2014 BMW M3 Preview

Started by cawimmer430, March 28, 2012, 05:43:22 AM

850CSi

You know, I never really enjoyed the "rush of power" in the 335xi I drove. Maybe it felt like such a shitty car to drive because it was an auto AWD 3-series, but it wasn't fun at all.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on March 29, 2012, 09:50:08 PM
You should go test drive a 35i, or new 28i BMW.
When it gets warm I will definitely make a few trips to dealerships

SJ_GTI

Quote from: SVT666 on March 29, 2012, 09:28:09 PM
You said nothing about All-seasons in your original post.  BTW, AWD in snow doesn't make you stop any better or corner any better, it just gives you better traction for acceleration.

While I agree it doesn't help when stopping, it does help you corner better in many situations simply because most turns are made while also applying power to the wheels (not necessarily accelarating but you are applying power to the wheels even if you are just maintaining speed).

From a practical POV, I have always had an easier time handling with my AWD car (first an A4 and currently an S4) vs a FWD (my GTI) or RWD (My Z3...which did have a LSD BTW) car in the snow.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Secret Chimp on March 29, 2012, 08:51:26 AM
Is this real or a rendering? The rear wheels sit kind of funny inside of the fenders.

Rendering. It's the current M3 body with some styling cues of the current 3er tacked on.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT666

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 30, 2012, 07:25:54 AM
While I agree it doesn't help when stopping, it does help you corner better in many situations simply because most turns are made while also applying power to the wheels (not necessarily accelarating but you are applying power to the wheels even if you are just maintaining speed).

From a practical POV, I have always had an easier time handling with my AWD car (first an A4 and currently an S4) vs a FWD (my GTI) or RWD (My Z3...which did have a LSD BTW) car in the snow.
It might help in low speed corners but anything above say 25 mph it all comes down to tires.

Lebowski

It sez the 4-door will be available first ... Anybody know when that will be?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: SVT666 on March 30, 2012, 08:01:20 AM
It might help in low speed corners but anything above say 25 mph it all comes down to tires.

In significant snow I am usually not driving much (if any) faster then 25 MPH when making turns...

r0tor

Quote from: SJ_GTI on March 30, 2012, 07:25:54 AM

I agree... I can almost fall alseep driving the Jeep in the snow with all seasons while the RX8 was always a nervous twitchy bitch in the snow with snow tires on.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

LonghornTX

Quote from: Lebowski on March 30, 2012, 08:44:55 AM
It sez the 4-door will be available first ... Anybody know when that will be?
Probably sometime next year, if history is any guide.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

S204STi

Quote from: SVT666 on March 30, 2012, 08:01:20 AM

Disagree.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: S204STi on March 30, 2012, 10:42:16 AM
Disagree.

it's all about drift angle and keeping your right foot down, eh? :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Colonel Cadillac

I can't wait to hear this theoretical turbo-V6 sounds like.

And, sporty, you can still hope Cadillac will drop the LS3 in the ATS-V! I really hope Cadillac goes the NA V8 route.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on March 30, 2012, 10:58:55 AM
I can't wait to hear this theoretical turbo-V6 sounds like.

And, sporty, you can still hope Cadillac will drop the LS3 in the ATS-V! I really hope Cadillac goes the NA V8 route.
That would be pretty beastly. The LSx is really light too. Its pretty much perfect. I would also bet the ATS-V will be lighter than the M3 too. I wish Infiniti would get more serious. People are doing some gnarly things with VQs. Stroked VQs are putting down more torque at the wheels than stock M3s do at the crank... and power is only limited by revs

I'm still having trouble reconciling a V6 BMW, but I also get that I'm being a little irrational/hyperbolic. At the minimum I hope they make it louder than the M5. Unbelievable that an M car needs an engine noise generator :facepalm:

Cookie Monster

Quote from: r0tor on March 30, 2012, 09:13:45 AM
I agree... I can almost fall alseep driving the Jeep in the snow with all seasons while the RX8 was always a nervous twitchy bitch in the snow with snow tires on.
Is that due to 4WD or due to the softer steering and suspension on the Jeep compared to the much more responsive setup in the RX8?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on March 30, 2012, 11:14:41 AM
Is that due to 4WD or due to the softer steering and suspension on the Jeep compared to the much more responsive setup in the RX8?
Thats def a part of it, as well as the Jeep's higher pressure on the contact patch. I bet the Jeep + RX8 have the same tire width

Some cars are just skittish... my buddy's mom refuses to drive her S2000 in the rain, the tail loves to step out even on new tires

GoCougs

AWD/4WD helps in all inclement conditions; acceleration, braking and handling/turning.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 30, 2012, 01:29:38 PM
AWD/4WD helps in all inclement conditions; acceleration, braking and handling/turning.
How does it help in braking + turning?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on March 29, 2012, 08:10:34 PM
He's wrong if but for nothing other than mixing premises and sprinkling in a bit of strawmanism. (I deleted that comment FWIW, as it was sharper than I had intended.)

I drive in a LOT of snow, and not just "metro" snow; mountain passes, ski areas, and desolate and rural roads. 2WD + all seasons is  :facepalm:  in such conditions; pretty much no one does it.

But snow wasn't my point, it was his.

1)  "Metro area" as it applies to cities in upstate NY includes a fair amount of what would be considered "rural".

2)  I assume you remember the photos and news coverage of NYC after they got 18" of snow dropped on them the winter before last?  Downtown here got hit with twice that in the same period of time during the first week of December.  For the first 6 days of December, we saw just shy of 4 feet come down.  Unlike NYC, the city didn't shut down.  People went about their day as normal.

3)  You drive through mountain passes and to ski resorts, and therefore through a lot of snow, for recreation a few times a month.  I have to drive through a lot of snow to perform daily tasks like going to work or the grocery store.

4)  The worst part of the NY lake-effect snow belt covers thousands of square miles.  It's not like a mountain pass where the pass gets dumped on every year, but the town 20 miles away barely gets 6 feet of snow per year.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Tave

Lots of people drive 2WD+all seasons around mountain passes and ski areas. I crossed the continental divide ~100 times in my Aveo on trips to Winter Park 4 years ago.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 30, 2012, 01:42:42 PM
How does it help in braking + turning?

For braking, 4WD and to a lesser extent AWD locks the F & R axle automatically distributing brake force evenly preventing premature lockup or ABS kick-in.

For turning, even simpler; simply staying on trajectory by mitigated over/under steer.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on March 30, 2012, 03:12:11 PM
1)  "Metro area" as it applies to cities in upstate NY includes a fair amount of what would be considered "rural".

2)  I assume you remember the photos and news coverage of NYC after they got 18" of snow dropped on them the winter before last?  Downtown here got hit with twice that in the same period of time during the first week of December.  For the first 6 days of December, we saw just shy of 4 feet come down.  Unlike NYC, the city didn't shut down.  People went about their day as normal.

3)  You drive through mountain passes and to ski resorts, and therefore through a lot of snow, for recreation a few times a month.  I have to drive through a lot of snow to perform daily tasks like going to work or the grocery store.

4)  The worst part of the NY lake-effect snow belt covers thousands of square miles.  It's not like a mountain pass where the pass gets dumped on every year, but the town 20 miles away barely gets 6 feet of snow per year.

I drive lots of miles on plain ole road driving with snow/ice as well.

The amount of snow fall does not dictate road conditions. Lots of parts of Alaska get WAY more snow but owing to the uber perpetual cold the snow/ice pack becomes grippier than many would think (probably 1/2 - 2/3 the traction of wet road).

On many of those roads I drive, the state dictates traction devices on three levels: snow tires advised, snow tires + chains on trucks required, chains or 4/AWD required. If caught in violation you receive a citation. So, by definition, a number of times throughout the winter one can't go it (legally) with 2WD and all seasons.

If you can do it safely and proficiently in 2WD + all seasons, the snow requirements aren't much of anything by definition.

r0tor

Quote from: Tave on March 30, 2012, 04:22:43 PM
Lots of people drive 2WD+all seasons around mountain passes and ski areas. I crossed the continental divide ~100 times in my Aveo on trips to Winter Park 4 years ago.

I drove the rx8 in all kinds of blizzards and up to the ski slopes.. just because I got through it doesnt mean id even remotely consider going out in that shit ever again when i now have a jeep available.  There is a nihht and day difference
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

To which I'd add, I've had pretty much all combinations in snow save for 4WD/AWD + snow tires:

RWD + all seasons;
RWD + studded tires;
FWD + all seasons;
FWD + studded tires;
FWD + studless snow tires:
4WD + knobby off road tires;
4WD + all seasons;
AWD + all seasons.

r0tor

Quote from: sportyaccordy on March 30, 2012, 01:17:54 PM
Thats def a part of it, as well as the Jeep's higher pressure on the contact patch. I bet the Jeep + RX8 have the same tire width

Some cars are just skittish... my buddy's mom refuses to drive her S2000 in the rain, the tail loves to step out even on new tires

Jeep has 295s I think... My snow tires on the 8 were 215s

Cookie Monster

Quote from: r0tor on March 30, 2012, 07:43:28 PM
Jeep has 295s I think... My snow tires on the 8 were 215s
295's on a JEEP?!?! :mask:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

68_427

Quote from: thecarnut on March 30, 2012, 07:53:50 PM
295's on a JEEP?!?! :mask:

Full size SUVs and trucks usually have at least 265s all around.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

Actually yea I think they are 265s

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on March 30, 2012, 06:42:50 PM
For braking, 4WD and to a lesser extent AWD locks the F & R axle automatically distributing brake force evenly preventing premature lockup or ABS kick-in.

For turning, even simpler; simply staying on trajectory by mitigated over/under steer.
I'm not buying the first one, especially in a slushbox w/open diffs... engine braking is nil and even if it wasn't it would only act on the wheels with the least grip. Plus many modern cars have electronic brake distribution (maybe all now)

And a car's response is tied to way more than the drive wheels. Something like a Peugeot 205 GTi would be way more prone to snap oversteer in the snow than something like a Crown Vic despite it being FWD

Driving style/skills + tires + suspension response + transmission >>>>>>>>>>>>> drive wheels
Quote from: GoCougs on March 30, 2012, 07:20:44 PM
To which I'd add, I've had pretty much all combinations in snow save for 4WD/AWD + snow tires:

RWD + all seasons;
RWD + studded tires;
FWD + all seasons;
FWD + studded tires;
FWD + studless snow tires:
4WD + knobby off road tires;
4WD + all seasons;
AWD + all seasons.
Not for nothing you are also the same dude who said a car goes from being worthless to worth checking out if a magazine can get it into the 14s

Even if you have experience your opinions on matters are often dubious + extreme

Raza

Quote from: Tave on March 30, 2012, 04:22:43 PM

It's a wonder you're still alive.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.