BRZ gets slammed by EVO and comes in last in comparo...

Started by 565, April 21, 2012, 07:41:56 AM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 26, 2012, 02:00:58 PM
Do they even make drop spindles for anything other than pickups and old muscle cars?
No, but given Cougs' resume I can't blame him for not knowing that.

Eye of the Tiger

Do they even make drop spindles for anything other than pickups and old muscle cars?

I think I've seen them for 350Z.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

No they don't.  At least, not that I can find.  CougsFAIL.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on April 26, 2012, 01:43:57 PM
Nice internetry Cougs, but once again it's a massive CougsFAIL.  I never once said the Camaro would be a sales flop.  I said it would outsell everything for at least 1 year until the novelty wore off and then the Mustang would start outselling it once more.  I was wrong and I admit I was wrong.  You on the other hand refuse to admit you're wrong when you're wrong (your insistence that the Camaro SS is somehow better than the Mustang GT).

Ha, ha - three years on and your Camaro haterism still taints your 'SPINning.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 03:18:46 PM
Ha, ha - three years on and your Camaro haterism still taints your 'SPINning.
Ha, ha - three years on and your Mustang haterism still taints your 'SPINning.

Eye of the Tiger

There are so many strawmen bouncing around, I can't tell which internetery belongs to which strawman. Now, back to discussing the morality of giving drop spindles the right to pursue happiness...

GoCougs

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 26, 2012, 02:07:19 PM
No, but given Cougs' resume I can't blame him for not knowing that.

Quote from: thecarnut on April 26, 2012, 02:06:34 PM
I didn't think that modern cars would have the clearance for drop spindles,but hey, what do I know?

Quote from: SVT666 on April 26, 2012, 02:58:53 PM
No they don't.  At least, not that I can find.  CougsFAIL.

No problem - EducationSPIN is in session. Again. But hey, we're all friends, and I don't mind. Overall it'll simply just increase the forum's worth and credence in the enthusiast community (LONG way to go given the above, but I'm optimistic as per my usual).

Dropping spindles doesn't have to happen with an integral "dropped" spindle assembly but of course they exist for more modern vehicles (Civic drop spindles, Golf/Jetta drop spindles, Miata drop spindles, etc.).

Dropping F/R spindles (i.e., without installing an integral "dropped" spindle assembly is possible/necessary too) for big drops can happen other ways tood depending on the various suspension setups. Simply Google various examples of mucking about with knuckles, trailing arms, links, etc.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: GoCougs on April 26, 2012, 03:43:54 PM
No problem - EducationSPIN is in session. Again. But hey, we're all friends, and I don't mind. Overall it'll simply just increase the forum's worth and credence in the enthusiast community (LONG way to go given the above, but I'm optimistic as per my usual).

Dropping spindles doesn't have to happen with an integral "dropped" spindle assembly but of course they exist for more modern vehicles (Civic drop spindles, Golf/Jetta drop spindles, Miata drop spindles, etc.).

Dropping F/R spindles (i.e., without installing an integral "dropped" spindle assembly is possible/necessary too) for big drops can happen other ways tood depending on the various suspension setups. Simply Google various examples of mucking about with knuckles, trailing arms, links, etc.

Please discontinue the "education" and do not bother to explain the difference between a dropped spindle, and a "dropped" spindle.  :wtf:

SVT666

MX793

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 26, 2012, 07:32:50 AM
This is a car that needs to be thrashed. The original S2000 was really a dog on the small cam. But it was still a thrilla in its element.

Miata was 6.7/7.6. S2000 was 5.4/7.0. I think this gap is just the consequence of a peaky motor + grippy tires + a RWD chassis. 3.3 in a car w/way less torque AND power vs 3.0 is not that bad either.

The GTI and the BRZ make the same peak power and the GTI is ~300 lbs (11%) heavier.  The GTI simply has a much more usable powerband, which such roll-on tests aptly demonstrate. 

