Next gen Mustang getting more modern look

Started by Mustangfan2003, April 16, 2012, 02:41:21 PM

SVT666

Quote from: TurboDan on May 05, 2012, 12:03:14 AM
Retro is over. Go modern. I applaud Ford for this. No young people are going to buy a Mustang that looks like it should come with an 8-track player in the dash. Ford is absolutely RIGHT with this.

But for the love of God, SIZE IT DOWN! I'd actually consider buying one of these if it wasn't a goddamn land yacht with a big engine.
:rolleyes:

sportyaccordy

Retro is over. Go modern. I applaud Ford for this. No young people are going to buy a Mustang that looks like it should come with an 8-track player in the dash. Ford is absolutely RIGHT with this.

But for the love of God, SIZE IT DOWN! I'd actually consider buying one of these if it wasn't a goddamn land yacht with a big engine.
No car can ever be too big. If you suggest otherwise you deserve to be ridiculed....

No but seriously, there is no reason the Mustang should be so big. Def needs to shrink down and go modern next go round. They can make it look aggressive w/o going retro. Actually they don't even have to make it look aggressive. I wouldn't exactly call the Foxbodies aggressive.

ChrisV

The current Mustang is barely bigger than the original. It's a bit heavier, but that's because it's more refined, stronger and stiffer. It goes faster, gets better fuel mileage, is safer and pollutes less, while having almost identical physical footprint to the originals.

The 1969 BOSS 302 was the same size, weighs almost the same, yet in every measurable way except investment optential performs worse. That's why the Mustang is sized the way it is.

I find my Mustang to be sized perfectly, and I have no problem driving it every day.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

LonghornTX

Quote from: ChrisV on May 08, 2012, 12:08:34 PM
The current Mustang is barely bigger than the original. It's a bit heavier, but that's because it's more refined, stronger and stiffer. It goes faster, gets better fuel mileage, is safer and pollutes less, while having almost identical physical footprint to the originals.

The 1969 BOSS 302 was the same size, weighs almost the same, yet in every measurable way except investment optential performs worse. That's why the Mustang is sized the way it is.

I find my Mustang to be sized perfectly, and I have no problem driving it every day.
+1
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: ChrisV on May 08, 2012, 12:08:34 PM

Foxbodies were much smaller. The Vanilla Ice Mustang was shorter by damn near a foot. The M3 is shorter by about 8 inches w/a big V8 and more interior room. The Mustang is a good car but it def needs a modern update. Its packaging is retro in a bad way.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 13, 2012, 04:52:14 AM
Foxbodies were much smaller. The Vanilla Ice Mustang was shorter by damn near a foot. The M3 is shorter by about 8 inches w/a big V8 and more interior room. The Mustang is a good car but it def needs a modern update. Its packaging is retro in a bad way.

Foxbodies were also flimsy, poorly-built pieces of junk.  And the new ones have slightly more passenger volume plus >50% more trunk space than the old Fox coupes.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Problem with "retro" is stagnation; the Mustang is now in its 8th model year. The Camaro is "retro" and selling as well or better (and selling better than the Mustang) 3 years after introduction.

Competition for younger buyers is FAR greater than it was in 2005 (when the current Mustang debuted). Remember, in recent times the Mustang has had some of its worst sales in its history despite being by far and away the best Mustang ever and overall a great car.

IMO sales will more or less be the same (75,000/year) no matter what Ford does. The heyday of 150,000+/year is likely long gone.

But land yacht? I'm not really seeing it, relatively to the two recent cars I own(ed), and they're anything but land yachts:

Mustang: 188"
Infiniti G37 sedan: 187"
7th gen Honda Accord sedan: 189"

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MX793 on May 13, 2012, 07:57:47 AM
Foxbodies were also flimsy, poorly-built pieces of junk.  And the new ones have slightly more passenger volume plus >50% more trunk space than the old Fox coupes.
The Fox Body Stang easily the worse car I've ever owned. I still have a sour taste in my mouth for Fords because of that car........
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on May 13, 2012, 08:55:44 AM
Problem with "retro" is stagnation; the Mustang is now in its 8th model year. The Camaro is "retro" and selling as well or better (and selling better than the Mustang) 3 years after introduction.

Competition for younger buyers is FAR greater than it was in 2005 (when the current Mustang debuted). Remember, in recent times the Mustang has had some of its worst sales in its history despite being by far and away the best Mustang ever and overall a great car.

IMO sales will more or less be the same (75,000/year) no matter what Ford does. The heyday of 150,000+/year is likely long gone.

But land yacht? I'm not really seeing it, relatively to the two recent cars I own(ed), and they're anything but land yachts:

Mustang: 188"
Infiniti G37 sedan: 187"
7th gen Honda Accord sedan: 189"

There was pent-up demand for Camaro, which I think is part of the reason for its recent success. A lot of people also really liked the styling and it was also featured pretty prominently in recent movies/media. The true test of your theory will be in May and beyond, when the restyled, but still retro, 2013 model is available for mass consumption.

LonghornTX

I wouldn't call them poorly built at all, but like all cars from that era, they were much less stiff than their counterparts today.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on May 13, 2012, 09:20:24 AM
The Fox Body Stang easily the worse car I've ever owned. I still have a sour taste in my mouth for Fords because of that car........
Which one did you own? That makes a big difference when talking about Fox bodies. But, evidently many people disagree with you, considering their value in the used market. I love mine. It is simple, relatively light, and with subframe connectors (~$300 installed), plenty stiff. It also sounds great, is easy to drive fast, and gets positive comments and thumbs up on a weekly basis.

GoCougs

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 13, 2012, 12:03:05 PM
There was pent-up demand for Camaro, which I think is part of the reason for its recent success. A lot of people also really liked the styling and it was also featured pretty prominently in recent movies/media. The true test of your theory will be in May and beyond, when the restyled, but still retro, 2013 model is available for mass consumption.

The "pent up demand" was met by fall of '09 and since April of 2009 the Camaro has outsold the Mustang.

The MY2013 Mustang will still be the S197 (i.e., unchanged). The all-new Mustang is set for MY2014.

GoCougs

FWIW I always like the Fox body Mustang; much more than the current year Camaro. Would have absolutely loved a late gen LX 5.0.

sportyaccordy

I am not suggesting they completely emulate the Fox bodies. Just pointing out that Mustangs have not always been bigger than Camrys

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on May 13, 2012, 12:16:26 PM
The "pent up demand" was met by fall of '09 and since April of 2009 the Camaro has outsold the Mustang.

The MY2013 Mustang will still be the S197 (i.e., unchanged). The all-new Mustang is set for MY2014.
I am quite aware of Mustang models, so the clarification is unnecessary. BTW, it is clearly debatable that Camaro is not still operating its sales performance off of pent-up demand, given the fact that Mustang is a subjectively better car in most respects (across all models).

Northlands

Current Mustang is only a hair wider than a Camry. I think it's still roughly an inch or two shorter.

I'm still wondering why people want to scale down muscle cars? People still buy them at their current sizes. If anything, maybe there's an opportunity for a sporty car that's a bit smaller to sell between the Focus and the Mustang.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

LonghornTX

Quote from: Northlands on May 13, 2012, 01:09:53 PM
Current Mustang is only a hair wider than a Camry. I think it's still roughly an inch or two shorter.

I'm still wondering why people want to scale down muscle cars? People still buy them at their current sizes. If anything, maybe there's an opportunity for a sporty car that's a bit smaller to sell between the Focus and the Mustang.
Sounds like a Probe GT haha

LonghornTX

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 13, 2012, 01:13:03 PM
Which were actually pretty fun to drive in their later years, FWIW

GoCougs

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 13, 2012, 01:05:49 PM
I am quite aware of Mustang models, so the clarification is unnecessary. BTW, it is clearly debatable that Camaro is not still operating its sales performance off of pent-up demand, given the fact that Mustang is a subjectively better car in most respects (across all models).

Debatable three years later? Nah, the Camaro sells better than the Mustang today for the same reason it sold better in 2009; the market thinks it's the better car (I agree of course), especially interesting considering the Camaro is the bit more expensive car (~10% more).

