England: Miata vs Mustang

Started by Rich, April 08, 2012, 01:25:36 PM

Which one would you drive in England for 2 years?

2000 Mazda Miata 5M
8 (33.3%)
2011 Mustang GT 6M
16 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 24

sportyaccordy

I am honestly shocked that the Mustang got so many votes

Too big for British roads
Too thirsty for British gas taxes
Too American for British sensibilities

And needing a whip to get one's beak whet :facepalm:

OP will regret bringing the Mustang within his first month. Bring the right car for the job.

ChrisV

Brits love yank cars, too, he said he'd be buying gas on base at American prices, and the British roads accomodate Range Rovers and Rolls Royces and large trucks/busses too. yeah, they're more fun in smaller cars, but they can indeed accomodate a Mustang.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

SVT666

Surpringly, I voted Miata.  However, now that I think about it more, having a Vert in a place that rains so much may not make the most sense.  Oh well.  Mustang is definitely too bug for driving in the city in England.  All other roads are fine, it's just in the old parts of the towns that are hundreds of years old.

ChrisV

I have to say, the main problem will be learning where you are on the road, regardless of size of car you're in. Mentally there are challenges to moving to the opposite side of the road, especially with cars not made for that side of the road.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

Rich

Quote from: ChrisV on April 25, 2012, 09:50:17 AM
I have to say, the main problem will be learning where you are on the road, regardless of size of car you're in. Mentally there are challenges to moving to the opposite side of the road, especially with cars not made for that side of the road.

I drove in Japan for 2 years :praise:

I'll be selling the Mustang..

...Mike was right... I could be earning interest on that money instead of having a car sitting around that my Dad would need to care for and I'd have to insure/register.

I don't know when I'll be coming back to the US anyway.  And since I'll be living off base, I can pick up a second car (hot hatch?) to use in the winter/rainy spring.

Something else that's intangible is that I'll get to drive around Europe in a car I drove around the US.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

SVT666

What will you be listing the Mustang for?

Raza

Fucking sell both and get something over there.  Exporting a Miata to a country that has Miatas is stupid enough as is, but then when you add on the fact that they drive on the opposite side and their cars are RHD, it's even fucking dumber. 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

I think you're holding back.  Why don't you tell him how you really feel?

Rich

Quote from: SVT666 on April 25, 2012, 11:04:32 AM
I think you're holding back.  Why don't you tell him how you really feel?

:lol:

What Raza doesn't understand is that there is a lot less hassle involved in shipping a Miata than buying a car there.

With shipping, I don't have to pay road tax or the sales tax.  And then I don't have to take any depreciation hit when I sell the car when I leave England... just ship my baby back.

Rich

Quote from: SVT666 on April 25, 2012, 10:06:39 AM
What will you be listing the Mustang for?

Edmunds lists the private sale value at 28.5K.  I'm going to start listing at 33-35K and about June or so drop it down to 28-30K.  I'd like to hang onto it as long as can since I'll have to ship the Miata about 1 June, and I won't leave until late July.

SVT666

You can buy a new one for that price.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on April 25, 2012, 11:24:46 AM
You can buy a new one for that price.

A new V6 maybe.  I just priced one out at 33K.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 25, 2012, 11:16:27 AM
:lol:

What Raza doesn't understand is that there is a lot less hassle involved in shipping a Miata than buying a car there.

With shipping, I don't have to pay road tax or the sales tax.  And then I don't have to take any depreciation hit when I sell the car when I leave England... just ship my baby back.

No, I considered that.  Selling the Mustang and keeping the Miata is less dumb than what you were planning to do, but still, selling both and sampling one of the cars that they don't sell here that's towards the end of its depreciation cycle is a much better plan.  Road tax and the ?500 you're going to lose in depreciation is nothing compared to experiencing something you may never get another chance to experience.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27191.msg1709487#msg1709487 date=1335374922
A new V6 maybe.  I just priced one out at 33K.

That has to be every option, plus convertible.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 25, 2012, 11:36:49 AM
That has to be every option, plus convertible.

It was highly optioned, but not loaded, and a coupe.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

$39,880 for the exact Mustang I would want, and I bet I could get $3000 knocked off that.  So for just under $37,000, I could get a brand new Mustang exactly the way I want it.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Raza  on April 25, 2012, 11:43:03 AM
It was highly optioned, but not loaded, and a coupe.

V6 with the performance package is $25K, $26.6K with Recaro seats. I wouldn't want anything else. You can get a GT for $31K.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on April 25, 2012, 11:52:30 AM
$39,880 for the exact Mustang I would want, and I bet I could get $3000 knocked off that.  So for just under $37,000, I could get a brand new Mustang exactly the way I want it.
I think his has some options, too, and getting a year old car for 28-30k isn't too bad...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rich

Quote from: thecarnut on April 25, 2012, 03:48:51 PM
I think his has some options, too, and getting a year old car for 28-30k isn't too bad...

I have a feeling I'll have to go lower than 28K, but we'll see.  This will be my first time ever really selling a car.

nickdrinkwater

If I moved the US I'd drive an American car just for the experience

Rich

What are some uniquely British/European cars that I should be looking at?

I've looked at autotrader for cars 3K pounds or less with a manual... a lot of econoboxes... and a lot of RX-8s.  

Found this: ?2,9942005 Seat Leon 1.8 20V 225 R Cupra 5dr Hatchback..  looks pretty cool

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201217467138491/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/price-to/3000/transmission/manual/page/35/radius/40/postcode/cb17qq?logcode=p

Reading from some other military that have PCS'd there... they really liked bringing the pony/muscle cars over there.  Just not sure if I want to try and navigate the small streets with the Mustang.  Looks like I'll only be able to pull down about 25K for the Mustang, which is horrid.  I'd rather hang onto it at that price.

If I brought the mustang I could pick up a cheap 'vert for the summers... if I bring the Miata, I'd like to pick up a cheap 4Dr sedan or 2Dr 4 seat coupe.  

CJ

nickdrinkwater

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 02, 2012, 02:58:41 PM
What are some uniquely British/European cars that I should be looking at?

I've looked at autotrader for cars 3K pounds or less with a manual... a lot of econoboxes... and a lot of RX-8s. 

Found this: ?2,9942005 Seat Leon 1.8 20V 225 R Cupra 5dr Hatchback..  looks pretty cool

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201217467138491/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/fuel-type/petrol/price-to/3000/transmission/manual/page/35/radius/40/postcode/cb17qq?logcode=p

Reading from some other military that have PCS'd there... they really liked bringing the pony/muscle cars over there.  Just not sure if I want to try and navigate the small streets with the Mustang.  Looks like I'll only be able to pull down about 25K for the Mustang, which is horrid.  I'd rather hang onto it at that price.

If I brought the mustang I could pick up a cheap 'vert for the summers... if I bring the Miata, I'd like to pick up a cheap 4Dr sedan or 2Dr 4 seat coupe. 

Our roads aren't THAT small!  It's only the really old towns/Cities that have the tight streets and even then normally only right in the centre.  Your Mustang will be fine.  I doubt it's much bigger than very popular cars like Vectras, Insignias, 5 Series Bimmers etc. 

Lots of convertibles to choose from so no problem there but you will struggle to find a 4-door sedan in anything smaller than a 5 Series BM.  Most cars here are hatchbacks or wagons.   Same with 2 door coupes, you're looking at 3 Series, Alfa GT and above unless you want a big search.

MG TF -- a small roadster, dirt cheap albeit bit more of a risky buy
Audi cabriolet/A4 cabriolet -- eg http://pistonheads.com/sales/3613827.htm -- you probably know these from the states
BMW Z3 -- http://pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?s=136

If you're feeling really brave you can have a Mazda RX-8 for under 3k.

The Cupras are good cars but I'd be wary about buying "the cheapest in the country" and no mention of full service history in that ad.  But you're on the right track.  They're like a cut-price Golf GTi really.

If you can give us an idea of what size you are looking for I can give you some more suggestions.

In terms of buying advice, the forum at www.pistonheads.com/gassing is probably the biggest chat board so you always get someone knowledge to help even despite a few idiots.  I'd recommend looking on there as there are countless posts of people looking for what you are.  they also have ads at www.pistonheads.com/sales/

Depending on what your price range is there are checks to make on history, previous damage etc, but not worth worrying about until nearer the time.

Rich

Thanks.. and if I bought a car there I don't want to get one I could buy in the US.. so Audis, BMWs, VWs are out for the most part (I know we didn't get some models)

The MG TF looks ungainly, but that's where I'm kinda going with this.  Distinctly euro stuff that we don't get in the US, but since they didn't come here, I don't know what'd good or bad.

Honestly, I'd love an E30 3 series to go with the Miata... but I know they sold them in the US too...

a Mini would be fun, too. But then I'd have 2 "gay" cars... and neither one could carry much :lol:

After I made the post above I was thinking about autoX and track days.. and I'm all set for that w/ the Miata since I have summer/winter tires and wheels.  I'd have to do the same for the Mustang which would be $$$$.  So I've basically talked myself out of the Mustang again :lol:

I can't WAIT to get on track at brands hatch, silverstone, rockingham, donnington park, etc... and they are all within 4 hrs drive!!!!

CALL_911

Get something French or Italian. An Alfa would be cool.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Secret Chimp

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 02, 2012, 04:10:37 PM
Thanks.. and if I bought a car there I don't want to get one I could buy in the US.. so Audis, BMWs, VWs are out for the most part (I know we didn't get some models)

The MG TF looks ungainly, but that's where I'm kinda going with this.  Distinctly euro stuff that we don't get in the US, but since they didn't come here, I don't know what'd good or bad.

Honestly, I'd love an E30 3 series to go with the Miata... but I know they sold them in the US too...

a Mini would be fun, too. But then I'd have 2 "gay" cars... and neither one could carry much :lol:

After I made the post above I was thinking about autoX and track days.. and I'm all set for that w/ the Miata since I have summer/winter tires and wheels.  I'd have to do the same for the Mustang which would be $$$$.  So I've basically talked myself out of the Mustang again :lol:

I can't WAIT to get on track at brands hatch, silverstone, rockingham, donnington park, etc... and they are all within 4 hrs drive!!!!

E30 waggin

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 93JC on April 08, 2012, 05:52:05 PM
Leave both cars at home, buy a RHD car in the UK.

Take Miata if you want to actually drive it. Take Mustang and you might sell at the end and make a profit.

But definitely definitely be careful. You can't see to pass, so DON'T. and definitely definitely pickup a RHD car.
Will