G class facelift

Started by Galaxy, April 11, 2012, 05:33:14 AM

Xer0

That G270 looks aweasome.  I really like those retro late 80's/early 90's Merc interiors.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Galaxy on April 12, 2012, 01:41:57 PM
I wonder if quirky features like the 24V NATO power socket survived the face lift, even if they are useless for civilian life. H&H! H&H! Imagine the awesomeness of finding an M1A1 with a dead battery and giving him him a jolt with your G 65.  :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Xer0 on April 12, 2012, 01:51:45 PM
That G270 looks aweasome.  I really like those retro late 80's/early 90's Merc interiors.
Lol thats not retro, it just is

But I agree. The craftsmanship + quality was top notch. I still remember the smell of new W126 leather.

MaxPower

QuoteI don't understand the point of the LED strips.
Keeping up with the Jones'. They were inevitable, the only question was how much the LEDs would ruin the styling.

Lebowski

TurboDan

If I had $105K to burn, I wouldn't mind one of these things. It is probably better off road than a Range Rover, not nearly as tacky and cartoonish-looking as a civilian Hummer (granted, they don't make those anymore) and still classy at the same time. Would prefer a diesel, and the AMG is just silly, but the overall concept of selling the G-Class still makes sense, at least to me.

There's a segment of people with a lot of money who legitimately do want an off-road capable vehicle like this. As someone else mentioned, I've seen most of the G-Classes in my life in South Florida.

Rich

I'd like to bring the G65 to the Saturday night drags.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

cawimmer430

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 12, 2012, 06:39:01 PM
I'd like to bring the G65 to the Saturday night drags.

That could be your new car for the UK! :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SVT_Power

I have to wonder what the profit margin on these G-wagens is like. It's gotta be ridiculous.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Galaxy

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 13, 2012, 10:39:59 AM
I have to wonder what the profit margin on these G-wagens is like. It's gotta be ridiculous.

That is why we have a "win" button on German keyboards.  :lol:

Canada reportedly paid $ (U$ ?) 130.000 per G class, and that included ~ $80.000 in armor.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Raza  on April 11, 2012, 09:52:34 AM
I don't understand the point of the LED strips.

DRL, copying the Audis.  I like them- they're bright in the daytime and look cool.
Will

Rupert

All the sort of classic 3rd world SUVs that are still made are awesome in basic trim. Land Cruiser, Defender (or did they screw that one up?), G wagon, and, er I guess that's it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

TurboDan

Quote from: Rupert on April 15, 2012, 03:45:48 PM
All the sort of classic 3rd world SUVs that are still made are awesome in basic trim. Land Cruiser, Defender (or did they screw that one up?), G wagon, and, er I guess that's it.

The current Defender has been around since 1990. The new one is supposed to come out in 2015, IIRC. But they may keep producing the old one, anyway, in non-EU/US markets where they don't have the enviro and pedestrian regs.

Also, I read recently that LR is going to be producing some lower-cost models to expand the brand overall. I think they're aiming to have "Range Rover" as the upper brand and "Land Rover" as the lower, more off-road oriented brand. The next Defender isn't going to be a Range Rover-ish luxury vehicle, from what I've read. Its competitors will be the Wrangler and (in non-US markets) the Toyota Hilux.

At the end of the day, they MUST improve reliability if they want to sell these things in numbers. I only bought the LR2 because the guts are from Volvo. If it was a "pure" LR, I would've been hesitant.

Rupert

Well, I'd love a Defender 110.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Galaxy

Quote from: TurboDan on April 15, 2012, 04:00:31 PM
I only bought the LR2 because the guts are from Volvo. If it was a "pure" LR, I would've been hesitant.

Some of Defenders were also un-pure.

It is the M52 engine from the 328, 528, 728.

SVT666

I can't believe anyone pays that much money for it.

SVT_Power

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 12, 2012, 01:26:29 PM
It's been upgraded now. It's now called the G280 CDI Pur (Pur = Pure). 3.0 diesel with 183-hp. A/C is standard.

http://www.4wheelfun.de/fahrberichte/mercedes-g-280-cdi-edition-30-pur-erste-fahrt-im-mercedes-g-klasse-sondermodell-1582910.html

This is ridiculous. I was wondering what the price of a car that pretty much must cost Mercedes cost + labor to build (ie. whatever investment they've put into the thing must either be recouped by now or it's way too late to worry about it anyway).

That Pur edition G-wagen is 59,381 Euro. That's about $77,000. That's more expensive than a CLS550, except you're getting a car that's basically the same thing as the model that debuted more than 20 years ago. :wtf:
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

Lebowski

Low volume models are not cheap to produce.

Plus, we (thankfully) don't live in a cost plus world.  It's a niche market and they'll charge what its niche buyer is willing to pay.

SVT_Power

Quote from: Lebowski on April 16, 2012, 05:46:43 PM
Low volume models are not cheap to produce.

Plus, we (thankfully) don't live in a cost plus world.  It's a niche market and they'll charge what its niche buyer is willing to pay.

Umm you do realize we're talking about a car that looks like this on the inside right?

Eye of the Tiger

Looks like a widebody Suzuki Samurai.. inside and out.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

AutobahnSHO

Will

AltinD

Why are you guys barking so much about the LED strips on the fender? The G has got those since the 2011 model .... I guess gthe car is really thaat rare by your part of the woods  :tounge:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Galaxy

Quote from: AltinD on April 20, 2012, 03:23:03 PM
Why are you guys barking so much about the LED strips on the fender? The G has got those since the 2011 model .... I guess gthe car is really thaat rare by your part of the woods  :tounge:

No it did not. Only the Brabus models do.

Laconian

I wouldn't be surprised if Dubai only has Brabus everything. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AltinD

Quote from: Galaxy on April 20, 2012, 03:25:39 PM
No it did not. Only the Brabus models do.

Oh really? And what are those with LED DRL on the bumber I have been seeing around each day for long time? Though they are all G55 AMG, so maybe it was exclusive to them, and now it became standart on the entire range.

Lebowski

Quote from: SVT_Power on April 16, 2012, 06:29:06 PM
Umm you do realize we're talking about a car that looks like this on the inside right?

Yes.

Galaxy

Quote from: AltinD on April 21, 2012, 12:34:32 PM
Oh really? And what are those with LED DRL on the bumber I have been seeing around each day for long time? Though they are all G55 AMG, so maybe it was exclusive to them, and now it became standart on the entire range.

This is a 2008-2012 G 55 AMG as it comes from the factory...

...maybe there is a special  Arab edition where the number of LEDs show your line of succession for heir to the throne.  :lol:

Perhaps most G classes in Dubai are Brabus?

AltinD

Nope, G55 AMG with LED strip on the front bumber where the fog lights are. And there are really so many of them around, and hardly any non-AMG G around

Here's one:

cawimmer430

Quote from: AltinD on April 22, 2012, 02:01:43 PM
Nope, G55 AMG with LED strip on the front bumber where the fog lights are. And there are really so many of them around, and hardly any non-AMG G around

Here's one:

Looks like it ran out of gas in the desert. :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on April 22, 2012, 04:06:41 PM
Looks like it ran out of gas in the desert. :lol:
Nah, the road is just a few hundreds meters away :lol:

BTW, it is also possible that someone (MB, AMG, or someone else) offered a reflector-to-LED conversion kit and it became popular with the G55 owners.