BRZ gets slammed by EVO and comes in last in comparo...

Started by 565, April 21, 2012, 07:41:56 AM

Oh noes... the power whores might actually be right on this forum about the BRZ... That's disappointing.  Though we did know that the Subaru was going to be the boring understeerer of the two cars.  Hopefully the FRS is still good.  Also is seems like the chassis is begging for more power, so hopefully the STI subie and the hot version of the Scion can deliver.

MX793

I'm curious if they'd fitted this car with a similarly powerful version of Subaru's 2.5L, if the added low-to-mid range punch would be enough to change the power story.  200hp in a car this size and weight should be plenty to be fun, but not when all of that power is in the last 2000 RPMs.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

I wonder why they went with a less aggressive suspension tune for the Subaru.  Not to be a badge snob, but there's no fucking way I'm ever buying a Scion, so if the BRZ isn't as fun, then I'm not buying one. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Haven't read it yet, but the good news is that this sort of review will probably cause Subaru to get to work on that turbo...

And before some Honda fanboi jumps on my nuts, unless you drive at elevation in and near the mountains you probably won't understand why I'd want the option of a turbo rather than another high-strug NA fourbanger.  On the other hand, a turbo-four... now that's just about right.  Awesome midrange, and you can climb hills in a 1:1 gear. :praise:

[Post-read:] The thing is, it appears that they nailed every other aspect of the car; steering, brakes, chassis, ride; but minus the power it leaves much to be desired.  It's basically nearly-perfect, just not quite there yet.

Quote from: Raza  on April 21, 2012, 09:07:27 AM
I wonder why they went with a less aggressive suspension tune for the Subaru.

Because it's Subaru, and thus they believe every car should handle like it's got lunch trays under the front tires.

ifcar

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27269.msg1707519#msg1707519 date=1335020847
I wonder why they went with a less aggressive suspension tune for the Subaru.  Not to be a badge snob, but there's no fucking way I'm ever buying a Scion, so if the BRZ isn't as fun, then I'm not buying one.  

I think that's pretty much the definition of being a badge snob: rejecting a car based only on its badge.

Here's hoping that the manual transmission transforms the car. I'm surprised they even offer it with an automatic; it's not the sort of vehicle that works well either as a performance car or a casual cruiser.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: ifcar on April 21, 2012, 09:58:57 AM
I think that's pretty much the definition of being a badge snob: rejecting a car based only on its badge.

Here's hoping that the manual transmission transforms the car. I'm surprised they even offer it with an automatic; it's not the sort of vehicle that works well either as a performance car or a casual cruiser.

If I have to be labeled a badge snob to call the Scion brand embarassing, then so be it.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 21, 2012, 12:32:35 PM
If I have to be labeled a badge snob to call the Scion brand embarassing, then so be it.
LOL

Enjoy your understeering, not-as-good BRZ instead of buying the cheaper, better handling Scion.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Yes, Scion is a stupid brand. The Jonas Brothers have more history & heritage than Scion.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

TurboDan

Another issue is that the interior of the Scion version looks as cheap as most of the Toyota lineup does. As good as a car is on-road, if it's your daily driver you still have to live with it day-in, day-out.

Like most Subies, the BRZ's interior is spartan, but adequate.

Quote from: TurboDan on April 21, 2012, 12:56:50 PM
Another issue is that the interior of the Scion version looks as cheap as most of the Toyota lineup does. As good as a car is on-road, if it's your daily driver you still have to live with it day-in, day-out.

Like most Subies, the BRZ's interior is spartan, but adequate.

Honestly the only difference I could tell between the two interior was the black plastic across the dash on the Scion vs the silver plastic across the dash on the Subaru...

r0tor

On the bright side, subaru over the years has shown they are not afraid to make updates to models that are only 1 year old...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

S204STi

Quote from: r0tor on April 21, 2012, 01:05:58 PM
On the bright side, subaru over the years has shown they are not afraid to make updates to models that are only 1 year old...

Exactly.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: thecarnut on April 21, 2012, 12:42:23 PM
LOL

Enjoy your understeering, not-as-good BRZ instead of buying the cheaper, better handling Scion.

