"Oh what a feeling!" (2o6's Yaris)

Started by 2o6, March 13, 2012, 07:27:33 PM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on June 26, 2012, 02:53:24 PM
French cars are the best.  Renaultsport.   :wub:

For your viewing pleasure.  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

cawimmer430

More Biturbo love. :praise:

His First Maserati
A Biturbo in need of TLC!

This is a tale related to me by a Maserati owner who wishes to remain anonymous but whom I will refer to as George.

Ever since he was a teenager, George had always wanted to own an Italian sports car, but alas could never afford one. Then in January 1992 he saw a 1986 LHD Maserati Biturbo Coupe advertised at a very low price and his curiosity took him to London to see the car. George knew a 2 door coupe could never be described as a true sports car but he was now well past middle age and his priorities had changed somewhat. On seeing the car George was immediately struck by its looks. Here, he said, was a car with real racing pedigree but which looked very "run of the mill" in spite of it's metallic azzuro paint work, his favourite colour. Even the interior "Missione Azzuro" looked more at home in a gypsy caravan - with apologies to our Romany friends.

George still doesn't know why he bought the car, but it was cheap or so he first thought. The car had only 57,000Km on the clock and the interior was clean. However after it's first four years of life there were no further service records. He noticed a small void in the dashboard. The owner told George that it was for a clock but that the small clock had been stolen! Not a problem George thought. Biturbo owners will of course have guessed by now that George didn't really know Maseratis and hadn't done his homework. Big mistake!

George and the owner then took it for a test drive, during which time he discovered the reason for its somewhat attractive price. The engine sounded rough, very rough indeed and the gearbox didn't sound much better. The embarrassed owner told him he had not owned the car long and that it had not been regularly serviced, save for the MOT, because, "SURPRISE SURPRISE" there was no official Maserati agent near him. It was obvious that the owner had little knowledge of car mechanics and that being the case, wanted to "Get shot of It". The conversation which then followed included a lengthy description of the owner's divorce settlement, revealing that the car was just another poor victim of this saga. He could no longer afford the ex-wife, the mistress and most of all Maserati prices. This car was getting cheaper by the minute, or so George thought. At one point George was half expecting the owner to give him the keys and tell him to take it away, but he didn't.

His own financial situation and lack of mechanical knowledge had George wondering if it was really a very bright idea to buy the car, but there was something about this car that he really liked. After much haggling, in which the sight of crisp ?20 notes had done no harm at all, a suitable price was negotiated and off George went. He now owned his first Maserati. A childhood dream had been fulfilled or had a "nightmare" just begun? To this day George often wonders exactly who had been the happier that day as he drove off.

George had mixed feelings as he started the journey home. He had serious doubts about actually making it back. Then the most amusing thing, at least he thinks so now, happened. He was looking for a better driving position, and this wasn't easy in an Italian car when you are over 6ft tall, so he adjusted the driver's seat for a more comfortable position. Easy up, down, forwards, backwards it's all electric he thought. But wait a minute this is an Italian car not famous for it's reliability in the electrical department. WELL NEITHER WAS THIS MASERATI. As George adjusted the back of the seat, it just kept moving forwards until his nose was almost touching the windscreen. No matter how hard he tried to reverse this process the seat just wouldn't budge. George pulled over to the side of the road and investigated further. By now a burning smell was coming from the seat adjustment switch, so he managed to pull it out and disconnect the wires. Oh dear, what had he done by buying this car but he kept reassuring himself it was cheap. He then had the bright idea of changing the driver's seat with the passenger seat. He tried to remove the driver's seat but unfortunately as the fuse had blown, the all electric seat wouldn't budge preventing access to the retaining bolts at the rear of the seat. He then decided that his best option was to remove the retaining bolts at the front of the seat, allowing him to at least tilt the seat backwards a little. Having done his best to improve the situation, he continued his journey home. George wonders to this day what other drivers, in more sensible modes of transport, must have thought of his choice in cars, especially a Maserati with such a strange driving position. One can only imagine the look of disbelief in their eyes as George drove along with his chest up against the steering wheel, occasionally reaching behind to change gear and generally having a most uncomfortable time. After quite a struggle George and the car finally made it home, but George recalled that at the time, his back was no longer a 'Maserati enthusiast'.

