GTCC #788

Started by Colin, March 17, 2012, 04:44:12 PM

mzziaz

A Hindustan Ambassador, perhaps?
Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Colin

Not an Alvis, but you are in the right sort of area........ I suspect that a potential Alvis customer might have considered one of these........ and like Alvis, this maker did not just make cars. This maker was also involved in the jet aircraft engine business. 

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colin

No...... true there's an aero engine link there, but I did say that this marque no longer produces cars. They stopped in 1960.

FoMoJo

Is it British or UK?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colin

Quote from: cawimmer430 on March 22, 2012, 07:24:22 AM
Armstrong-Sidley?
:clap:

It is an Arnstrong Siddeley............ which one?

cawimmer430

Oh boy.... I don't know any names...

Was there an AS Hawk?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colin

Many of them were named after famous planes, such as Lancaster and Typhoon, but this particular gem (hint!) was not........... and it has a number as well. 

FoMoJo

Quote from: Colin on March 22, 2012, 08:27:33 PM
Many of them were named after famous planes, such as Lancaster and Typhoon, but this particular gem (hint!) was not........... and it has a number as well.  
I spent a hour or more last night reviewing a bunch of Armstrong-Siddeley sites which listed all the models they ever made and none of them listed this model.  The closest I came was a youtube on a Armstrong-Siddeley car show in Scotland...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkacU1Qrcy8.  Seems it's a Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire 234 or 236. :huh:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

cawimmer430

I'm going to do an Ifcar and give up. It's too hard! Post something easy like a 1980s Camry or something! :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Colin

FoMoJo is correct, it is indeed an Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 234.

You can't tell the 234 and 236 apart visually, but the owner told me that this is a 234 (which means it has the 4 cylinder engine). He told me that he likes "eccentric old cars" and this is certainly that. They were not well rated when new as the engine was weak, and the arrival of the Jaguar 2.4 was all the competition that A-S did not need. He thought that there were about 6 of these cars in Australia, which is quite a lot considering how few were made.

cawimmer430

FoMoJo has to post the next car - make it a 1980s Ford LTD Crown Victoria!  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

FoMoJo

Hier Wimmer deserves the credit of naming the brand.  However, I will attempt to post a car that takes Colin more than 20 seconds to identify.