Prius recall

Started by ifcar, October 14, 2005, 04:33:54 AM

ifcar

Prius Recalled for Stalling

The newest generation of Toyota's Prius will be recalled for a stalling problem linked to the vehicle's complex engine-control software. About 75,000 copies of the 2004-2005 Prius will be brought back for reprogramming to cure the glitch, which can cause warning lights to come on and can cause the gas engine to shut down, leaving the driver under only battery power to slow down safely. Sales of the Prius have leapt by 127 percent in the past year, driven by increases in fuel prices.  

giant_mtb

Eh, everyone makes mistakes.  :ph34r:  

Raza

We've been hearing about this for over a year.  There was an NHTSA investigation about it quite some time ago.  How come it's "everyone makes a mistake" when a Japanese brand sits on it, but it's "Bad, bad!" when GM or Ford makes a recall due to a suppliers' faulty product?  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

I can't say I remember Giant giving much criticism to other recalled vehicles either.

Raza

QuoteI can't say I remember Giant giving much criticism to other recalled vehicles either.
I meant in general, not just Chris.  It does seem aimed at him, but it's not.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

thewizard16

People are also more willing to forgive a mistake that's intangible to them, like a software glitch, than a mechanical failure. To be fair, I think Toyota gets roasted the most on other forums when they have a recall. All the domestic trolls and general anti-toyota people jump on it. Everyone goofs, some goof more than others. I don't see what the big deal on either side is, unless the goof is huge and killing people.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

giant_mtb

QuoteI can't say I remember Giant giving much criticism to other recalled vehicles either.
Thanks.  ;)  

bobwill

Recalls don't bother me, let's face it, you take your car into the mechanic (usually you can schedule it for when you're normally going to be going in for some form of maintenence) if they require to keep the car overnight and you're under warranty you're probably getting a free loaner for the time they're working on it, it doesn't seem like a big deal.
I much prefer that to having an engine that doesn't make it to 60,000 miles because of some known flaw that can be fixed for $100 if you catch it early on but the car company did their best to conceal any real problems.