My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

Laconian

Quote from: afty on May 24, 2012, 09:45:55 AM
Park of the reason I bought a used car this time around was so that I wouldn't worry so much about people dinging it.  Turns out that I worry just as much.
I had a coworker that let his kids use his Integra as a spraypainting canvas. He was psychologically impervious to dings.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

So I got my paint touch-up kit. I was all geared up to do the masking and sanding and prepping and all the rest of it, but thought about it again, and in no way would that look good, or any better than dabbing the touch-up over the chips and scratches. So, the latter is what I did, primarily to just to keep the blemishes from getting larger. Meh, doesn't look great but should stop the blemishes from growing.

SVT666

GoCougs

Got my first oil change last night. Lube shop first tells me Nissan recommends synthetic; I decline stating conventional will be fine - dude then had the audacity to tell me using conventional will void my warranty. I lol'd: "yeah, I don't think so, just change the oil please."

The whole mythical world of oil is a blight on the industry, and even the enthusiast community. I shall smite thee all if I here again that ABC oil gives me more HP or XYZ oil makes the engine run cooler or any other mythical concoction.

Eye of the Tiger

I put Rotella in the Harley and it gave it more horsepower. I put Motorcraft in the Hyundai and it runs smoother.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

nickdrinkwater

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 22, 2012, 07:48:03 AM
Got my first oil change last night. Lube shop first tells me Nissan recommends synthetic; I decline stating conventional will be fine - dude then had the audacity to tell me using conventional will void my warranty. I lol'd: "yeah, I don't think so, just change the oil please."

The whole mythical world of oil is a blight on the industry, and even the enthusiast community. I shall smite thee all if I here again that ABC oil gives me more HP or XYZ oil makes the engine run cooler or any other mythical concoction.
Synthetic lasts much longer though.  That's how you get the 15,000 mile oil change intervals.

GoCougs

I'll never use synthetic unless the manufacturer says its mandatory (a few cars do; IIRC GT-R and some other ultra performers, and that's usually because the specified weight - like 0W-40 - can only be had with a synthetic) - there's simply no advantage other than it lasts longer in cars so designed (= 15,000 OCI would void my warranty).

afty

While we're talking about oil changes, does anyone know how time affects oil quality?  I don't drive much (~7k miles/yr).  My G35 specifies oil changes every 3 mo/3750 miles, but 3 months seems excessive when I've driven less then 2k miles. 

I might get an oil analysis so I have some data to go on, but I'm curious what other people do in this situation.

GoCougs

The 3 mo./3,750 change interval I don't follow; the 6 mo./7,500 change interval I don't like the non-roundness of the mileage number. I've settled on a 5,000 interval since it's easy to remember and I bought the car at 20k miles...

I've always driven a LOT so I'd never hit the time limit; however, if I ever I do, I'd not go any less than 6 mos.

SVT666

I change the dino oil in my Focus every 5000 miles and judging by the colour I could probably do another 1000.

Eye of the Tiger

Motorcraft syn-blend, and cheaper than most regular oils.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TurboDan

Quote from: SVT666 on June 22, 2012, 10:07:02 AM
Synthetic lasts much longer though.  That's how you get the 15,000 mile oil change intervals.

The longer OCIs are because the EPA is bullying automakers into extending them ? NOT because they are good for the vehicles, synthetic or not. I would stick to a 5K OCI regardless of what the manual says, even with synthetic.

68_427

Lol.  I always do synthetics.  $30 and I can go at least twice as long.

And that $30 leaves me with extra oil.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on June 23, 2012, 08:46:13 AM
The longer OCIs are because the EPA is bullying automakers into extending them ? NOT because they are good for the vehicles, synthetic or not. I would stick to a 5K OCI regardless of what the manual says, even with synthetic.

Extending intervals doesn't hurt either, if it's done correctly (by the automaker).

SVT666

Quote from: TurboDan on June 23, 2012, 08:46:13 AM
BS.  No automaker is going to recommend longer OCIs if it's not good for the engine.  The 3 month/3000 mile OCI is from an era when oil and engine technology necessitated it.  Dealerships and oil companies love it because it's more money in their pockets.  Now they talk about the 5000 mile OCI which is what I go by in my Focus even though I have gone 6500 miles once and the oil was only starting to look dark and I use conventional oil.  BMW recommends a 15,000 mile OCI on their cars.  Nobody bullied BMW into that.  They recommend it because it doesn't need to be any more frequent.  Hell, even the new Ford cars have a recommended OCI of 1 year/10,000 miles.

Raza

We need an acronym for "oil change interval" now? 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on June 24, 2012, 08:25:37 AM
We need an acronym for "oil change interval" now? 

WNA for everything.

MrH

Can we merge this with SVT's "Time for a new car" thread already?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TurboDan

Quote from: SVT666 on June 24, 2012, 01:42:35 AM
BS.  No automaker is going to recommend longer OCIs if it's not good for the engine.  The 3 month/3000 mile OCI is from an era when oil and engine technology necessitated it.  Dealerships and oil companies love it because it's more money in their pockets.  Now they talk about the 5000 mile OCI which is what I go by in my Focus even though I have gone 6500 miles once and the oil was only starting to look dark and I use conventional oil.  BMW recommends a 15,000 mile OCI on their cars.  Nobody bullied BMW into that.  They recommend it because it doesn't need to be any more frequent.  Hell, even the new Ford cars have a recommended OCI of 1 year/10,000 miles.

Manufacturers always manipulate this stuff. In many cases the same engine is used in different vehicles ? one has a huge OCI and one has a much smaller OCI. In the case of my own vehicle, Volvo and Land Rover use the same engine. Volvo requires synthetic. LR says dino. Same engine. Similarly sized vehicles. And the EPA is ABSOLUTELY pressuring automakers into longer OCIs to cut down on oil disposal.

If you want to go 10,000 to 15,000 miles on the same oil filter and oil, be my guest. I want my LR2 to last 'til 200K so I'm not taking any chances.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Rupert on June 25, 2012, 02:41:37 PM
I change my oil about once a year.
Same.

Full synthetic at Wal Mart is $28 for 5 quarts and I have about half a quart left over from oil changes to top off whenever needed as well. :praise:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SJ_GTI

Quote from: TurboDan on June 24, 2012, 11:06:41 AM
Manufacturers always manipulate this stuff. In many cases the same engine is used in different vehicles ? one has a huge OCI and one has a much smaller OCI. In the case of my own vehicle, Volvo and Land Rover use the same engine. Volvo requires synthetic. LR says dino. Same engine. Similarly sized vehicles. And the EPA is ABSOLUTELY pressuring automakers into longer OCIs to cut down on oil disposal.

If you want to go 10,000 to 15,000 miles on the same oil filter and oil, be my guest. I want my LR2 to last 'til 200K so I'm not taking any chances.

:confused:

I am sure this isn't always true, but FWIW my father works at a relatively small shop and all the oil is recycled (a company called Safety-Kleen actually purchases the used oil). As an aside we also use Safety Kleen at my employer for the oil we use in our manufacturing facilities.

Lebowski

Quote from: afty on June 22, 2012, 11:46:44 AM
While we're talking about oil changes, does anyone know how time affects oil quality?  I don't drive much (~7k miles/yr).  My G35 specifies oil changes every 3 mo/3750 miles, but 3 months seems excessive when I've driven less then 2k miles. 

I might get an oil analysis so I have some data to go on, but I'm curious what other people do in this situation.

Time wise, I've heard 1 year. That's what I do in the C6 now that it typically doesn't get there on mileage over that time.

4runner I also change once a year, which comes out a little under 10k miles, Toyota's recommended change interval.

I use synthetic for both.  I usually change the oil myself on the C6. In either case, if I bring it in for a change I'll usually buy the oil myself at Walmart or Costco to avoid the outrageous synthetic up charges some like to tack on.

CALL_911

For some reason, I went through my old posts today and found that I responded to this:

Quote from: GoCougs on May 25, 2011, 12:49:01 PM
The first gen G35 sedan sure is holding its styling. Every time I see one I think, "wow, still looks great." The second get G3x sedan, not so much. The styling seems too faddish and isn't wearing too well IMO. But on paper they're great deals, and with a slightly used model easily had well below $30k. For 2011 the dealio is they've greatly isolated the VQ so NVH is far better than in previous years; reported to be actually quite good. The base wheels on the sedan look absolute horrible - I'd got with the 18" split spoke upgrade and then I think the G37 could float up to the top if I wanted to spend that much (TBD).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

I've had a nagging problems with rattles and buzzing coming from the A-pillar covers (that house the tweeters). Searching various G forums turns out this is a common complaint. Today I pried each off (fastened to the door with those cheap plastic barbed push connectors) and then reseated each. Made a difference thus far but the problem will likely be back. Looks like it's the interface between the underside of the cover and the push connector (the round push portion fits into a slot). Everything else is pretty much bolted or molded. There is black caulking-like stuff used to mitigate rattles; if it's back I'll just squirt some of that stuff in there.

CJ

Get some felt tape.  Seems to quell any rattles my mom's Accord comes up with.

GoCougs

Quote from: CJ on July 06, 2012, 11:40:26 PM
Get some felt tape.  Seems to quell any rattles my mom's Accord comes up with.

There's no purchase on which to put the tape. Imagine a nail head inserted into a molded nub sticking out from a flat surface...

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on July 07, 2012, 12:20:31 AM
There's no purchase on which to put the tape. Imagine a nail head inserted into a molded nub sticking out from a flat surface...

Odd.