Northlands

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 13, 2012, 01:13:03 PM

:lol: Pretty much. I'm trying to imagine something a little smaller than a Stang with either an eco-boost 3.5 in it or the 3.7 V6. Have the 2.7 eco-boost as an entry level motor.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

LonghornTX

Quote from: GoCougs on May 13, 2012, 01:23:15 PM
Debatable three years later? Nah, the Camaro sells better than the Mustang today for the same reason it sold better in 2009; the market thinks it's the better car (I agree of course), especially interesting considering the Camaro is the bit more expensive car (~10% more).

Ok, dude that doesn't even know the models very well (oh yea, they made more substantial styling changes to the Mustang in 2011 than they did for the 2013 model. WRONG!). Me thinks the marketplace has gone for so long without a Camaro, or a decent one at that, that it is making up for lost ground. That opinion is only further backed up the amount of comparisons that portray the Mustang as the better car (V6 or V8).

GoCougs

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 13, 2012, 01:35:03 PM
Ok, dude that doesn't even know the models very well (oh yea, they made more substantial styling changes to the Mustang in 2011 than they did for the 2013 model. WRONG!). Me thinks the marketplace has gone for so long without a Camaro, or a decent one at that, that it is making up for lost ground. That opinion is only further backed up the amount of comparisons that portray the Mustang as the better car (V6 or V8).

You Mustangists are so insecure it's mind boggling. Also, practical nullification of the "pent up demand" hypothesis is the people who bought Camaros in the '80s and '90s by and large ain't the same people buying the Camaro today. Outside the demographic obviousness the premise is ridiculous - "pent up demand" is still demand, and for three years straight the market (pent up) demands more Camaros even despite the price premium - and to me it's obvious why.

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 13, 2012, 12:56:31 PM
I am not suggesting they completely emulate the Fox bodies. Just pointing out that Mustangs have not always been bigger than Camrys

The current car isn't bigger than a late model Camry.  It's the same size as a Camry from 20 years ago.  And the Fox body was larger both in length and width than the Camries of its day (V10 and V20 generations of the 1980s).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

GoCougs

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on May 13, 2012, 10:30:13 PM
I've never seen anything like it! Defense till the end.

I've seen it before. In this forum. And it had/has to do with a Yaris.  :lol:

ChrisV

At any rate, anyone calling the Mustang a land yacht has no clue what a land yacht actually is. Even my 7 series is not a land yacht, and it's pretty big, and huge compared to my Mustang. Land yachts are more like my old Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham or my old '65 Lincoln Continental. ;)

And yes, my Mustang is smaller than a modern Accord sedan or Camry sedan. I've parked next to them here at work, and have a point of reference. Yes, it feels larger than my MINI or a Miata, but it doesn't feel huge to drive, unless your ONLY point of reference is a MINI or Miata... lol! For me, the Mustang is that just right middle ground between being too big to fit anywhere and too small to fit anything IN. Doesn't hurt that it looks good, too, especially now.

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

I hope the next mustang comes with the ecoboost v6, and awd.

Raza

Quote from: 565 on May 14, 2012, 01:44:24 PM
I hope the next mustang comes with the ecoboost v6, and awd.

Automatic only, too!  And self park!
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: MX793 on May 13, 2012, 04:29:51 PM
The current car isn't bigger than a late model Camry.  It's the same size as a Camry from 20 years ago.  And the Fox body was larger both in length and width than the Camries of its day (V10 and V20 generations of the 1980s).

Looks like a 2008 Mustang and 2009 Camry are pretty close to the same size.

Mustang:   numbers are rounded and weight is an average of models

Year               Length                  Width             Wheelbase               Weight

65                    182                       68                   108                       2500
67                    184                       71                   108                       2600
73                    194                       74                   109                       3500
74                    175                       70                     96                       2700
79                    179                       69                    100                      2450
94                    182                                             101                       3100
02                    183                       73                   101                       3200
08                    188                       74                   107                       3400

92 Camry           187                       69                  103                        3000   
09 Camry           189                      72                    109                       3300