My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

TurboDan

I had a rental car in Florida for the past week and beat the shit out of it in honor of 'Cougs.  :ohyeah:  :lol:

68_427

I'm going to put my name in the "I absolutely hate almost all aluminum trim" club.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

I shall join the i hate wood trim club.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 15, 2012, 02:46:32 AM
No offense, but if all this stuff is as beat to shit as you say it is, why did you buy the car in the first place? Kind of a stupid move, if you ask me.

I didn't notice it at first, but got such a good deal on it, it's not really an issue.

ITT, it was a used car.

I've had two G service loaners, and all their trim was scratched too, especially around the shifter. The stuff is cheap and scratch prone.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on April 15, 2012, 09:50:11 AM
I didn't notice it at first, but got such a good deal on it, it's not really an issue.

ITT, it was a used car.

I've had two G service loaners, and all their trim was scratched too, especially around the shifter. The stuff is cheap and scratch prone.

Fair enough. The reason I ask is because the market near home seems to be saturated with G37x's, if you missed out on one, you were bound to find a better one down the line. But I hear you.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on April 15, 2012, 09:50:11 AM

ITT, it was a used car.

I see this in a lot of cars I'm in, regardless of class. I've noticed the plastic trim around instruments in Cadillacs are prone to the same scratch risks. My rental Hyundai last week (see full review in Mainstream section) also had the scratches in the same place.

Submariner

Quote from: TurboDan on April 15, 2012, 03:10:41 PM
I see this in a lot of cars I'm in, regardless of class. I've noticed the plastic trim around instruments in Cadillacs are prone to the same scratch risks. My rental Hyundai last week (see full review in Mainstream section) also had the scratches in the same place.

The Silver trim in older Range Rovers was notorious for peeling and flaking.  The face lift took care of it, but it's not uncommon to see well maintained examples (2003-2005) with peeling plastic in side.  Nasty. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Raza

I love the aluminum trim in my car.  My Mercedes had real wood, but even though the wood itself looked good, the panel gaps that came along with it weren't so great.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

I've decided to forgo the wood trim overlays. Meh, I'll just live with it. Not really that big of a deal just sometimes I can obsess about these things. The rest of the car is doing well and I've got better things to do.

She's a fairly heavy pig though. Went to the local truck scale - me + mostly full tank of gas = 4,080 lbs. At this size she's in some fairly dense territory - GTR, (larger) Camaro SS, Audi S4, etc. Still getting 21 - 22 mpg in mixed driving which is more than acceptable for this type of vehicle.

Rupert

Ha, I like that measurement. Car density...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Can't you get some really fine grit and buff it? or is it just plastic?
Will

Lebowski

I think forgoing the wood overlay was a good choice.

thewizard16

Quote from: Raza  on April 22, 2012, 06:02:40 AM
I love the aluminum trim in my car.  My Mercedes had real wood, but even though the wood itself looked good, the panel gaps that came along with it weren't so great.
I tend to like the brushed metal more than wood in cars, but there are some car interiors that pull off the wood look really well. Others just look like it's there because they feel like it has to be.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on April 22, 2012, 06:22:03 PM
Can't you get some really fine grit and buff it? or is it just plastic?

Yes on the latter - the "metal" finish is just a thin layer of paint over plastic. Also, I have dents to in the trim.

GoCougs

People suck. Burn them all.

Got tagged sometime in the last 36 hours (washed the car Sunday night and would have definitely seen this). There also some scuff marks as shown on the lower left but not through the clear coat (will easily buff out). Estimate is 5 days and $1,200 - lol collision deductible is $1,250. Body shop said I could try one of those come-to-you dent removal guys as this dent didn't break the paint, and just paint over the chips with touch-up. Could try that and if it looks crappy just go ahead with the repair. Ugh.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 08, 2012, 05:24:18 PM
People suck. Burn them all.

Got tagged sometime in the last 36 hours (washed the car Sunday night and would have definitely seen this). There also some scuff marks as shown on the lower left but not through the clear coat (will easily buff out). Estimate is 5 days and $1,200 - lol collision deductible is $1,250. Body shop said I could try one of those come-to-you dent removal guys as this dent didn't break the paint, and just paint over the chips with touch-up. Could try that and if it looks crappy just go ahead with the repair. Ugh.

Wow dude.  I've never heard of anyone having a $1200 deductible...oh, and that sucks.

Rich

I'd just let the dent go and put touch up on the chips.  More dents will happen :huh:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 08, 2012, 05:30:40 PM
I'd just let the dent go and put touch up on the chips.  More dents will happen :huh:
Yeah. definitely.

S204STi

Agreed.  Unfortunately mine has quite a few now.  I figure I'll buy my own paintless dent removal kit and pop them all out myself at about 5 years.

GoCougs

Thing is, I didn't had this much damage on my Accord that I had for 7 years and ~150k miles. I'm not super anal about my cars but I'm more particular/careful/mindful than most. Knowing that the dent is there would bug me to no end.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on May 08, 2012, 06:30:25 PM
Thing is, I didn't had this much damage on my Accord that I had for 7 years and ~150k miles. I'm not super anal about my cars but I'm more particular/careful/mindful than most. Knowing that the dent is there would bug me to no end.

I hear that.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on May 08, 2012, 05:30:11 PM
Wow dude.  I've never heard of anyone having a $1200 deductible...oh, and that sucks.

I have a fairly high deductible, though I don't think quite that high. If I ever need to make a claim, I'll put what I'm saving on my insurance bill toward the deductible difference. And I wouldn't make a claim on anything this small anyway.

2o6

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on May 08, 2012, 06:30:25 PM

Me too. I'd bring it to a dent removal place. The touch-up pens they have are incredible and will cover up the one chip to the point where no one will ever notice it.

GoCougs

Got quoted $175 for the dent removal and buff-out. Will travel to my place. No touch up paint work though. Think I'll go for it. I just feel like I'm getting screwed out of money 87 ways from Sunday the last while. I'll chance a mediocre repair I think.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Yep, paintless. Guy has all sorts of great reviews. Good sign that he's honest saying he can't get it 100%.

Cookie Monster

Aren't they the guys tat drill a hole somewhere else in order to pop the hole out from the back?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

S204STi

Quote from: thecarnut on May 09, 2012, 09:21:08 PM
Aren't they the guys tat drill a hole somewhere else in order to pop the hole out from the back?

Basically if they can get to the back side of a panel they can pop it back out.  Not sure if they drill holes.  The guy who did mine didn't.

giant_mtb

Quote from: thecarnut on May 09, 2012, 09:21:08 PM

They only drill holes if necessary.  Paintless dent removal is friggin' legit (assuming the person's good at it.).  I had someone have some PDR done in my driveway before I detailed their car (they were going to trade it in and wanted it dent-free and super clean) and the guy had to drill into the door jamb to get at the inside of the body panel.  But he plugged it up nicely and nobody would ever know the difference.