Though to be fair, the BRZ can't hit 60 in 2nd gear, so the extra shift probably added .2 to its time.  But then, the NC MX-5 can't hit 60 in 2nd gear either, and it has a much tighter spread between 0-60 and 5-60 than the BRZ.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

GoCougs

Seriously guys, some of you need to get better at the tech side of things and Internetry in general. How could you troll with OMG NO SUCH THING AS DROP SPINDLES FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN PICKUPS AND OLD MUSCLE CARS without first spending 30 seconds on Google???

hotrodalex

There might be drop spindles for other cars, but muscle cars and trucks are the only ones that use them regularly. Can't say I've ever heard some one with a Miata or Civic say they're going to use drop spindles.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 26, 2012, 03:21:50 PM
There are so many strawmen bouncing around, I can't tell which internetery belongs to which strawman. Now, back to discussing the morality of giving drop spindles the right to pursue happiness...

"If I only had a brain"

GoCougs

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Eye of the Tiger

Rupert

Quote from: S204STi on April 26, 2012, 10:11:03 AM
According to Evo though the car pales in comparison to the more-fun-to drive Miata because it is not as good as the sum of its parts.  The chassis needs more power to live up to its full potential, and the lack of midrange power is a serious detriment on anything other than a downhill or flat run.  Denying this is getting pretty old dude.  My argument has always been that it could use more power, and that not offering the frankly obvious Subaru-esque soluton is silly.  I can't believe that you won't concede the possibility.  As I've pointed out many times now, this car will (and does) fall on its face in the hills because of its power-plant. They could make a fantastic car by offering the option of a turbo.  As it is, it sounds great - situationally - but not all-around, which is one of the hallmarks of a great machine.

Turbo = money, and;
turbo = why buy the n/a when you can buy the turbo, so;
turbo = now it's not a cheap car anymore.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: sportyaccordy on April 26, 2012, 01:27:35 PM
Please explain how owning a car is a prerequisite for being knowledgeable about them. Especially given how consistently wrong you are on so many car related things.

... In the same way that owning a stickshift matters...

:huh:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

2o6

The WRX starts life as an Impreza, a basic economy car that happens to have AWD and does not come with a turbo and only has like 150HP.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on April 26, 2012, 08:55:13 PM
The WRX starts life as an Impreza, a basic economy car that happens to have AWD and does not come with a turbo and only has like 150HP.

And the BRZ starts life as an Impreza, chopped, cut, and rebuilt, and does not come with a turbo and only has like 200HP.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 26, 2012, 08:56:05 PM
And the BRZ starts life as an Impreza, chopped, cut, and rebuilt, and does not come with a turbo and only has like 200HP.

BRZ is ground up all new.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on April 26, 2012, 08:56:43 PM
BRZ is ground up all new.

Great, except you forgot about the part where it's essentially an Impreza coupe.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 26, 2012, 09:00:36 PM
Great, except you forgot about the part where it's essentially an Impreza coupe.

Buh? The new Impreza, (IIRC) is basically the next Corolla, since Toyota and Subaru will be more closely linked. The BRZ/FRS will be the basis of all new small RWD Toyotas.

I know the ENGINE will be the basis of the next WRX, but I don't think anything else.

93JC

I have no opinion on this, but I do think that 2.0 L Subaru boxer-4s can sounds really, really good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTkktsSpaz0&t=1m1s

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

Never liked the sound of a boxer, especially a modified boxer that sounds like rattling beer cans.

Eye of the Tiger

Laconian

WRT the BRZ being a Impreza Coupe, which it isn't, that is a good thing, because, the Impreza is already quite possibly, comma, the best handling car in the world.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rupert

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 26, 2012, 09:58:48 PM
No, dis: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4UJWE84lWI&

Yep. There's a WRX in town that sounds like that. It's kind of a dumb car, but it sounds so awesome, who cares? :lol: