Possible next car.

Started by Northlands, March 18, 2012, 01:48:43 PM

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on March 23, 2012, 03:03:15 PM
Just based on my experience, the Mazda3 kind of sucks.  I'm going to ignore the engine and transmission, since I drove the shittiest pairing.  But there are so many poorly designed things:

1.  The key.  Here's a comparison:

So if you release the switchblade in the Volkswagen, the key is already optimally positioned in your hand to enter the ignition and turn it to start the engine.  In the Mazda, you have to hold the key one way to flip the key out and then hold it another way to start the engine.  It's a little thing, but it's annoying.  Yes, you can get used to it, but you shouldn't have to.  

Speaking as someone who has that kind of Mazda key: you're talking out of your ass. You don't have to "hold it another way to start the engine".

Quote2.  The driver's side grab handle.  There isn't one.  Fuck you.

Most cars don't.

Quote3.  Trunk/gas cap release.  On the floor?  I know that this isn't the only car to have it, but it was a dumb idea when it was first created and it's a dumb idea now.

Where would you prefer it?

Quote4.  The radio controls are incomprehensible.

See that giant knob in the middle?  The power/volume knob, right?  Nope.  That's the tiny little knob down and to the left.

Okay, this one I'll give you: it is a legitimately stupid design. In the 2.5 years I've owned my three I've touched the GIGANTIC FUCKING SILVER KNOB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RADIO CONTROLS maybe twice, ever.

Quote5.  The steering wheel.  Why in god's name does it need that many fucking buttons?  You can order a pizza or a missile strike using those goddamned controls.  And, on the 9-3 spokes, the steering wheel controls are cool little toggle type switches.  Which, by the way, are not anywhere close to flush to the steering wheel, and stick out so far, that every time you try to turn the wheel, you change your radio station or change the volume, and on a minor note, it fucking hurts when your hand hits them.

What, how?do have cerebral palsy? Leprosy? I don't even understand how it's possible that your hands are coming in contact with the toggle switches while you're turning the wheel unless your wrists are contorted from some sort of deformity.

ifcar

The driver has two "grab handles": the steering wheel and the shifter. What else should you be grabbing while driving?

I also don't like the steering wheel controls, but for a different reason: I prefer the cruise controls within thumb's reach -- the most common positioning -- whereas it sounds like you'd be constantly activating and deactivating cruise in most cars.

And some cars have a button to press on the lower dash or door panel for the fuel release, which I agree is an easier place to reach than the floor but I don't put so much significance on.

TL;DR: Raza hasn't driven anything south of $20k that he doesn't hate and is very, very particular about any controls that aren't done the way he's used to.

CALL_911

My car doesn't even have a trunk release on the inside, ditto a remote gas door opener.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

I've heard good things about the Focus.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

2o6

I don't understand the hype of the Jetta, though. It ok, I guess.

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on March 23, 2012, 07:44:41 PM
I also don't like the steering wheel controls, but for a different reason: I prefer the cruise controls within thumb's reach -- the most common positioning

Mine are on the wheel, in thumbs reach. :huh: :lol:

The added nav system controls are pretty dumb, I'll give you that. In 3s without the nav/trip computer screen the cruise controls are on the spoke at 3 o'clock.

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on March 23, 2012, 09:41:27 PM
Mine are on the wheel, in thumbs reach. :huh: :lol:

The added nav system controls are pretty dumb, I'll give you that. In 3s without the nav/trip computer screen the cruise controls are on the spoke at 3 o'clock.

The 2012 i Touring I drove, no nav, has the cruise control scattered all around the steering wheel. Just one step above base, no extra options. If yours has a better layout, you got lucky.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on March 23, 2012, 10:35:03 PM
The 2012 i Touring I drove, no nav, has the cruise control scattered all around the steering wheel. Just one step above base, no extra options. If yours has a better layout, you got lucky.

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Looks pretty standard! :hammerhead:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CJ

The Jetta 5-cylinder isn't that bad at all. It's honestly got plenty of power for what it is. It sounds pretty interesting and it doesn't accelerate that slowly. For the class, it's completely adequate. MPGs do suffer a bit, especially compared to...everything else, but it's not bad at all.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on March 23, 2012, 04:15:47 PM
You'll have to get out and drive one, but the 2.5 is rough and wheezy.

