My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

Cookie Monster

Wow, they should've at least disclosed it was a rental before you bought it. Seems like a shady move to me.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Rental, eh. Many people have certainly beat the absolute living shit out of that car. At least it's broken in. :lol:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: thecarnut on March 18, 2012, 03:02:08 PM
Wow, they should've at least disclosed it was a rental before you bought it. Seems like a shady move to me.

Yeah, not happy. The sales manager said the fact they buy the cars at the Infiniti auction is enough to know the car is in tip-top shape with all maintenance records - they don't check where the car actually came from. If this is true I don't have a problem with it, however, I'm not sure how it passed such a rigorous inspection with the blue stains all over the trunk. But actually, with the trunk being black and the stains dark blue it's hard to see in anything other than direct sunlight.  Meh, either way, what's done is done and there are no signs of abuse (also, I mostly think that it's a myth that rental cars are abused).

Cookie Monster

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2012, 03:07:44 PM
Yeah, not happy. The sales manager said the fact they buy the cars at the Infiniti auction is enough to know the car is in tip-top shape with all maintenance records - they don't check where the car actually came from. If this is true I don't have a problem with it, however, I'm not sure how it passed such a rigorous inspection with the blue stains all over the trunk. Either way, what's done is done and there are no signs of abuse (also, I mostly think that it's a myth that rental cars are abused).
Maybe not all rentals are abused, as most people who rent cars aren't bone-headed lead foot people, but a quick search for rental car shenanigans on Youtube brings up some scary shit. :mask:

Then again, a G is a higher end rental car, so the people who rent those cars probably aren't the same as people who decide that off-roading in a rental Neon is a good idea.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2012, 03:12:54 PM
Yeah, not happy. The sales manager said the fact they buy the cars at the Infiniti auction is enough to know the car is in tip-top shape with all maintenance records - they don't check where the car actually came from. If this is true I don't have a problem with it, however, I'm not sure how it passed such a rigorous inspection with the blue stains all over the trunk. But actually, with the trunk being black and the stains dark blue it's hard to see in anything other than direct sunlight.  Meh, either way, what's done is done and there are no signs of abuse (also, I mostly think that it's a myth that rental cars are abused).

It's a beautiful car, man.  And since it was a high end rental, it was probably rented to business executives or people like that, rather than bitchhogs out to abuse it.  If it's driving well, and you can get the other superficial issues taken care of, I say just enjoy it.  It is a used car, as you say, and the lower price of a used car comes with some conditions.  I think you made a great choice and it's a really nice car.  Try to get some lit instrumental panel pictures, if you can.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

GoCougs

It's nice to think that those who'd rent such a car would be less likely to be wanker - let's hope!

A shot of the IP:

AutobahnSHO

Sorry but it's still a nice car.  As far as the floormats, I swear by these
with something similar for the front.

A set came with the Subie, they do a wonderful job of trapping the dirt,sand, drinks, whatever in an easy to shake out location.
http://www.carcoverworld.com/floormats.asp

They're pretty pricey though- I looked at getting a set for our van at Autozone it would be like $100 or more..
Will

GoCougs

I like this shot of the ski racks. Note my neighbor's custom Silverado. Dude paid like $50k for that thing new off the lot. His father died a couple of years ago and he inherited a pile of money, including that house. And he should really know better, he's like 65...

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 18, 2012, 03:33:11 PM

A set came with the Subie, they do a wonderful job of trapping the dirt,sand, drinks, whatever in an easy to shake out location.

They're pretty pricey though- I looked at getting a set for our van at Autozone it would be like $100 or more..

Thanks. Yeah, doing a bit of searching and car mats are expensive. I'm going to try to con the dealer into giving me a new set for free.

dazzleman

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2012, 03:26:30 PM
It's nice to think that those who'd rent such a car would be less likely to be wanker - let's hope!

