How good of a driver do you honestly feel you are

Started by sportyaccordy, March 11, 2012, 06:10:26 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26963.msg1688833#msg1688833 date=1332355510
It's nature.  Genetic makeup.  Take my buddy.  He doesn't have that gene, where he has to push himself like that.  He's not aggressive.  He's not competitive.  That's just not who he is.  This is who I am.  It's part of me, just like any other part of my personality is part of me.  
Again, there's a diff in being competitive & being reckless. The difference in the context of this discussion is literally taking that aggression to the track vs trying to rationalize taking it to public streets. Just cause something is a part of your nature doesn't mean the way you deal with it is right.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 21, 2012, 02:02:54 PM
Again, there's a diff in being competitive & being reckless. The difference in the context of this discussion is literally taking that aggression to the track vs trying to rationalize taking it to public streets. Just cause something is a part of your nature doesn't mean the way you deal with it is right.

Yeah, but taking it to a track isn't going to "get it out of my system" or anything like that.  It won't change who I am.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on March 21, 2012, 02:31:47 PM
Yeah, but taking it to a track isn't going to "get it out of my system" or anything like that.  It won't change who I am.
Competing with other drivers on a track won't... OK.

hounddog

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 21, 2012, 02:02:54 PM

I will be the first to admit that spirited driving does not always equal reckless.

In fact, I would go so far as to say street racing in certain circumstances can be done in relative safety to the general public. That is not to say it can, or should, be done at anytime in any place.

In spirit I agree that speeding, racing and so on are all dangerous to a degree.  I would be hesitant to automatically label any of them as "reckless" as that word requires a certain level of intent.  5pm on the main throughway is reckless, 2am on a road known to have virtually no traffic (such as an empty country freeway setting) is not reckless.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on March 21, 2012, 12:45:28 PM
Sorry, you'll never ever convince me you've ever done such a thing. First, you being a reasonable person, full well know that doing such a thing is asking for an arse kicking (which you are ill prepared to deal with). Second, you full well know throwing stuff at cars is a crime and what with the proliferation of cell phones you'd be asking for due LEO attention.

+1

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 21, 2012, 03:04:46 PM
Competing with other drivers on a track won't... OK.

If anything, it could have the opposite effect.  It's very likely that it could make me more aggressive and competitive, even off the track.  I'm not saying that I won't do driver instruction and track time, I'm just saying it's not some catharsis like you tout it to be. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

850CSi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 11, 2012, 07:52:33 PM
I am talking about pushing a car to its limits, not necessarily staying out of accidents. Its not hard to stay out of accidents on the street. Plus sometimes accidents happen that aren't your fault.

If this is the measurement, I'm probably no more than a 3 or 4. I just haven't done it all that much. But I can honestly say few people probably know their transmission as well as I know mine.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 850CSi on March 21, 2012, 07:37:06 PM
If this is the measurement, I'm probably no more than a 3 or 4. I just haven't done it all that much. But I can honestly say few people probably know their transmission as well as I know mine.

I don't know about that. :lol: Until you examine the forks, synchros, and gears, you don't really know a transmission.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on March 21, 2012, 04:41:07 PM
If anything, it could have the opposite effect.  It's very likely that it could make me more aggressive and competitive, even off the track.  I'm not saying that I won't do driver instruction and track time, I'm just saying it's not some catharsis like you tout it to be. 
Damn near everyone I know who does regular track time says they have slowed down on the road + think pushing limits on the road is dumb. Here is a good (motorcycle) commercial depicting why

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnx20F51S_E

No matter how hard you push on the street, you will always hold back, because you know there is always the possibility of something going awry. On the track the only real limitation is you. The environment is only there to push you. There's no argument for pushing it on the street.

Plus you won't really know how you will respond to it until you try it. So arguing that it might make you more aggressive is bogus. In my experience it has the opposite effect.

Quote from: hounddog on March 21, 2012, 03:26:56 PM

I will be the first to admit that spirited driving does not always equal reckless.

In fact, I would go so far as to say street racing in certain circumstances can be done in relative safety to the general public. That is not to say it can, or should, be done at anytime in any place.

In spirit I agree that speeding, racing and so on are all dangerous to a degree.  I would be hesitant to automatically label any of them as "reckless" as that word requires a certain level of intent.  5pm on the main throughway is reckless, 2am on a road known to have virtually no traffic (such as an empty country freeway setting) is not reckless.
I used to go to street races. They were done on isolated blocks far from the public and actually were pretty safe. The only thing that was bad was people would be lined up way down the strip :facepalm: But it was all Civics and Integras so its not like anything was fishtailing off the line :lol:

But I think pushing a car to its limits on public streets is reckless. Not so much a stoplight jaunt as much as testing the limits of lateral grip & braking thresholds. Everything is great until something goes wrong.

I have done a lot of dumb shit and am lucky that I never crashed when I pushed it. I could claim its cause I'm so skilled and all that. But it really comes down to luck.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on March 21, 2012, 04:41:07 PM
That may be true.  I always felt a bit pumped after even a go kart race.  It was even worse after just watching the local Saturday night stock car races.  I remember getting my Silver Hawk airborne on more than one occasion on the way home; at a particular spot on the road.  Of course, I was still a teenager at the time.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Champ

Quote from: Raza  on March 20, 2012, 05:21:45 PM
But aggression is not recklessness.  I fully believe in defensive driving.  However, I also believe that offense is the best defense.
We probably drive a lot alike.

When on the motorcycle - I am on the "aggressive" side because I feel it's easier for me to make the decisions - rather than react to what others are doing.

