My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

68_427

I've always hated the silver in the G.  The wood looks WAY better.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on April 08, 2012, 11:00:58 PM
Yeah, that would be a huge pain in the ass to get apart. Looks like the console and dash are one piece.

from the radio down is different than the dash..

Will

GoCougs

Yes, they're different pieces. Still, a big headache to take apart and not scratch or crack something, or not cause rattles after reassembly.

I can get that pictured matte trim kit for ~$230. Various G boards say it's a topnotch upgrade vs. the factory metal stuff, and otherwise doesn't look cheap or goofy. Spoke to the manufacturer - it's kinda of a bear to put on (fast acting adhesive) and a real bear to take off should it ever come to that.

I think I'm going to do it. The scratches and dents on the existing silver trim is bothering me to no end. After that the last issue is the oh-so-slight marring on the rear bumper at the base of the trunk (hopefully it doesn't need repaint or clear coat - only a good buffing).

Panama Jack

Congrats on the car.

I just bought a G myself.

Havent been here in a while.
Wave to everyone!

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Panama Jack on April 11, 2012, 05:44:50 PM
Congrats on the car.

Wave to everyone!

Nice avatar.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Panama Jack

Quote from: S204STi on April 11, 2012, 06:26:26 PM
:lol:

Haha thanks.

Shes hot now.

Imagine her in her 20's ....that pic is a glimpse

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on April 10, 2012, 12:37:08 PM
I can get that pictured matte trim kit for ~$230. Various G boards say it's a topnotch upgrade vs. the factory metal stuff, and otherwise doesn't look cheap or goofy. Spoke to the manufacturer - it's kinda of a bear to put on (fast acting adhesive) and a real bear to take off should it ever come to that.

Have someone with goodhands help install- or take it to a shop??

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 11, 2012, 06:22:44 PM
Nice avatar.

Will

Raza

Congrats on the car.

Wave to everyone!

Damn son.  A bunch of old names coming back.  You do know that CarSPIN didn't win the Mega Millions, right?

Although, now, come to think of it, we should do a lotto pool next time it gets to a big jackpot. 

And welcome back, Jack.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Congrats on the car.

Wave to everyone!

Nice - post some pics!

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 11, 2012, 07:37:57 PM
Have someone with goodhands help install- or take it to a shop??

Been calling around and can't find any good shops that do such a thing - and neither area Infiniti dealer does it either. The dash trim provider says the stuff should be installable by most anyone; just got to be good with the cleaning of the existing trim and with alignment before the adhesive sets.

giant_mtb

I'd install that shit for $25.  Wouldn't take more than an hour of cleaning and application.  First degreaser, then window cleaner, then iso alcohol to remove any final residue.  Plan the attack of application, line it up and practice once or twice, then do it.

GoCougs

Okay, you convinced me, I'll give it a go...

Catman

Quote from: GoCougs on April 14, 2012, 11:07:22 AM
Okay, you convinced me, I'll give it a go...

It just sticks on. I did my Sequoia a long time ago.

Colonel Cadillac

I really dislike metal in place of wood or carbon fiber in interiors. Wood is my favorite, but carbon fiber is cool in fast cars.

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 14, 2012, 02:52:28 PM
I really dislike metal in place of wood or carbon fiber in interiors. Wood is my favorite, but carbon fiber is cool in fast cars.

I like metal the most, actually. Wood always looks too fake (except when it's real), carbon fiber even more so (and it's pretentious and relatively tacky in anything short of an exotic).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 14, 2012, 03:39:19 PM
I like metal the most, actually. Wood always looks too fake (except when it's real), carbon fiber even more so (and it's pretentious and relatively tacky in anything short of an exotic).

The wood in my car is fake, but it looks great and complements the black interior very well. The aluminum trim that was available looks considerably cheaper. Metal is on everything. Wood, even fake wood, seems nicer to me.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 14, 2012, 04:01:18 PM

The wood in my car is fake, but it looks great and complements the black interior very well. The aluminum trim that was available looks considerably cheaper. Metal is on everything. Wood, even fake wood, seems nicer to me.

I've been in one B7 3.2 with wood, I thought it looked pretty cheap, albeit not as bad as some other interiors I've seen adorned in fake wood. My mom's A4 has the aluminum trim, I think it looks good.

My sister has fake wood in her TSX, I think the aluminum trim looks much better in that application as well.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Wood is fine for old Jags and Rollers...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Lebowski

Except for the higher end models, aluminum looks better than wood (or fake wood) IMO.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 14, 2012, 04:19:50 PM
I've been in one B7 3.2 with wood, I thought it looked pretty cheap, albeit not as bad as some other interiors I've seen adorned in fake wood. My mom's A4 has the aluminum trim, I think it looks good.

My sister has fake wood in her TSX, I think the aluminum trim looks much better in that application as well.

To each his own I guess. I think the aluminum in my sister's TSX looks terrible :lol:

CALL_911

Quote from: Lebowski on April 14, 2012, 04:36:46 PM
Except for the higher end models, aluminum looks better than wood (or fake wood) IMO.

Yeah. The wood looks pretty good in my dad's 5er.

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 14, 2012, 04:37:49 PM
To each his own I guess. I think the aluminum in my sister's TSX looks terrible :lol:

Honestly, I think the 7th gen Accord has a nicer interior than the CL9 TSX.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 14, 2012, 04:40:02 PM
Honestly, I think the 7th gen Accord has a nicer interior than the CL9 TSX.

That generation Accord had an interesting trade-off with the TSX. A comparable accord would have the V6 and be faster, but the TSX had the Euro-tuned suspension and handled/felt better.

Colonel Cadillac

I personally think the B7 A4's interior looks and feels to be of higher quality than the B8's interior. My mom's B8 A4 wagon is fully loaded, and it has some cheap elements that mine definitely does not.

But I don't need to defend my car choice... I thoroughly enjoy driving it everyday. She's getting tinted windows and a roof rack next week.  :ohyeah:  She's itching for a trip to the Colorado mountains next winter as well.

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 14, 2012, 04:44:03 PM

That generation Accord had an interesting trade-off with the TSX. A comparable accord would have the V6 and be faster, but the TSX had the Euro-tuned suspension and handled/felt better.

That's the case in this generation too. At least with the I4 TSX. I think a grand total of 3 people have bought the V6 TSX.

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on April 14, 2012, 04:48:24 PM
I personally think the B7 A4's interior looks and feels to be of higher quality than the B8's interior. My mom's B8 A4 wagon is fully loaded, and it has some cheap elements that mine definitely does not.

I agree.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

The 7th gen Accord also has a bit nicer interior than a G37. Much higher quality cloth/carpet, better switchgear, better attention to details (such as visors, cubby hole doors). I also prefer the Accord's seats (narrower, firmer, cloth) but that's not really a quality issue per se. I even think the wipers were done better on the Accord.

I wouldn't think of wood trim overlays but the factory stuff is beat all to hell; both scratched and dented; console, both front doors, and the piece above the glove box. There is lots of similar looking brushed aluminum overlays available but chances that matches exact is pretty much nil.

CALL_911

No offense, but if all this stuff is as beat to shit as you say it is, why did you buy the car in the first place? Kind of a stupid move, if you ask me.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 15, 2012, 02:46:32 AM
No offense, but if all this stuff is as beat to shit as you say it is, why did you buy the car in the first place? Kind of a stupid move, if you ask me.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!