A shot of the IP:

Thanks man.  Looks very nice.  :rockon:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2012, 03:12:54 PM

I don't think rentals are treated very nicely, but my experience is that the rental company will fix major problems (and then charge the customer).
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on March 18, 2012, 03:33:11 PM

Explorer has those. They rule.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: GoCougs on March 18, 2012, 03:37:35 PM
Thanks. Yeah, doing a bit of searching and car mats are expensive. I'm going to try to con the dealer into giving me a new set for free.
Considering that the rear set is actually missing, I don't think you'd be conning them.

And you can always hold the fact that they didn't tell you about the whole rental thing over their head to replace the dirty front ones, too. :lol:
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

I've got a set of outback rubber mats like that.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

dazzleman

WTF guys, floormats are about the most boring aspect of car ownership that you can discuss.  Let's hear more about the car's performance.

Joe, what speed have you taken it up to?  Have you redlined it, or pushed its limits at all yet?

TurboDan

I've never abused a rental car. Actually, I tend to treat them a little easier because I don't feel like getting charged for something extra later on. But really, when I rent a car it's for basic 'point A to point B' transportation and I don't really think about the car, its limits or how fast it can go. It's an appliance.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TurboDan

Quote from: ifcar on March 18, 2012, 05:29:37 PM
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/rental-car-olympics-comparison-test

They weren't billed for any damage, either.

The stated purpose of the article was to push the rental agreement to its limits. Most people rent a car because they need to drive from their hotel to the beach, or from a business conference to the airport.

ifcar

Quote from: TurboDan on March 18, 2012, 05:32:53 PM
The stated purpose of the article was to push the rental agreement to its limits. Most people rent a car because they need to drive from their hotel to the beach, or from a business conference to the airport.

Yeah, no, they did not operate within the rental agreement.

AutobahnSHO

What good is busting the law if the floor gets dirty????   :lol:

Seriously when I was in Georgia we were vacuuming a cup full of sand out of the van every week. Just from getting in and out, not even going to the beach or anywheres offroad. It's just sandy EVERYWHERE there. we lived hours from the ocean...

Those big ridged rubber mats did a great job of collecting it all and I just had to shake them out every once in a while.
Will

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on March 18, 2012, 05:32:53 PM

Honey, you're the only one that does this. Most people I know drive the living piss out of rental cars.

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on March 18, 2012, 07:44:06 PM
Honey, you're the only one that does this. Most people I know drive the living piss out of rental cars.

Can't say I've ever beat the hell out of a rental car, nor have I really felt compelled to.  That said, I've seen a rental show up and compete at an autocross before.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

TurboDan

MOST people? Come on...

I've gone on plenty of trips with friends, co-workers and relatives and have never seen any of them do anything like that. I am going to Tampa for a week next month, though. I'll make sure to absolutely destroy the Hyundai Elantra (or similar) I reserved on my five minute trip between my hotel and whatever restaurant I decide to eat at every night.  :huh:

TurboDan

By the way... really nice interior on the G37x! I think if I had gone car instead of SUV it would've been a tough choice between this or a 3er.

dazzleman

Honey? :confused:

Rupert

GoCougs

Quote from: dazzleman on March 18, 2012, 04:41:18 PM
WTF guys, floormats are about the most boring aspect of car ownership that you can discuss.  Let's hear more about the car's performance.

Joe, what speed have you taken it up to?  Have you redlined it, or pushed its limits at all yet?

Yup, seen max RPM plenty of times, though I have some work to do. Left in drive it hits only ~7,200 rpm yet red line is 7,600 rpm. Like all slushie ATs it is difficult to time manual shifting to shift at red line - so though I've seen max RPM many of times thus far, I've also bounced off the rev limiter plenty of times too.

I've hit only ~90 mph. It's been raining constantly since I've bought it so that's plenty fast for now.

GoCougs

Again, I also echo most of the sentiments about rental cars. I've had many, many rentals and ridden in many, many rentals and have never seen abuse. People who rent cars take care of them because most renters know what enormous PITA of having to deal with damage or additional charges would be.

GoCougs

Set the (front) floor mat issue to resolved.

I threw them in the washer for a couple of cycles, which got the black cloth portion clean. The G37 logos however were still dingy so I just colored 'em in with a black Sharpie. Now just need to get the rears from the dealer...