S204STi

Quote from: MiataJohn on March 21, 2012, 09:50:33 AM
Come tailgate me.  If I have the top down I'll share some small nuts and washers I carry in my center console for people who feel a need to ride my bumper.  If the top is up I'll share my windscreen washer fluid with you, especially if it looks like your ride is freshly washed and waxed.    ;)

lol, that sort of hostility is always fun to observe, because usually I can just downshift and blow doors on someone as soon as an opening comes up.  It's no sweat off my balls if you're bothered by my driving.  I'll find a way to overcome the tards who insist on camping the passing lane.

Byteme

Quote from: S204STi on March 22, 2012, 11:23:26 PM
lol, that sort of hostility is always fun to observe, because usually I can just downshift and blow doors on someone as soon as an opening comes up.  It's no sweat off my balls if you're bothered by my driving.  I'll find a way to overcome the tards who insist on camping the passing lane.

Yeah, me too, I'll keep a reasonable distance, wait for an opportunity and go around.   ;)

I never am in the passing lane unless I'm passing.  Around here you get tailgated in all lanes, even when it's obvious you can't go any faster because of the cars ahead of you.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 22, 2012, 06:24:03 AM
Damn near everyone I know who does regular track time says they have slowed down on the road + think pushing limits on the road is dumb. Here is a good (motorcycle) commercial depicting why

Plus you won't really know how you will respond to it until you try it. So arguing that it might make you more aggressive is bogus. In my experience it has the opposite effect.

Personally, I don't understand that mentality.  "I drive fast sometimes, so other times I don't feel the need to"?  It doesn't makes sense to me.  It's like banging a chick for the first time.  It's not out of your system, after that, you just want to do it more. 

"Aggressive" is part of my personality.  I could no more change it than I could start batting left handed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on March 23, 2012, 09:38:34 AM
Personally, I don't understand that mentality.  "I drive fast sometimes, so other times I don't feel the need to"?  It doesn't makes sense to me.  It's like banging a chick for the first time.  It's not out of your system, after that, you just want to do it more. 

"Aggressive" is part of my personality.  I could no more change it than I could start batting left handed.
Imo, it's, sort of, like taking martial arts in order to quell the tendancy to have-to-prove-yourself.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Onslaught

I understand where Raza is coming from. I was like him from 16 to 36 years old. And I still drive aggressive from time to time. But after you've had something bad happen to you it changes the way you do things. I started taking it more easy on the road not just for myself but because I don't want to hurt someone else.

But then again my "taking it easy" on the road is probably still driving aggressive to most people.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on March 23, 2012, 10:18:29 AM
I understand where Raza is coming from. I was like him from 16 to 36 years old. And I still drive aggressive from time to time. But after you've had something bad happen to you it changes the way you do things. I started taking it more easy on the road not just for myself but because I don't want to hurt someone else.

But then again my "taking it easy" on the road is probably still driving aggressive to most people.
I can relate to it perfectly.  I was an idiot on the road until I was well into my thirties.  A bunch of narrow escapes and a fairly serious collision made me think more responsibly.

Onslaught

Hurting me is one thing. Hurting someone else is different. I only dick around on the road when I know 100% for sure that there isn't another car or person around.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Onslaught on March 23, 2012, 10:26:05 AM
Hurting me is one thing. Hurting someone else is different. I only dick around on the road when I know 100% for sure that there isn't another car or person around.
True.  Too many times the person responsible for an accident walks away leaving a dead family in the other vehicle.

Raza

I can see mellowing out with age.  My one friend says that his driving style became much more cautious once got married because he had a really good reason to get home from wherever he was.  As I essentially have nothing to live for, I don't have that holding me back. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FoMoJo

Quote from: Raza  on March 23, 2012, 10:49:57 AM
I can see mellowing out with age.  My one friend says that his driving style became much more cautious once got married because he had a really good reason to get home from wherever he was.  As I essentially have nothing to live for, I don't have that holding me back. 
Good sense comes to all of us sooner or later; if we live long enough :lol:.  In the meantime, just watch out for the other hotshoes and assorted daredevils on the road.

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26963.msg1690166#msg1690166 date=1332521397
I can see mellowing out with age.  My one friend says that his driving style became much more cautious once got married because he had a really good reason to get home from wherever he was.  As I essentially have nothing to live for, I don't have that holding me back.  

In the meantime just be careful you don't invite this fellow along for the ride.  

Eye of the Tiger

There's a guy that looks like he knows how to party. He can ride with me anytime.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: MiataJohn on March 23, 2012, 11:14:51 AM
In the meantime just be careful you don't invite this fellow along for the ride.  

Do you have any idea how often I'm out, doing something, and run into an issue where I'm like "Man, I wish I knew a guy with a scythe right now"?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26963.msg1690244#msg1690244 date=1332523385
Do you have any idea how often I'm out, doing something, and run into an issue where I'm like "Man, I wish I knew a guy with a scythe right now"?

No.

FoMoJo

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on March 23, 2012, 10:22:59 AM
I can relate to it perfectly.  I was an idiot on the road until I was well into my thirties.  A bunch of narrow escapes and a fairly serious collision made me think more responsibly.

I think I'm driving more slowly.  I hate to see it happen.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on March 24, 2012, 12:37:21 PM
I think I'm driving more slowly.  I hate to see it happen.

You make 6 figures, but won't even get a $20,000 2003 Porsche Boxster S. I don't think we care any more. Your last ticket was yearS ago. You have no credibility anymore.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on March 24, 2012, 12:37:21 PM
I think I'm driving more slowly.  I hate to see it happen.

You are officially a poser until you put your money where your mouth is. I've had enough.

I bet you have so much fun driving that new deck of yours...  oh wait...  :nutty: