My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

LonghornTX

Quote from: TurboDan on May 14, 2012, 06:57:58 PM
For someone who bills himself as a know-it-all on just about everything, you think he would've heard of Carfax.  :confused:

And no offense to Infiniti, but having driven both the G37 and E90 3er, there's no contest here. Replacing a damn water pump at some point during the 3's life would be totally and completely worth it for the upgrade. It's not as if Nissan is the reigning king of reliability, anyway.
Yea, my parent's M35 has been less than stellar.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on May 14, 2012, 06:57:58 PM
For someone who bills himself as a know-it-all on just about everything, you think he would've heard of Carfax.  :confused:

And no offense to Infiniti, but having driven both the G37 and E90 3er, there's no contest here. Replacing a damn water pump at some point during the 3's life would be totally and completely worth it for the upgrade. It's not as if Nissan is the reigning king of reliability, anyway.

Of course it had a Carfax - any new (luxury) car dealer will have Carfax report for its used cars - and I saw the one for this car. For someone who is an expert you seem to not remember the structure of a Carfax report - Carfax doesn't list previous owners' info for obvious reasons. It showed "lease/fleet" as type of owner which I stated previously the dealer had said was "probably an Infiniti fleet car for managers blah, blah, blah." Jesus, if yer gonna attack son, check your 'fax' first.

If I felt a 335i, S4, C350, whatever, was the better car for me I'd have one in the driveway. Fact is, other than the S4, there was no material performance/refinement/luxury/whatever advantage by any of 'em, and the legacy of poor reliability and high maintenance costs is still unarguably being WELL earned to this day by all three German marques - okay cars up till about 50k miles, but after that? LOL. That's a dog that just don't hunt.

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2012, 07:34:36 PM
Of course it had a Carfax - any new (luxury) car dealer will have Carfax report for its used cars - and I saw the one for this car. For someone who is an expert you seem to not remember the structure of a Carfax report - Carfax doesn't list previous owners' info for obvious reasons. It showed "lease/fleet" as type of owner which I stated previously the dealer had said was "probably an Infiniti fleet car for managers blah, blah, blah." Jesus, if yer gonna attack son, check your 'fax' first.

If I felt a 335i, S4, C350, whatever, was the better car for me I'd have one in the driveway. Fact is, other than the S4, there was no material performance/refinement/luxury/whatever advantage by any of 'em, and the legacy of poor reliability and high maintenance costs is still unarguably being WELL earned to this day by all three German marques - okay cars up till about 50k miles, but after that? LOL. That's a dog that just don't hunt.
My family has an M35 with over 60k on it, lightly driven by two old people, and it pisses oil all over the garage, FWIW. Having worked in the service department of both a BMW and Infiniti dealership, I can tell you there is no real difference in reliability.

Still, you will enjoy your car regardless so just focus on the fun aspects!

2o6

I think you're making something out of nothing.

GoCougs

Quote from: 2o6 on May 14, 2012, 07:48:35 PM

Can't ever imagine why.

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2012, 07:34:36 PM

The Carfax on my LR2 said the same thing. That's why I thoroughly checked into it, including inspecting a copy of the title and checking out the leasing company that was the previous owner. I also called the JaguarLandRover US corporate office and gave them the VIN to have them confirm maintenance records, including everything from oil changes to the exact firmware version that had been loaded into the ECU/CANbus.

I suspect if Ayn Rand was buying a used car, she'd take a similar precautionary track.  :devil:

Regarding German cars -- I can just go on my experience, which has been positive going back to the VWs and Audis in my family since being a little kid. I'll give you the fact that we never had BMWs. My Passat had very minimal issues to 154,000 miles. My father's A6 has been practically flawless to 135,000 miles and he still has it. My hunch is that many American treat their high-end German cars as they would a Chevy pickup truck, meaning they feed them dino oil when the manual calls for synthetic, regular gas when they take premium, etc.

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on May 14, 2012, 07:48:35 PM

It's his bias against German cars that drives me nuts. And I actually LIKE his car. I test drove one and was considering buying one (although after driving the E90, I moved on).

Also, for a guy so supposedly obsessed with reliability, the seemingly reckless manner in which he bought the vehicle surprises me.

2o6

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on May 14, 2012, 08:11:48 PM
The Carfax on my LR2 said the same thing. That's why I thoroughly checked into it, including inspecting a copy of the title and checking out the leasing company that was the previous owner. I also called the JaguarLandRover US corporate office and gave them the VIN to have them confirm maintenance records, including everything from oil changes to the exact firmware version that had been loaded into the ECU/CANbus.

I suspect if Ayn Rand was buying a used car, she'd take a similar precautionary track.  :devil:

Regarding German cars -- I can just go on my experience, which has been positive going back to the VWs and Audis in my family since being a little kid. I'll give you the fact that we never had BMWs. My Passat had very minimal issues to 154,000 miles. My father's A6 has been practically flawless to 135,000 miles and he still has it. My hunch is that many American treat their high-end German cars as they would a Chevy pickup truck, meaning they feed them dino oil when the manual calls for synthetic, regular gas when they take premium, etc.

Nice attempt at a save but not quite - you went out on a limb with 'Fax Attack' and it didn't turn out well and otherwise you're taking this well beyond its logical losing end. Even if legit you'd be guilty WAY over thinking it.

Knowing it was a fleet car told me 99.5%+ chance it had received all maintenance in order to not bugger the lease. Other than that a check on general condition and tell tale signs of abuse (door dings, wheel scrapage, air dam cracks) told me all was good. Ergo, a G37x now sits in my driveway.

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2012, 08:35:31 PM
Nice attempt at a save but not quite - you went out on a limb with 'Fax Attack' and it didn't turn out well and otherwise you're taking this well beyond its logical losing end. Even if legit you'd be guilty WAY over thinking it.

I'm guilty of having done my homework when tens of thousands of dollars were at stake. There's no "losing end" here. I checked out the car, it was fine, and it is still fine. Win.

Plus, if you recall, YOU were the one whining and crying here the next day about all of the problems you had identified and lamenting the fact that it was a rental and you didn't know that fact beforehand. It seems like you hardly looked at the thing before plunking down money for it. And I'm the loser?

Remember this gem?

Quote5.) And the ginormous issue? THIS WAS A HERTZ RENTAL CAR. In pulling out the owners manual of the leather satchel out came the old registration showing Hertz as the previous owner, plus other Hertz stuff like stickers and the nav instructions. I was told it was purchased at an Infiniti auction and that it was "probably a manager's car." I've checked out in detail the undercarriage and wheels and see zero sign of abuse.

GoCougs

I meant "losing end" as you went LOLz after me with the Carfax thing when you plainly didn't know it doesn't show who previous owners. Be careful of extensionism - it's rarely passes the sniff test.

SVT666

You can easily get a title history for the car.  It's not hard.  As soon as I saw "Fleet", I would have got the title history.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 14, 2012, 09:23:09 PM
I meant "losing end" as you went LOLz after me with the Carfax thing when you plainly didn't know it doesn't show who previous owners. Be careful of extensionism - it's rarely passes the sniff test.

What? My Carfax on my Yaris told me about how many previous owners, what kind of (minor) accidents it's been in, and any and all fleet service reports.

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on May 14, 2012, 10:52:01 PM
What? My Carfax on my Yaris told me about how many previous owners, what kind of (minor) accidents it's been in, and any and all fleet service reports.

Mine told me the type of previous owner it was, which is why I investigated further. Not sure what Cougs saw. It was clearly on mine.

GoCougs

GUYS, Carfax does NOT tell you who the previous owner is, for obvious reasons.

In the US and at least in my state a private citizen CANNOT do a 'title search' at the DMV, again for obvious reasons.

How about you guys stop operating on myth to try to prove an irrelevant point?

SVT666

I went to the Ford dealer and they gave me the complete history on my car including the names of the previous owners.  I've still got it in my files.

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2012, 08:27:34 AM
GUYS, Carfax does NOT tell you who the previous owner is, for obvious reasons.

In the US and at least in my state a private citizen CANNOT do a 'title search' at the DMV, again for obvious reasons.

How about you guys stop operating on myth to try to prove an irrelevant point?

Do you know how to read?

I didn't do a "title search" at the DMV. I asked the dealer to show me the title because he had it in a folder in the goddamn office. He showed it to me. It was a leasing company. I checked out the leasing company. They were fine. So I bought the car. And yes, I did call Land Rover's corporate office and confirm maintenance records and software updates.

And while not always legal, it is most certainly possible to do a title search at the DMV: http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/DO-22a.pdf

LonghornTX

It is pretty easy to do a title search in TX, though I imagine the laws and procedures may vary greatly from state to state.

Catman

I found a spot on my carpet located directly under my front passenger seat. I can't sleep.

MrH

LOL!

Cougs is the ultimate troll.  He got a three-post-in-a-row hissy fit out of Hemi666, all with a Mustang-Camaro sales comment.  Well done. :clap:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Son, it ain't trolling if it's true.

GoCougs

Got my dent fixed - dude predicted 90% fixed but he actually got it 99.5%. Amazing. I got my paint touch-up kit this week and will try this weekend.

Someone scratched me on the driver's side fender - removed a lot of paint. This has got to be happening at work. Ugh.

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: SVT666 on May 14, 2012, 01:02:46 PM
Naw.  Better Sales = Better Car

2011 BMW 3 Series - 94,371
2011 Infiniti G - 58,246

The Toyota Corolla is better than both!

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: GoCougs on May 23, 2012, 12:40:03 PM
Got my dent fixed - dude predicted 90% fixed but he actually got it 99.5%. Amazing. I got my paint touch-up kit this week and will try this weekend.

Someone scratched me on the driver's side fender - removed a lot of paint. This has got to be happening at work. Ugh.

Sucks dude.  Got my car keyed the other day, offside.  Really annoying not knowing who did it.

GoCougs

It's not being keyed; this new scratch is wide and only a couple inches long. Just somebody being careless and then a DB for not leaving a note.

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on May 23, 2012, 08:14:08 PM
It's not being keyed; this new scratch is wide and only a couple inches long. Just somebody being careless and then a DB for not leaving a note.

Security cams?

GoCougs

No, no security cams. If I had to guess looks like someone was unloading something as from a truck and got me; I could also imagine a bike falling over and getting me with a handlebar. (None of these things would happen at work.)

We have a lot of foreign workers at work, and in their culture cars and private property in general aren't a cornerstone of life (esp. that of others) - scratching or denting someone else's car is a non-issue where they're from.

I now parallel park along a curb outside the main parking area - eliminating the risk of door dings or people swinging wide in/out of a spot. I try to park first or last in line narrowing the opportunity for getting bumped to only the front or rear.

Raza

Your new car seems to be a magnet for this shit.  I'm going to guess that it's haunted.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

afty

Park of the reason I bought a used car this time around was so that I wouldn't worry so much about people dinging it.  Turns out that I worry just as much.