, okay. Can I race you?
Erm, what are you driving?
Camry.
No.

280Z Turbo

I thought the Cougar was a pretty good car. You guys are making it sound like a 1980's American shitbox.

Payman

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on March 09, 2012, 02:59:24 PM
I thought the Cougar was a pretty good car. You guys are making it sound like a 1980's American shitbox.

You want to pay $70,000 for a 10 yr old fwd economy car with 125,000 miles? Go right ahead. The book value for this car is probably around $2000. And no, it wasn't a horrible car, but it was never competitive in its class either.

hotrodalex

The side mirrors and rear quarter panels give it away.

giant_mtb

I can't imagine a kit like that staying together very well for too long.  The guy says he's put over 4,000 miles on it so far, but if you look at the picture looking into the interior from the passenger's side, you can already see a bunch of marks and stuff at the seatbelt buckle on the center tunnel.

Onslaught

Why make a kit car of something ugly in the first place?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rockraven on March 09, 2012, 03:06:21 PM
You want to pay $70,000 for a 10 yr old fwd economy car with 125,000 miles? Go right ahead. The book value for this car is probably around $2000. And no, it wasn't a horrible car, but it was never competitive in its class either.
WORD!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on March 09, 2012, 04:04:38 PM
Why make a kit car of something ugly in the first place?
I'm so confused.

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 09, 2012, 04:32:55 PM
I'm so confused.
The Veyron is a very impressive car. I respect everything about what it can do. But it's not good looking.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on March 09, 2012, 09:05:58 PM
The Veyron is a very impressive car. I respect everything about what it can do. But it's not good looking.
Oh no I get that. I was agreeing with you. I'm confused as to why someone would go through all the trouble and use such a shitty chassis. For all the $$$$ they could have used an LSx or Porsche Boxster or something. And even with the great craftsmanship its hideous by default

Speed_Racer

Quote from: giant_mtb on March 09, 2012, 02:47:42 PM

Yeah, sure.

Nothing like watching a 'Veyron' smoking the front tires (if a Cougar was able to do that in the first place...)

ifcar

I wonder if this ends up being destroyed for a movie.

AutobahnSHO

That year Cougar was a chick car..

Props to workmanship, wonder what it drives like??  AND I really wonder why Bugatti hasn't sued him for trademark whatever.
Will

giant_mtb

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 10, 2012, 12:14:57 PM

Props to workmanship, wonder what it drives like??  AND I really wonder why Bugatti hasn't sued him for trademark whatever.

Probably because some dude who can't even sell his shitty Cougar Veyron replica means nothing to Bugatti... :huh:

TurboDan

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 10, 2012, 12:14:57 PM

Bingo. Dude in my high school got a shiny, new Cougar as a gift for his 17th birthday and rolled up ready to brag. It didn't go too well...

2o6

Since when are Cougars bad cars!? I strongly considered getting a V6 5-speed model instead of my Focus. It was a sharp-looking, good-driving little coupe.

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on March 10, 2012, 02:07:39 PM
Since when are Cougars bad cars!? I strongly considered getting a V6 5-speed model instead of my Focus. It was a sharp-looking, good-driving little coupe.

True. They weren't bad cars at all. But they were chick cars...

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on March 10, 2012, 02:08:26 PM
True. They weren't bad cars at all. But they were chick cars...

Since when were they chick cars!?

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on March 10, 2012, 02:09:25 PM

Since the guys in my high school collectively decided they were one day, I guess.  :lol:

Personally, I always liked them, and even thought of picking one up back in ye olde Saab era when the 900 shit the bed one of its many times. But I was haunted by thoughts from back in high school lol.

giant_mtb

Probably since they were predominantly driven by women that think both they and the car are supremely attractive. :huh: :lol:

They're definitely chick cars in my area.  I've seen a few dudes driving them...but you just can't look cool or badass or whatever driving a Cougar, even if it does have a fart can.

Gotta-Qik-C7

That all I've ever seen driving them. I don't recall ever seeing a man driving one....
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

cawimmer430

When will somebody grow some balls and build a 1973 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham on the platform of a Corolla? When?  :praise:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ChrisV

Iv'e seen plenty of guys driving them, at least the V6 Sport versions, usually with crap bodykits, however. They were essentially a 2 door version of my SVT Contour, and actually quite capable cars with a few minor tweaks (like the same 3 liter bottom end swap that the SVT Contour guys did).

I like the Cougar. But it's a waste of time and effort to use it as a base for a Veyron replica. Would be much better as a mild custom with a modded engine:

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...