George had always wanted to learn a thing or two about car mechanics and he was about to learn the hard way. After a lengthy search - did I mention the car didn't come with a handbook? - he located the fuse-box and the fuse was duly changed. The next day a visit to his nearest, about a hundred and fifty miles, Maserati dealer provided him with a new switch, at exorbitant cost, and his seating problem was solved. The rough sounding engine however proved a little more difficult to solve. George's friend Paul, a car mechanic who had worked on many exotic cars, couldn't wait to see this Maserati. He decided that the car was running a far too hot for his liking and recommended removing the cylinder heads, this he said would serve two purposes, one changing the cylinder head gaskets (he suspected a possible leak) would help with the cooling and two it would give them a chance to look at the condition of the engine . A service / repair manual and all necessary parts were purchased and the transformation began.

I should mention at this point that famous hole in the dash, you know the one for the clock. George had allowed himself a generous ?50 for the clock. It came as somewhat of a shock when he was quoted ?500 for the Lassale timepiece. Needless to say he drove around with that hole in the dash for some time.

The mechanical work progressed well save for the awkward exhaust bolts and once the heads were off, the engine was found to be in excellent condition. The head gaskets were duly changed but as they were replacing the spider like intake manifold they discovered a crack, a rather large one. The leaking manifold began to explain the rough sounding engine. The manifold was repaired and George remembers their relief when they had no parts left over after putting the engine back together. All plugs, oils, coolant and filters were changed and after a good engine clean, it was time to fire up. Why! Oh Why! do these cars take so long to start?

Once the car started off they went for the test drive, Paul drove as George thought he'd rather earned the honour. What a transformation! As Paul put his foot down George could see the twinkle in his eyes. Paul turned and looked at George and they realised what a bargain, save for the clock, George had bought. The car was a dream, very fast and its road holding amazing and the driving position was a lot better too. This was indeed a true Italian sports car and he enjoyed owning the Maserati. George said apart from routine maintenance, he had had no further serious problems with the car. He found another good home for the car seven years later.

Whatever happened to the clock? Well it would appear that some owners remove them and convert them into table clocks for the home. Another case of vandalism!

Link: http://www.maseratighibli.co.uk/home29.htm

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Soup DeVille

Is it a prevailing european attitude that even older, out of warranty cars must always be serviced at the official agency for that car? I always get the feeling that independant service centers and backyard mechanics are quite a bit rarer than they are here.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Since this thread keeps getting bumped, here's a recent picture.

(darn that missing paint!)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 29, 2012, 04:11:46 PM
Is it a prevailing european attitude that even older, out of warranty cars must always be serviced at the official agency for that car? I always get the feeling that independant service centers and backyard mechanics are quite a bit rarer than they are here.

Official agency = original parts / know-how (generally), although there are many independent mechanics that can fix up special cars.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on June 29, 2012, 10:43:33 PM
Since this thread keeps getting bumped, here's a recent picture.

Nice. What's under the hood?  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Fast Fact:

Yaris fourm'ers are discovering that suspension members from the new 2012 Yaris fit the old 2007-2011 model generation (and vice versa).....with no modification.

Yeah, Toyota really didn't do much to this car at all.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Yaris is a theory, not a fact. Teach the debate. Make up your own mind.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Secret Chimp

Quote from: 2o6 on July 02, 2012, 11:33:21 AM
Fast Fact:

Yaris fourm'ers are discovering that suspension members from the new 2012 Yaris fit the old 2007-2011 model generation (and vice versa).....with no modification.

Yeah, Toyota really didn't do much to this car at all.

Why would they? It's a cheap go-mobile that turns and stops, who cares about camber angles or whatever the fuck as long as it doesn't jack up and roll over into ditches.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

Quote from: Secret Chimp on July 02, 2012, 12:55:54 PM
Why would they? It's a cheap go-mobile that turns and stops, who cares about camber angles or whatever the fuck as long as it doesn't jack up and roll over into ditches.

