My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

GoCougs

Scheduled an appointment with the dent removal guy. Apparently it's just various simple tools and a LOT of talent/experience. I forgot but I had a small dent in the gas cap that I had the dealership repair - turned out 98% fixed. This guy said he could only get this new dent to ~90% as it's on a body line. As to the chips, I'll get sanding/paint/clear coat pens on the Internet and will do the touch-up myself.

GoCougs

As to a general update, still working out good. Am noticing various interior rattles more though. The Accord put me though the ringer on that so now I'm a bit desensitized. MPG remains a steady 22 mpg with a mix. Could definitely use an additional cog in the tranny, and the "adaptive" shift logic must be on high as it now shifts HARD with moderate throttle and above (which I like). The dark paint is driving me a bit nutty in that it shows dirt and blemishes easier - next car will definitely be back to silver (or maybe even white).

SVT666

An additional cog?  It's already got 7 gears.

GoCougs

Yep IMO could use 8 gears; remember, it's a heavy-ish car with AWD and a 7600 rpm motor. 1st and 2nd are okay, but 3rd and 4th could be shorter. To keep cruise RPM the same in top gear it would then need another gear somewhere in there.

Admittedly I'm being a bit harsh. Infiniti did a good job with gear spacing such that it's in the meat of the curve (5200 - 7600 rpm) for gears 2-6 which it seems a lot of automakers don't do (i.e., in the upper gears spacing is much wider). I think a time-in-gear of 5700 - 7600 rpm would yield improvements.

Eye of the Tiger

I like 3-speed automatics. More or less is unrreasonable.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 13, 2012, 11:29:56 AM
I like 3-speed automatics. More or less is unrreasonable.

Back in the day when most engines had a max useful RPM of 4,000 rpm, yeah, it was.

Catman

GoCougs

I just noticed some scratches on the hood tonight. Ugh, yeah, put me in a straight jacket.

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on May 13, 2012, 10:31:08 PM
I just noticed some scratches on the hood tonight. Ugh, yeah, put me in a straight jacket.

Will they buff out?

GoCougs

Quote from: CJ on May 13, 2012, 10:33:35 PM
Will they buff out?

I'm not sure - noticed after a huge ride so I'm a bit too burnt out to look closely. Knowing my luck, probably not. They're parallel squiggly scratches as if someone drag a pair of skis across the hood. Unbelievable.

Raza

Quote from: GoCougs on May 13, 2012, 10:31:08 PM

I've got a dime sized ding on my front driver's side quarter.  I'm super pissed off about it, so I know where you're coming from on this.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Cougs is gonna sell this car in about 3 weeks.

GoCougs

Well, there's not a better car out there for me than this. I got a screaming deal on this one and it is more or less a do-all beater for me. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. Won't hold onto it like I did the Accord - target replacement is end of 2015.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2012, 12:40:36 PM
Well, there's not a better car out there for me than this. I got a screaming deal on this one and it is more or less a do-all beater for me. It's not going anywhere anytime soon. Won't hold onto it like I did the Accord - target replacement is end of 2015.
Sure there is.  It's called the BMW 3 Series.  It has better sales numbers.

CALL_911

His problems have nothing to do with the G37, it has more to do with the fact that it's a used car. These are risks you take with a used car, although I do think Cougs probably should have ponied up a bit more cash for a non-Hertz car.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 14, 2012, 12:48:35 PM
His problems have nothing to do with the G37, it has more to do with the fact that it's a used car. These are risks you take with a used car, although I do think Cougs probably should have ponied up a bit more cash for a non-Hertz car.
He has complained about things that are Infiniti G37 specific earlier in the thread.

GoCougs

Actually, the hood scratches and minor wheel well damage are new (since I bought it; not related to previous ownership). Unlikely previous ownership would have been a point of negotiation.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2012, 12:54:42 PM
Actually, the hood scratches and minor wheel well damage are new (since I bought it; not related to previous ownership). Unlikely previous ownership would have been a point of negotiation.

No, it wouldn't have been a point of negotiation, which is why I'd consider finding another G37.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on May 14, 2012, 12:47:06 PM
Sure there is.  It's called the BMW 3 Series.  It has better sales numbers.

Nah; poor reliability, higher maintenance costs, tighter back seat, and 2nd fiddle motor and AWD system?

And who would ever let how much a car does/doesn't sell decide which car to buy???

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2012, 12:59:29 PM
Nah; poor reliability, higher maintenance costs, tighter back seat, and 2nd fiddle motor and AWD system?

And who would ever let how much a car does/doesn't sell decide which car to buy???
Naw.  Better Sales = Better Car

2011 BMW 3 Series - 94,371
2011 Infiniti G - 58,246

GoCougs

???

Dude, you drive a gunned-out Focus wagon. You look ridiculous.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2012, 01:04:18 PM
???

Dude, you drive a gunned-out Focus wagon. You look ridiculous.
WinSPIN!

You've been pwned.

GoCougs

:facepalm:

Drive a better car if you're going to cut on someone else's car.

SVT666

You're like a deer in the headlights.  You've been outCougs'd and you don't know what to do.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on May 14, 2012, 01:23:41 PM
You're like a deer in the headlights.  You've been outCougs'd and you don't know what to do.

And all because the Camaro has outsold the Mustang. Unbelievable!

SVT666

No.  Because your an arrogant prick that can never admit he's wrong about anything.  You needed to be pwned.  That's why I did it and will continue to do it whenever you use BS to back up your position.

SVT666

You got pwned by me using the exact argument you are using with regards to another car, and you hate that...so you attack my car.  I understand.

SVT666

See ATS thread for response.  Sad, just sad.  CougsFAIL!

TurboDan

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 14, 2012, 12:48:35 PM

For someone who bills himself as a know-it-all on just about everything, you think he would've heard of Carfax.  :confused:

And no offense to Infiniti, but having driven both the G37 and E90 3er, there's no contest here. Replacing a damn water pump at some point during the 3's life would be totally and completely worth it for the upgrade. It's not as if Nissan is the reigning king of reliability, anyway.