BRZ gets slammed by EVO and comes in last in comparo...

Started by 565, April 21, 2012, 07:41:56 AM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

sportyaccordy

Quote from: S204STi on April 26, 2012, 08:54:54 AM
This is my only quibble with the car.  (Yet that would somehow make me a hater and mean that I'm just looking for excuses not to like it, apparently.)
Complaining about this car's speed is silly. Its faster or as fast as much of its competition (Miata, GTI, Civic Si) and it offers a driving experience that is completely unique. More power would mean more weight or more cost, which are the two things they sought to avoid in making this. The aftermarket will fill in the gaps. The people who have actually driven the car love it in spite of its gross power deficit. Power complaints at this point are beating a dead horse.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on April 25, 2012, 10:23:07 PM
Looking at the 45-65 mph passing test, the FR-S is definitely a bottom feeder in roll-on (read:  Real world) acceleration.  3.3 seconds trails pretty much all direct competitors.  GTI does it in 3 flat.  Even the Lancer Ralliart, which has a worse power/weight ratio and has the added drivetrain losses of AWD is quicker in that test.

Looking at C&D's test of the BRZ is even more telling of the lack in powerband breadth.  0-60 in 6.3 but 5-60 in 8 flat.  That's one of the, if not the, worst spreads I've ever seen from a car that wasn't AWD.  V6 Mustang got 5.4/5.8.  The new 2.4L Civic Si sedan ran 6.1/6.4.  Even turbocharged cars, which are handicapped a bit in the 5-60 by turbo lag, tend to have tighter spreads.  GTI ran 6.3/7.2.  IIRC, the Mazdaspeed3 got 5.8/7.0.

Quote from: S204STi on April 26, 2012, 08:54:54 AM
This is my only quibble with the car.  (Yet that would somehow make me a hater and mean that I'm just looking for excuses not to like it, apparently.)

I say it again - people are expecting too much from, and otherwise put too much hope into, this little car. It's just a wee bit above a tC but not quite to the performance/cache level of a GTI or Civic Si. Not good, not bad, just is.

Raza

Quote from: 565 on April 26, 2012, 09:14:08 AM
Here is what the five axis kit looks like.

Awful, like most body kits.  The car looks fine from factory, why add more weight and ruin the aerodynamics just to make it look like shit?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

S204STi

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 26, 2012, 09:26:22 AM
Complaining about this car's speed is silly. Its faster or as fast as much of its competition (Miata, GTI, Civic Si) and it offers a driving experience that is completely unique. More power would mean more weight or more cost, which are the two things they sought to avoid in making this. The aftermarket will fill in the gaps. The people who have actually driven the car love it in spite of its gross power deficit. Power complaints at this point are beating a dead horse.

According to Evo though the car pales in comparison to the more-fun-to drive Miata because it is not as good as the sum of its parts.  The chassis needs more power to live up to its full potential, and the lack of midrange power is a serious detriment on anything other than a downhill or flat run.  Denying this is getting pretty old dude.  My argument has always been that it could use more power, and that not offering the frankly obvious Subaru-esque soluton is silly.  I can't believe that you won't concede the possibility.  As I've pointed out many times now, this car will (and does) fall on its face in the hills because of its power-plant. They could make a fantastic car by offering the option of a turbo.  As it is, it sounds great - situationally - but not all-around, which is one of the hallmarks of a great machine.

r0tor

I'll keep my Mazda over this thing thank you very much
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on April 26, 2012, 10:04:25 AM
Awful, like most body kits.  The car looks fine from factory, why add more weight and ruin the aerodynamics just to make it look like shit?

It's committed the prototypical trifecta of ricer fail; too little tire for a given rim (especially the rears - yikes), poor lowering technique (rear negative camber), and just too lowered in general. But I like the wheels, body kit and exhaust tips, and I generally don't like aftermarket stuff.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on April 26, 2012, 10:04:39 AM
This car is fantastic.

Why are you so drawn to hyperbole and otherwise making these grand predictive statements? Haven't you seen enough of your statements fail (your grandest failure of course that the new Camaro would be a sales flop) to stop?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 11:21:37 AM
Why are you so drawn to hyperbole and otherwise making these grand predictive statements?

Why can't you express an idea w/o using meaningless catch-all buzzwords like "morality"? Why do you think the measure of a car's "fun-to-drive" factor amounts to nothing more than its straight line performance? When is the last time you owned a stickshift car?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 10:31:27 AM
It's committed the prototypical trifecta of ricer fail; too little tire for a given rim (especially the rears - yikes), poor lowering technique (rear negative camber), and just too lowered in general. But I like the wheels, body kit and exhaust tips, and I generally don't like aftermarket stuff.
Negative camber can be a good thing. The original X5 had a lot of static negative camber. Certain chassis' benefit greatly from a lot of negative camber on the race track. I myself have seen cars improve in handling w/increased negative camber. Remember, when the suspension is loaded and the car is leaning, neutral camber becomes positive (that is bad), negative camber becomes neutral (that is good).