Doesn't sound that way in any of the you tub vidsz

93JC

Quote from: ifcar on March 23, 2012, 10:35:03 PM

Well "i Touring" means nothing to me, but I presume that's the equivalent of a 'GS' in Canada. (Mine is a GS.)

Where you see the arrows, 'back' and 'info' buttons are where my cruise control is. I have none of those extra buttons.

Crappy picture from an eBay listing:

I presume the car you drove had the trip computer? At the time it was an option on the mid-level GS trim in Canada, standard only on the top-of-the-line GT. Mine doesn't have a trip computer and other things that were probably standard on the equivalent US trim (such as traction control, stability control and the TPMS) but it does have things that were only available on the top-level trim in the US (AFAIK) such as heated side mirrors, automatic headlights, an auto-dimming mirror and rain-sensing wipers.

hotrodalex

That steering wheel is ugly and cheap looking, especially with the extra CC buttons. No thank you.

ifcar

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 23, 2012, 10:38:53 PM

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Looks pretty standard! :hammerhead:

Usually the cruise controls are right at the 3 o'clock position -- right where the 3 has settings for the trip computer instead. In the 3, they're on both sides of the steering wheel, lower down. You have to take your hands off the wheel.

(My Focus has a similar layout, but the buttons are clustered better and closer to the rim.)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: ifcar on March 23, 2012, 11:06:20 PM
Usually the cruise controls are right at the 3 o'clock position -- right where the 3 has settings for the trip computer instead. In the 3, they're on both sides of the steering wheel, lower down. You have to take your hands off the wheel.

(My Focus has a similar layout, but the buttons are clustered better and closer to the rim.)

Those cruise buttons are positioned perfectly for when you should be using cruise control - relaxed driving, hand a the bottom of the wheel. If your hands are at 10 & 2, it's GO TIME, and you should not be using cruise. MAKES SENSE

ifcar

Quote from: 93JC on March 23, 2012, 11:03:49 PM
Well "i Touring" means nothing to me, but I presume that's the equivalent of a 'GS' in Canada. (Mine is a GS.)

Where you see the arrows, 'back' and 'info' buttons are where my cruise control is. I have none of those extra buttons.

I presume the car you drove had the trip computer?

In the U.S., "i Sport" is the cheapest model -- the old 2.0-liter. "i Touring" is the cheapest Skyactiv model, with "Grand Touring" being the one with leather and other goodies. "S" models have the 2.5-liter.

Does yours not have a trip computer? Maybe Mazda expanded availability on that.

93JC

Sorry, see above. I started editing my post before you had posted that last one.

EDIT:

In Canada the cheapest model is the GX, which is only available with the old 2.0 L ('LF') engine and five-speed manual or automatic. The next step up is GS, which in the sedan comes with the 2.0 L engine but in the hatchback ('Sport'; all hatchbacks are "Mazda3 Sport") it comes with the 2.5 L ('L5'). The GS-SKY trim was added this model year and other than coming with the Skyactiv-G engine and the new 6-speed transmissions is exactly the same as the GS. The sedan GS is less expensive than the GS-SKY; the Sport GS is more expensive than the Sport GS-SKY. The top of the line is the GT (which only comes with the 2.5 L regardless of body style) and, according to http://www.mazda.ca, is the only trim available in Canada with the trip computer.

The base GX wheel only had cruise control, which was situated on the spoke at 9 o'clock. Bluetooth and the wheel-mounted audio controls were an option. Cruise control has since become an option on the GX as well. They're standard on the GS (and GS-SKY). The GT comes with the trip computer, so I presume it has the extra buttons on the wheel. The nav system is an option only available on GT.

SVT666

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 23, 2012, 11:08:15 PM
Those cruise buttons are positioned perfectly for when you should be using cruise control - relaxed driving, hand a the bottom of the wheel. If your hands are at 10 & 2, it's GO TIME, and you should not be using cruise. MAKES SENSE
I agree.  That's where they are on my Focus.  It's where they were on our Freestyle.  On my Ram, the buttons were at 3 and 9, but the stereo controls were on the back of the steering wheel....where they should be.  Those were far and away the most intuitive stereo controls I have ever experienced.

93JC

Seems Mazda changes around the features in the 3 in Canada every year. My car has things that are now options (fog lights) or only available on the higher trim (auto-dimming mirror) and doesn't have things that are now standard (leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob)...

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on March 23, 2012, 11:34:41 PM
Seems Mazda changes around the features in the 3 in Canada every year. My car has things that are now options (fog lights) or only available on the higher trim (auto-dimming mirror) and doesn't have things that are now standard (leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob)...

I require dead animal skin on my rim and knob.

93JC

With use your rim and knob would be rubbed 'raw' and feel like dead animal skin: close enough?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 93JC on March 23, 2012, 11:42:08 PM
With use your rim and knob would be rubbed 'raw' and feel like dead animal skin: close enough?

They make conditioner for that

TurboDan

Geez, guys, you're picking apart the Mazda3 as if it was a $35K 3er.

In that class of vehicles, I'd welcome any extra technology and gadgetry they threw in. That steering wheel, as far as I can tell, looks like most other modern steering wheels. The VW and Audi steering wheels these days are covered in buttons and toggles as well.

Have you seen the current Range Rover's steering wheel?

68_427

Cruise control on one side, phone on the other.  Simple enough.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on March 23, 2012, 03:11:52 PM
The interior is absurdly cheap, the 2.0L has no place being on sale at all, price is actually about the same as the old model and it looks incredibly bland.

The interior isn't that bad.  It's much better than the Mazda3, for example. 

Bland looks is why it's so successful.  I don't like it; the MkV was better in every way. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 23, 2012, 03:29:12 PM
I was speaking more to the 2.5 I5 rather than that entire generation of Jettas, as I thought he was.

I drove the 2.5.  It's a good around town engine, but it does run out of puff on the highway.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  on March 24, 2012, 10:18:37 AM
Bland looks is why it's so successful.  I don't like it; the MkV was better in every way. 

Well, that's way too easy to disprove. Space, ride quality and fuel economy improved. 

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27009.msg1690855#msg1690855 date=1332605969
I drove the 2.5.  It's a good around town engine, but it does run out of puff on the highway.

That's what I would figure. Good enough base motor. Better than a 2.slo eh

Raza

Quote from: 93JC on March 23, 2012, 05:47:54 PM
Speaking as someone who has that kind of Mazda key: you're talking out of your ass. You don't have to "hold it another way to start the engine".

I drove one for three days.  You have to turn your wrist almost all the way around to get the key into the fucking ignition.  It's annoying.

Most cars don't.

I have a hard time remembering one that didn't.

Where would you prefer it?

On the door.

Okay, this one I'll give you: it is a legitimately stupid design. In the 2.5 years I've owned my three I've touched the GIGANTIC FUCKING SILVER KNOB IN THE MIDDLE OF THE RADIO CONTROLS maybe twice, ever.

Yup. 

What, how?do have cerebral palsy? Leprosy? I don't even understand how it's possible that your hands are coming in contact with the toggle switches while you're turning the wheel unless your wrists are contorted from some sort of deformity.

You never touch the spokes of your steering when turning?  Never ever?  You hold at 10 and 2?  9 and 3?  12?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on March 24, 2012, 10:19:46 AM
Well, that's way too easy to disprove. Space, ride quality and fuel economy improved. 

Okay, in every way that matters.  The MkV didn't need to get any bigger, I disagree about the ride quality, and how can the fuel economy have been noticeably improved if it uses the same engines and transmissions?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on March 23, 2012, 07:44:41 PM
The driver has two "grab handles": the steering wheel and the shifter. What else should you be grabbing while driving?

I also don't like the steering wheel controls, but for a different reason: I prefer the cruise controls within thumb's reach -- the most common positioning -- whereas it sounds like you'd be constantly activating and deactivating cruise in most cars.

And some cars have a button to press on the lower dash or door panel for the fuel release, which I agree is an easier place to reach than the floor but I don't put so much significance on.

TL;DR: Raza hasn't driven anything south of $20k that he doesn't hate and is very, very particular about any controls that aren't done the way he's used to.

That's not true.  I drove a MkV Jetta that was under $20K and thought that was fine. 

And considering you put no stock in the grab handle, I assume you've never been in a traffic jam or waited in a car to pick someone up.  You never put your arm on the sill and hold on to the ceiling mounted grab handle while you're waiting to get moving again? 

And controls are either logical or not.  It's as simple as that.  Get into a well designed car and you instinctively know where everything is (well, the major controls).  Get into a poorly designed interior and you don't. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i