My new car: 2011 Infiniti G37x sedan.

Started by GoCougs, March 14, 2012, 11:44:21 PM

MrH

On the back side of the molding, it should say what material it is. ABS or PC-ABS I'm guessing? You can out some molybdenum disulfide on it and that should solve it. I'll check next time and make sure that's the right compound and what brands are out there.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: CJ on July 07, 2012, 12:54:03 PM

Odd. 

Pretty standard fair I find actually, for securing stuff within a car interior. The highlighted interface is what I was trying to describe - this is where I think the buzzing is coming from (the white barb push piece thingy is simply snapped into the black molded-in retainer):

Laconian

I just popped in here to say that I <3 the G37.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

I tell ya, I'm having a wee bit of an issue with these interior rattles but all in all it's a great car and one of the singular best deals in all of autombiledom. Bah if it's similar too similar to the TSX - get the x version and you're 4-season enabled too!

CJ

Ah, I see what you mean. Volvo didn't use too many of those in my 940, but this was also 20 years ago. After 20 years, I have one squeak.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 08, 2012, 12:09:23 AM
I tell ya, I'm having a wee bit of an issue with these interior rattles but all in all it's a great car and one of the singular best deals in all of autombiledom. Bah if it's similar too similar to the TSX - get the x version and you're 4-season enabled too!
You should have bought the 2009.  No interior rattles.   :tounge:

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on July 09, 2012, 11:08:05 AM
You should have bought the 2009.  No interior rattles.   :tounge:

My rattles don't surface till ~60+ mph on the particular concrete used on WA interstates.

Also, does the '09 have tweeters in the A-pillars? That's where my issues lie.

Rich

Quote from: GoCougs on July 09, 2012, 12:19:51 PM
My rattles don't surface till ~60+ mph on the particular concrete used on WA interstates.

So just take the tweeters out?  Put smiley face stickers there or something to try and cheer you up from all that traffic.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

giant_mtb

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 09, 2012, 12:20:56 PM
So just take the tweeters out?  Put smiley face stickers there or something to try and cheer you up from all that traffic.

But, but...what about all his trebles? :(

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on July 09, 2012, 12:19:51 PM

No.  My tweeters are in front of the door handle right below the A-pillar.

Rich

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 09, 2012, 12:39:24 PM
But, but...what about all his trebles? :(

:lol:

I think cougs would shit bricks at having to look at stickers covering up holes in his dash before he could even notice there's no moar trebles
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Morris Minor

Quote from: Laconian on July 08, 2012, 12:05:38 AM
I just popped in here to say that I <3 the G37.

Jumping in too to record the fact that somebody in this office building has a black G37 S sedan with... wait for it... a dark red ("ox blood?") leather interior. It looks gorgeous.  :wub:

Tried to find the option on Infiniti's web site, but it must have been a now-unavailable special edition or some such.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

68_427

Can you buy a sedan G37 IPL?

Edit:  The 2011 Limited Edition had red leather.   :ohyeah:
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on July 30, 2012, 09:41:29 AM
Can you buy a sedan G37 IPL?

I don't think so, but you can buy everything you need to make it an IPL.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26986.msg1756380#msg1756380 date=1343684969
IPL?
Infiniti Performance Line

IPL G37 is coupe only, but you can buy all the parts and even the front clip for the sedan.  Personally, I think it's an exorbitant price for very little gain.

GoCougs

The IPL's add'l ~20 extra hp is "fake" and goes to show the worthlessness of aftermarket exhaust (for gaining power). They simply uncorked the exhaust, and in the process moved the powerband up a bit (~400 rpm). Without modifying gearing or weight that usually only results in a louder car that isn't any faster. The IPL body work looks terrible too, and base MSRP is $49k. LOL.

giant_mtb

Only people with more money than sense would get an IPL from the factory.

GoCougs

I got some tree sap on my car that is the stickiest stuff I have ever seen. I almost have to take a wire brush to my skin to get it off. I don't dare try to scrub it off the paint for fear of damage. Pressure washer at the local car wash took off some but there is still some left. Ugh. I plan to get it detailed end of September to be ready for the winter so I'll have the experts take a look.

Overall the car is holding up great. Despite being careful however I'm getting scratches and marring on the back bumper from what is probably putting stuff in the trunk (big ass bag of bike stuff) and from taking the bike rack on and off so often. Meh. Big deal after the fact; this is pretty much my beater/do-everything car. The Accord's silver paint not doubt hid these sins a bit better though.

By taking off the A-pillar covers and reseating 'em a number of times the buzzing and rattling has mostly gone away, which is good. My tires are near the wear bars (at only 26k miles, yikes) so that is contributing to some extent (i.e., rough ride). I keep going back and forth on snow tires for the winter; right now I'm thinking I will; this will time nicely with the end of the current tires' life.

Morris Minor

Clay bars are awesome, you might try one on the tree sap
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

Tree sap finally came off on its own - nasty stuff.

So, had my first freeway trip last weekend (~350 miles). Only managed 21.5 mpg though it was in the 90s and the car was all loaded up with bikes and gear. Expected better though considering on my weekday commute which includes slower speeds and a bit of stop-n-go I manage ~22 mpg.

Also, the AT bothers me. When in drive sometimes it shifts quick and hard and other it feels lazy and almost as if it's slipping on shifts. Will have the next major service done at the dealer and will ask about AT reprogramming.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: GoCougs on August 01, 2012, 12:18:34 PM
Overall the car is holding up great. Despite being careful however I'm getting scratches and marring on the back bumper from what is probably putting stuff in the trunk (big ass bag of bike stuff) and from taking the bike rack on and off so often. Meh. Big deal after the fact; this is pretty much my beater/do-everything car. The Accord's silver paint not doubt hid these sins a bit better though.

Thought you had a hitch rack?   Trunk racks will mar it up no matter how careful you are.
Will

GoCougs

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on August 11, 2012, 03:04:14 PM
Thought you had a hitch rack?   Trunk racks will mar it up no matter how careful you are.

Yep, I do have a hitch rack (had a strap-on trunk rack with one the Accord for a bit - a GINORMOUS POS). I guess it's just doing stuff in and around the rear of the car - loading bags, putting on the hitch rack, and taking bikes on/off.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on August 11, 2012, 02:44:05 PM
Tree sap finally came off on its own - nasty stuff.

So, had my first freeway trip last weekend (~350 miles). Only managed 21.5 mpg though it was in the 90s and the car was all loaded up with bikes and gear. Expected better though considering on my weekday commute which includes slower speeds and a bit of stop-n-go I manage ~22 mpg.

Also, the AT bothers me. When in drive sometimes it shifts quick and hard and other it feels lazy and almost as if it's slipping on shifts. Will have the next major service done at the dealer and will ask about AT reprogramming.
I have the same issue.  Mostly at lower speeds though.  It's usually when I left off the gas and then step on it again.  It feels like I'm catching it between gears or something.

afty

My average mileage for the last year in my MT G35 has been around 18.5 MPG.  I drive maybe 50% city and 50% highway, and I don't even drive very aggressively.  It's really my only complaint about this car.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on August 14, 2012, 10:36:47 AM
I have the same issue.  Mostly at lower speeds though.  It's usually when I left off the gas and then step on it again.  It feels like I'm catching it between gears or something.

Yeah, my AT is a bit soft when asked to downshift at part throttle (the Accord was actually more aggressive to me actually) and it can be jerky when getting back on the gas as you describe. My issue though is when taking off from a stop at part throttle - sometimes it's nice and aggressive (i.e., sharp/hard) and other times it feels soft and almost like it slips between shifts. I'm due for my 30k service in about a month, and will report back what the dealer says about shifting programming updates/upgrades/fixes.

What MPG are you getting?

SVT666

I drive fairly aggressively, while my wife drive it fairly "normal" and the trip computer says I'm averaging 20.3 mpg.  On Saturday, I traveled two mountain passes and through Vancouver for an 80/20 split highway/city, I averaged 24 mpg.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on August 14, 2012, 04:56:06 PM
I drive fairly aggressively, while my wife drive it fairly "normal" and the trip computer says I'm averaging 20.3 mpg.  On Saturday, I traveled two mountain passes and through Vancouver for an 80/20 split highway/city, I averaged 24 mpg.

Sucks.  You should have gotten a V6 Mustang.  Faster and more fuel efficient.  :devil:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=26986.msg1764432#msg1764432 date=1345035880
Sucks.  You should have gotten a V6 Mustang.  Faster and more fuel efficient.  :devil:
I will never buy a V6 Mustang.  Ever.  I don't care how good it is.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on August 15, 2012, 09:57:56 AM
I will never buy a V6 Mustang.  Ever.  I don't care how good it is.

What if the Shelby GT600 of the future is a V6, and by then nobody has ever heard of a V8? :mask:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)