Understeer is fine. Im not that good of a driver anyway.

cawimmer430

How could the BRZ come in last? It has such a high quality interior!!!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Vinsanity

Quote from: thecarnut on April 21, 2012, 12:42:23 PM
LOL

:hesaid:

Funny how the wrong badge is enough to turn away so-called purists/enthusiasts from what is supposed to be God's gift on 4 wheels to them.

cawimmer430

The guy who drives the tuned BMW 120d in one of my last shoots is an ardent RWD-fan. He hates FWD with a passion. He drove a buddys Renault Megane 265 Trophy and actually liked it claiming that it "almost drives like a RWD car".

To me the Renault is easily the best-looking machine here.  :mrcool:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

In other news, it is refreshing to read an article in a car magazine that isn't written by a complete fanboi/idiot.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 21, 2012, 01:52:58 PM
In other news, it is refreshing to read an article in a car magazine that isn't written by a complete fanboi/idiot.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 21, 2012, 01:48:50 PM

Funny how the wrong badge is enough to turn away so-called purists/enthusiasts from what is supposed to be God's gift on 4 wheels to them.
Any reason is good enough when you don't like the car

Onslaught

Scion is just Toyota. Toyota has H&H. What's the big deal?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 21, 2012, 01:52:58 PM
Word!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on April 21, 2012, 09:07:27 AM
I wonder why they went with a less aggressive suspension tune for the Subaru.  Not to be a badge snob, but there's no fucking way I'm ever buying a Scion, so if the BRZ isn't as fun, then I'm not buying one. 

I',m goping to go out on a limb and suggest that since the Subaru nuts that are already out there are more interested in gravel than tarmac, a more compliant suspension set up made sense.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

I don't see what the problem is, since the review stated that the Subaru rode very firmly, and was neutral in turns. If Skion just makes it more oversteery, that is not necessarily a good thing.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on April 21, 2012, 03:13:58 PM
Scion is just Toyota. Toyota has H&H. What's the big deal?
I am flabbergasted. Someone literally makes an awesome car, people refuse to buy it because of the brand. The brand? What are we, real housewives? I think its just an excuse.

And this is the same Toyota that made the Supra, MR-2, Celica, and AE86. I'm confused.

O and EVO took a huge hit in credibility when Chris Harris slammed the Miata. "Lacks the crisp turn in of say, a GT3 RS" No shit you Porsche flunkie toolbags

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 21, 2012, 05:13:56 PM
I don't see what the problem is, since the review stated that the Subaru rode very firmly, and was neutral in turns. If Skion just makes it more oversteery, that is not necessarily a good thing.

+1

I had an S2000. I know what too much oversteer too quickly can do.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 21, 2012, 05:31:29 PM
I am flabbergasted. Someone literally makes an awesome car, people refuse to buy it because of the brand. The brand? What are we, real housewives? I think its just an excuse.

And this is the same Toyota that made the Supra, MR-2, Celica, and AE86. I'm confused.

O and EVO took a huge hit in credibility when Chris Harris slammed the Miata. "Lacks the crisp turn in of say, a GT3 RS" No shit you Porsche flunkie toolbags

I have to second this one as well. NOT buying a car because its a Toyota is IMHO, just as bad as buying one solely because its a BMW or Porsche.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 21, 2012, 05:34:28 PM
+1

I had an S2000. I know what too much oversteer too quickly can do.

I forget... is that why you had an S2000 and don't have an S2000?

Raza

Quote from: ifcar on April 21, 2012, 09:58:57 AM

Yeah, that's why I said "not to be".  I know it's not right, but the idea of buying and driving a Scion makes me feel dirty.  I'm an adult, I want to drive a car made for adults, not one marketed to the sideways hat crowd. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 21, 2012, 04:53:43 PM
I',m goping to go out on a limb and suggest that since the Subaru nuts that are already out there are more interested in gravel than tarmac, a more compliant suspension set up made sense.

Yeah, but the gravel people also want AWD.  This isn't for Subaru nuts.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i