Everyone else is all new for this generation. The Yaris is really the same as it was in 2007; same 4AT and 5MT from the old car. (and the old Echo)

2o6

I looked at the accessory belts today (after hearing a squeal and then the battery charge light coming on then going right out).

Egad! (I need to get this done)

2o6

I'm finding out that the AC compressor will kick on and the belt will tend to slip a little.

Eye of the Tiger

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on July 04, 2012, 02:08:55 PM
I'm finding out that the AC compressor will kick on and the belt will tend to slip a little.

I thought Toyota's were supposed to be reliable? Man, your car sure has a lot of hiccups! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 05, 2012, 09:08:16 AM
I thought Toyota's were supposed to be reliable? Man, your car sure has a lot of hiccups! :lol:

Accessory/Serpentine belts wear out on any car. My car is nearing 80K, stuff like this will need to be done. I looked at the belt today, it's really frayed.

I know for a fact my brake pads are going to need to be done within the next 10K miles.

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 05, 2012, 12:08:41 PM
Is that a fast fact?

No. But this is:

Fast Fact: Basic level Toyota Vios don't come with airbags.

2o6

8K check in:

- Airbag light is still on (clockspring)

- Cooling fan works fine

- it seems like I got all problems with early MY cars, clockspring and alternator are trouble spots for this car

- new alternator/accessory belt (belt looked really bad anyways)

- still at 40MPG

- the transmission is still the worst I have ever used; I thought something was broken, but the fluid change back in march (plus me driving a BRAND NEW Scion xD off the lot and having the same sensation) has convinced me that Toyota puts terrible-feeling MT shifts in their passenger cars. Dealer said there was nothing arwy with my tranny flush; no metal shavings. There are pages upon pages of people with Yarises, Corollas, Matrixes and the rare MT Camry complaining of "grinding" only to find out from Toyota proper that the transmission just "feels that way". With the new fluid, the car shifts 'normally'.

Otherwise, I have no complaints with this car. It ate some of my money within the first few weeks of ownership, but considering that I have driven the piss out of it, and it's superb on gas, I can't really complain. Wish the gearbox was better.

CALL_911

Even though it seems like the car has been a minor PITA, I'm glad you like it. They really aren't such bad cars. The one thing I absolutely fucking hate about it is the center-mounted gauge cluster.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 26, 2012, 04:58:15 PM
Even though it seems like the car has been a minor PITA, I'm glad you like it. They really aren't such bad cars. The one thing I absolutely fucking hate about it is the center-mounted gauge cluster.

It has taken me awhile to get used to that, especially at night. At night, there is an odd darkness directly in front of the driver (instead of the glow from the gauges).

Also, I still am not totally used to the clutch/accelerator relationship. Throttle is electronic; the ECU tends to hold onto revvs wayy too high for my tastes. It also does some annoying things when trying to get started from a stop.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on July 04, 2012, 02:08:55 PM

This is nothing to worry about- until it starts tearing up your belt.

but, you can still replac a whole boxful of belts for the price of one AC compressor.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 26, 2012, 05:12:59 PM
This is nothing to worry about- until it starts tearing up your belt.

but, you can still replac a whole boxful of belts for the price of one AC compressor.

I fixed that.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 26, 2012, 04:58:15 PM

I tried getting used to that on a Mini. I really wanted to accept that the gauges were in the wrong place because the rest of the car was so fun.

alas, I am too narrow minded.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 26, 2012, 05:25:16 PM
I tried getting used to that on a Mini. I really wanted to accept that the gauges were in the wrong place because the rest of the car was so fun.

alas, I am too narrow minded.

The Mini's dashboard is totally un-ergonomic, though. The Yaris's gauge cluster is high up and angled towards the driver.

Cookie Monster

Damn, 8k miles in 4 months? I'm lucky if my car sees that much in a year!
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on July 26, 2012, 06:13:29 PM
Damn, 8k miles in 4 months? I'm lucky if my car sees that much in a year!

I'm a delivery driver, and most of my friends live 10 miles away at least. I drive around 200 miles a week, give or take.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on July 26, 2012, 05:26:31 PM
The Yaris's gauge cluster is high up and angled towards the driver.

One less reason to get a BMW. The Yaris is clearly a drivers car and so much more reliable!  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de