"Oh what a feeling!" (2o6's Yaris)

Started by 2o6, March 13, 2012, 07:27:33 PM

Cookie Monster

Yank off steering wheel + airbag, replace with Momo wheel?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

IDK for sure.

I suppose if I were to get another car it would be now or never.

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on June 09, 2012, 09:47:43 PM
Yank off steering wheel + airbag, replace with Momo wheel?

Yank off fan, replace with Momo wheel?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 09, 2012, 09:49:17 PM
Yank off fan, replace with Momo wheel?
:nono:

He needs one of these:

They oscillate, too!
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

I don't want to "pin this" on someone, but it seems awfully fishy for my airbag light to illuminate the same day I got diagnostic tests done on the car to check the fan motor.

Part of me hopes I just total out the car.

Secret Chimp

Why are you sitting around wondering? Check the fuses. It takes like a minute unless they've hidden the fusebox in some place where you have to get in the car upside-down to see it.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

It's 1am. I'll check it in the morning.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on June 09, 2012, 09:43:54 PM
As a theory from the chat thread, possible blown fuse or wrong fuse pulled? Mechanics have been doing diagnostic tests on my car all day, checking fuses and relays. Wondering if something is up as regards to that.

If they've been pulling fuses and replacing them: here's what I would do.

Wait. The light might go off.

If the fuse was pulled while the car was started, the computer may have detected this as an airbag fault, which will now clear out after a few "drive cycles" ( a nebulous term that means different things to different cars.)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Did you buy this off a used-only car lot? They're notorious for flipping junk.

Gotta-Qik-C7

When I purchased My 1994 Corolla (180k) it didn't have this many issues.............
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Northlands

Just have the Yaris unfortunately stall on some rail road tracks.  :mask:

That damn fuel line clogged up again!

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 10, 2012, 12:17:15 AM
If they've been pulling fuses and replacing them: here's what I would do.

Wait. The light might go off.

If the fuse was pulled while the car was started, the computer may have detected this as an airbag fault, which will now clear out after a few "drive cycles" ( a nebulous term that mean
s different things to different cars.)

Airbag light went off then came back on again. Now it's back out.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on June 10, 2012, 12:52:39 AM
Did you buy this off a used-only car lot? They're notorious for flipping junk.

Who else is going to sell a cheap used car? New-car dealers typically quickly get rid of anything that's not fairly new or otherwise expensive, so that leaves used car dealers and private parties. A lot of those cars are problematic because, quite simply, a lot of cheap cars are cheap for a reason.

2o6

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on June 10, 2012, 11:24:22 AM
Who else is going to sell a cheap used car? New-car dealers typically quickly get rid of anything that's not fairly new or otherwise expensive, so that leaves used car dealers and private parties. A lot of those cars are problematic because, quite simply, a lot of cheap cars are cheap for a reason.

Just because they sell 'em doesn't mean you need to buy 'em.

Lots of new car dealers will have sub 100k mile compacts on their lots.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on June 10, 2012, 11:59:28 AM
Just because they sell 'em doesn't mean you need to buy 'em.

Lots of new car dealers will have sub 100k mile compacts on their lots.

I'm not sure how to take this statement....part of me understands where you're coming from, part of me wants to discredit your information; you're all pissy because your car is from Hertz and has some issues associated with a rental car.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2012, 11:37:36 AM
Wasn't your Focus cheap?

My 2001 was dirt cheap but came with a one-year warranty; I wouldn't have gotten it without that, and sold it not long after that coverage expired.

My 2007 was a great price for the car's age -- $7,000, and they agreed to repair excess engine vibration and a loose rear seat for free -- but I can't say I would have been shocked if the car had acted up. I just the other day found some paperwork that had fallen behind the glovebox documenting $450 in ABS repairs from not long before it was traded in. Hell, even plenty of new cars have problems.

I didn't say that to mean that people shouldn't buy cheap cars, just that there's a risk associated with them that's not the fault of a dealer.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2012, 12:03:28 PM

I'm not sure how to take this statement....part of me understands where you're coming from, part of me wants to discredit your information; you're all pissy because your car is from Hertz and has some issues associated with a rental car.

Ha, ha! Misery loves looking for company!

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2012, 12:03:28 PM

And you're mad because yours keeps breaking. 

2o6

Taking the car to get the codes checked tommorrow. Started the car, light on. Get down the street light goes off. Go a little farther, light back on. Likely when I start it again, light off.

Whatever the problem is, its intermittent.

GoCougs

Quote from: ifcar on June 10, 2012, 12:19:01 PM
My 2001 was dirt cheap but came with a one-year warranty; I wouldn't have gotten it without that, and sold it not long after that coverage expired.

My 2007 was a great price for the car's age -- $7,000, and they agreed to repair excess engine vibration and a loose rear seat for free -- but I can't say I would have been shocked if the car had acted up. I just the other day found some paperwork that had fallen behind the glovebox documenting $450 in ABS repairs from not long before it was traded in. Hell, even plenty of new cars have problems.

I didn't say that to mean that people shouldn't buy cheap cars, just that there's a risk associated with them that's not the fault of a dealer.

For some/many used-only dealers, they know exactly when their cars are junk - buying from body shops (i.e., quick turn flips) or the Russian mob or known lemons/problems. Most are fly-by-night shyster operations.

ifcar

Quote from: GoCougs on June 10, 2012, 12:57:48 PM
For some/many used-only dealers, they know exactly when their cars are junk - buying from body shops (i.e., quick turn flips) or the Russian mob or known lemons/problems. Most are fly-by-night shyster operations.

That's a pretty sweeping generalization. It sounds like you're talking more about a "dealer" that's a trailer with five cars parked out front. (Which, admittedly, is where Focus #1 came from, though the warranty was third-party.)

Rich

The Mustang had the airbag light come on.  Was a connection under the seat that needed to be repaired... just a newconnector... i'll dig up the invoice later today.

Light was on when I picked the car up, but it went off and has been off since then.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

Airbag light off again, i wonder if something was knocked loose or put back wrong when the mechanics looked at it.

2o6

If this is a dealer related issue, Toyota corporate will defenitely be hearing about this. The level of service I have received from both their Akron dealers is now comedic.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2012, 12:55:15 PM
Taking the car to get the codes checked tommorrow. Started the car, light on. Get down the street light goes off. Go a little farther, light back on. Likely when I start it again, light off.

Whatever the problem is, its intermittent.

I'm thinking more and more its the clockspring.

My solution? Don't get into an accident when the light is on.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on June 10, 2012, 04:04:25 PM
If this is a dealer related issue, Toyota corporate will defenitely be hearing about this. The level of service I have received from both their Akron dealers is now comedic.

You're not going to get good dealer service on a used car, and especially not on a used Yaris. And, Toyota has always been a little flippant with their customer service anyways.

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 10, 2012, 04:06:49 PM
I'm thinking more and more its the clockspring.

My solution? Don't get into an accident when the light is on.
This is excellent advice. I think you should be a stock advisor too.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on June 10, 2012, 04:10:43 PM
This is excellent advice. I think you should be a stock advisor too.

Don't buy crappy stocks.

There. Now I am.

OK, so my attitude towards airbags is a little cavalier. I've only ever owned five vehicles with them anyways. I drove hopped up classic VW beetles for many years.

After tooling around for a while in a 140 HP VW Beetle with non-power assisted anything, pretty much everything else on four wheels seems safe by comparison.

2o6

I will take it to toyota, could be clock spring, could be a seat or seatbelt sensor. Who freaking knows.