My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

AutobahnSHO

OTOH-

Where do you keep your bikes?  Tools?
Christmas and other seasonal crap?  (mine are all safe in the garage)

Where can you do car projects lasting a few days when the weather is rainy/cold? (I do it in the garage.)
Will

CJ

Our garage opens in less than 15 seconds.  We just put a new unit in recently and it's pretty quick and very quiet.

You guys need to lay off of Cougs.  His carport suits his needs.  Your garages suit your needs.  Get over it.  He prefers to have a carport. 

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on November 26, 2012, 10:49:34 AM
Guys, I'm idling it with me not in it; and if it's not ~65F inside it's too cold = idling = not safe in a garage = no.

:facepalm:

65F is too cold for you?  That's what I keep my house at during the night.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: CJ on November 26, 2012, 12:25:11 PM
You guys need to lay off of Cougs.  His carport suits his needs.  Your garages suit your needs.  Get over it.  He prefers to have a carport.  

That's like saying I prefer Miata over Porsche 959 for high-speed driving. I've never driven the latter.
Will

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

280Z Turbo

AutobahnSHO

Will

dazzleman

Quote from: CJ on November 26, 2012, 12:25:11 PM
Our garage opens in less than 15 seconds.  We just put a new unit in recently and it's pretty quick and very quiet.

You guys need to lay off of Cougs.  His carport suits his needs.  Your garages suit your needs.  Get over it.  He prefers to have a carport. 

Cougs is playing with us, claiming a carport is better.  He's pretty hilarious in his latest group of posts.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on November 26, 2012, 06:00:26 PM
Cougs is playing with us, claiming a carport is better.  He's pretty hilarious in his latest group of posts.

I almost feel like this is some kind of homework assignment for a lame corporate sales clinic:

"Using social media, use your sales skills to convince your friends that a carport is superior to an enclosed garage."

MrH

Quote from: dazzleman on November 26, 2012, 06:00:26 PM

Damn it Dave! I thought the Cougs pile on was going to go on for pages. Way to ruin it
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

AutobahnSHO

I don't give him that much credit.  Even if he's trolling he believes the carport is great.

And has no clue how much better a garage is.
Will

GoCougs

Some of you guys absolutely suck at the Internet.

GoCougs

Anyway, my mpg has dropped ~10% owing to the snow tires, which was expected. I'm getting 19.5 - 20 mpg now.

Laconian

You're not driving hard enough. Join me in the mid-17's.

(I expect my MPGs to increase when I swap the wheels this weekend, though)

TurboDan

GoCougs

19.5 - 20 mpg is actually driving fairly hard. Thing is I'm lighter by ~250 lbs and have a bit lower inertia wheels (even with my new 18s) vs. the G37 'vert.

My first tank after buying the car, whereby I drove REAL hard, I got 18.x mpg.

GoCougs

So I'm gonna rant a bit about automatic transmissions. I really don't like them. Knowing the basics of how they work; and the compromises and efficiencies (hydraulic power transfer + clutches + bands + valves + pump + torque converter); really bothers me. NO automaker gets it right with. The G, like many "performance" cars, has "adaptive shifting" which simply makes the tranny schizo - you never know what you're gonna get. Sometimes the shifts are crisp, sometimes they're harsh, and sometimes they're as gooey as melted butter (I prefer more toward the harsh).

I can't wait for the next car as it WILL have a DSG/DCT type transmission. I've decided it's worth the additional maintenance (which is a LOT) and the risk of an uber repair. Right now that means a German car which is a nightmare in the making but the rumor mill is Japanese will start up with such transmissions in their next generation of cars. I sure that happens with the next-gen G, IS and TL, which are all set to debut in the next 1-3 years.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Laconian on December 01, 2012, 01:27:09 AM
You're not driving hard enough. Join me in the mid-17's.

(I expect my MPGs to increase when I swap the wheels this weekend, though)

I'm around 17-18 now, since I've only been driving short distances around town and gunning it once the engine warms up.

Laconian

Same here. My fuel economy actually improves when I really go for it on backroads. :facepalm:

And my city is now talking about adding additional "traffic calming" features. It's so calm already that it's practically narcoleptic! :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

SLOW DOWN SPEED KILLS ETC.

giant_mtb

Quote from: GoCougs on December 01, 2012, 01:55:26 AM
So I'm gonna rant a bit about automatic transmissions. I really don't like them. Knowing the basics of how they work; and the compromises and efficiencies (hydraulic power transfer + clutches + bands + valves + pump + torque converter); really bothers me. NO automaker gets it right with. The G, like many "performance" cars, has "adaptive shifting" which simply makes the tranny schizo - you never know what you're gonna get. Sometimes the shifts are crisp, sometimes they're harsh, and sometimes they're as gooey as melted butter (I prefer more toward the harsh).

I can't wait for the next car as it WILL have a DSG/DCT type transmission. I've decided it's worth the additional maintenance (which is a LOT) and the risk of an uber repair. Right now that means a German car which is a nightmare in the making but the rumor mill is Japanese will start up with such transmissions in their next generation of cars. I sure that happens with the next-gen G, IS and TL, which are all set to debut in the next 1-3 years.

It's called a "stickshift," brah. :ohyeah:

GoCougs

MrH

Lol!

New G is getting revealed at the Detroit Auto Show this year. We'll see if they go dsg or not.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV