SV650 motor rebuild

Started by Champ, March 26, 2012, 08:48:21 AM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Champ on March 26, 2012, 06:35:19 PM
No - they run in the class below mine.  There are very few that run anymore - they aren't the "hot" bike to have for the class and are spendy to go slow.

Our org. has a spec ninja 250 class, which is slowly becoming one of the largest grids out there.  Super competitive races because all the bikes are the same - and CHEAP.  1-2 sets of tires a year, 1 tank of gas all weekend.  No motor tuning so bike cost is very low.  It also runs at the same time as the class that an EX500 would be in - so many people have just switched.

Running a 250 Ninja could be a lot of fun. I might have to look into that. I need to improve my riding sk1LLz.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Champ

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 26, 2012, 06:43:54 PM
Running a 250 Ninja could be a lot of fun. I might have to look into that. I need to improve my riding sk1LLz.
Pretty tight racing, makes for good spectating even though they aren't going very fast!

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on March 26, 2012, 06:43:54 PM
Same here!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

sportyaccordy

Wow awesome build Champ. Also very cool that your wife not only rides, but races too!

Suzuki needs to bring over the GSR-750, and maybe base the next GSF on the Hayabusa instead of the Bandit.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 27, 2012, 07:06:34 AM
Wow awesome build Champ. Also very cool that your wife not only rides, but races too!

Suzuki needs to bring over the GSR-750, and maybe base the next GSF on the Hayabusa instead of the Bandit.

Busa engine isn't nearly as well suited for standard duty as the Bandit engine is.  Instead of detuning a sportbike engine, which involves compromises to the power band, the Bandit had a purpose-built engine.  People look down on it because it "only" makes ~98 hp while bikes like the FZ1 make 115-125, but what they overlook is the fact that at pretty much any RPM under 6000, the Bandit makes 10-25 hp more than the other liter-class standards.  Considering most people don't spend their entire time running their engine at 7000 RPM on the street, having power in the parts of the RPM band where you really spend a lot of your time when on the street is a huge bonus.

I'd also point out that the curb weight on the Busa is a few pounds more than the GSX1250 (which is slightly heavier than the Bandit), despite having an aluminum frame.  And in order to keep it affordable as a Bandit should be, you're going to lose goodies like the fully adjustable suspension on the Busa for cheaper forks and shock.  I honestly see very little reason to base the next GSF or GSX on the Busa.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

That's what the B-King was for, anyway.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)