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 26, 2012, 11:58:03 AM
Why can't you express an idea w/o using meaningless catch-all buzzwords like "morality"? Why do you think the measure of a car's "fun-to-drive" factor amounts to nothing more than its straight line performance? When is the last time you owned a stickshift car?

Q1:  Where did I use the word "morality" in that post?

Q2:  Failed due to strawmanism.

Q3:  What car do you own again?

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 26, 2012, 12:00:23 PM
Negative camber can be a good thing. The original X5 had a lot of static negative camber. Certain chassis' benefit greatly from a lot of negative camber on the race track. I myself have seen cars improve in handling w/increased negative camber. Remember, when the suspension is loaded and the car is leaning, neutral camber becomes positive (that is bad), negative camber becomes neutral (that is good).

Bunches of negative camber the rear? LOL. It's there because it's a hack job. Proper lowering to that extent in the rear should be by way of drop spindles.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 12:19:41 PM
Bunches of negative camber the rear? LOL. It's there because it's a hack job. Proper lowering to that extent in the rear should be by way of drop spindles.

:wtf:

Drop spindles! LOL. Suspension fail.

GoCougs

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 26, 2012, 12:21:36 PM
:wtf:

Drop spindles! LOL. Suspension fail.

Great, a 'SPINner doesn't know what a spindle is...

If it ain't dropped correctly one ends up with an excessive rear negative camber hatchet lowering job.

Cookie Monster

It's running that much camber to tuck inside the fender...otherwise it would rub the tire to shreds.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 12:28:32 PM
Great, a 'SPINner doesn't know what a spindle is...

If it ain't dropped correctly one ends up with an excessive rear negative camber hatchet lowering job.

You are referring to yourself, I assume. Build a bigger strawman. Burn it down with your face. Douchebag! LOL.

GoCougs

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 26, 2012, 12:34:58 PM
You are referring to yourself, I assume. Build a bigger strawman. Burn it down with your face. Douchebag! LOL.

Really - you're going to make me gin up a drawing of how this all works?

Lots of images of spindles on the InnerKnowledges. Also search on the various kits and methods of how to drop a spindle.

GoCougs

Quote from: thecarnut on April 26, 2012, 12:31:30 PM
It's running that much camber to tuck inside the fender...otherwise it would rub the tire to shreds.

And in the process cause all sorts of handling issues (note much less if little/any negative camber on the front)?

Like a lot of these kits/endeavors, I see a bit of a hack job to get fat tires and some lowering.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 12:46:03 PM
And in the process cause all sorts of handling issues (note much less if little/any negative camber on the front)?

Like a lot of these kits/endeavors, I see a bit of a hack job to get fat tires and some lowering.
Well yeah, it's probably too low and negatively affects the handling, but I think the point was to go for looks, not performance... I'm sure the heavier (I'm assuming) wheels and the stretched tires don't help the handling either, but they sure look nice.
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on April 25, 2012, 09:46:09 PM
Sounds boring, but boxers can sound totally rad with the right stuff.

I agree. Right now it just sounds flat and dull, but seems like it would liven up a little bit with a few easy mods.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 12:40:49 PM
Really - you're going to make me gin up a drawing of how this all works?

Lots of images of spindles on the InnerKnowledges. Also search on the various kits and methods of how to drop a spindle.

You can drop a spindle on your face, but you can't drop a spindle on the rear end of a BRZ/FRS! You're a troll living in a bubble in your parents' basement. I'm a car guy. You can't argue with me.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 12:18:37 PM
Q1:  Where did I use the word "morality" in that post?

Q2:  Failed due to strawmanism.

Q3:  What car do you own again?
Please explain how owning a car is a prerequisite for being knowledgeable about them. Especially given how consistently wrong you are on so many car related things.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 12:19:41 PM
CougsFAIL.  I guess you know more about suspension design and setup than BMW.  The M3 has negative camber on the rear wheels.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 11:21:37 AM
Why are you so drawn to hyperbole and otherwise making these grand predictive statements? Haven't you seen enough of your statements fail (your grandest failure of course that the new Camaro would be a sales flop) to stop?
Nice internetry Cougs, but once again it's a massive CougsFAIL.  I never once said the Camaro would be a sales flop.  I said it would outsell everything for at least 1 year until the novelty wore off and then the Mustang would start outselling it once more.  I was wrong and I admit I was wrong.  You on the other hand refuse to admit you're wrong when you're wrong (your insistence that the Camaro SS is somehow better than the Mustang GT).

Eye of the Tiger

I'm going to put drop spindles on my van BECAUSE I CAN. :praise:

280Z Turbo

Do they even make drop spindles for anything other than pickups and old muscle cars?

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 26, 2012, 02:00:58 PM
Do they even make drop spindles for anything other than pickups and old muscle cars?
I didn't think that modern cars would have the clearance for drop spindles,but hey, what do I know?
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R