2013 Nissan Sylphy (Will likely be new Sentra)

Started by 2o6, April 23, 2012, 10:35:29 AM

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

2o6

Payman

If a venerial disease can be translated into car design, this would be it.

ifcar

Wasn't the point of making the Versa as boring as possible to make room for a sportier, sleeker Sentra? The overlap continues.

Payman

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on April 23, 2012, 10:40:10 AM
Wasn't the point of making the Versa as boring as possible to make room for a sportier, sleeker Sentra? The overlap continues.

How is this overlap? Although the Versa still has good legroom, it's still smaller, narrower, cheaper and physically smaller than this Sylphy. It's no more different than the difference between my Yaris sedan and the Corolla (which are near idendical in a lot of measurements)

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on April 23, 2012, 10:40:17 AM
Japan has really lost its way in car design.

Suprisingly, Toyota seems to be coming back. They're still kind of bland, but I actually can't pick out any model that I actually dislike.

Vinsanity

Guys, it doesn't look that bad. It's bland, but not ugly. It looks like a pint-size version of the new Altima, which shouldn't be surprising, since the last/current one looks like a pint-size version of the old Maxima. And at least this looks much better than that one.

FoMoJo

Horrible, horrible.  Not one pleasant line.  The front fender bulges are atrocious along with the bulging hip-line.  Ghastly. :nutty:

Why does the hip-line from the rear view look so different from the hip-line from the front view :confused:?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 23, 2012, 10:44:55 AM
Guys, it doesn't look that bad. It's bland, but not ugly. It looks like a pint-size version of the new Altima, which shouldn't be surprising, since the last/current one looks like a pint-size version of the old Maxima. And at least this looks much better than that one.

Neither of those models look good. The new Altima and new Maxima are both hideous.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on April 23, 2012, 10:43:34 AM

How is this overlap? Although the Versa still has good legroom, it's still smaller, narrower, cheaper and physically smaller than this Sylphy. It's no more different than the difference between my Yaris sedan and the Corolla (which are near idendical in a lot of measurements)

And there's a reason Toyota dropped the Yaris sedan...

The Versa and Sentra won't be identical, just like they're not identical now, but they're both going to be in the roomy but dull section of the economy car class. There was room for Nissan to do something different with the Sentra, but it doesn't appear to be doing that.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on April 23, 2012, 10:46:04 AM
Neither of those models look good. The new Altima and new Maxima are both hideous.

I'm afraid I agree.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on April 23, 2012, 10:47:26 AM
And there's a reason Toyota dropped the Yaris sedan...

The Versa and Sentra won't be identical, just like they're not identical now, but they're both going to be in the roomy but dull section of the economy car class. There was room for Nissan to do something different with the Sentra, but it doesn't appear to be doing that.

One is bigger and more powerful. One is smaller and less powerful. It doesn't seem to be any different than the Fiesta and Focus relationship.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on April 23, 2012, 10:44:09 AM
Suprisingly, Toyota seems to be coming back. They're still kind of bland, but I actually can't pick out any model that I actually dislike.

Disagree. The only Toyotas I like for design are the trucks (not SUVs) and the FR-S (but like the BRZ better).

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on April 23, 2012, 10:51:17 AM
Disagree. The only Toyotas I like for design are the trucks (not SUVs) and the FR-S (but like the BRZ better).

I have no strong feelings either way towards any of their models.

Raza

Interesting.  I think this is at least better looking than the frumpy outgoing model.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on April 23, 2012, 10:52:14 AM

I have no strong feelings either way towards any of their models.

And that's the letdown of current Japanese design. Mostly inoffensive, but so are most kitchen appliances.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on April 23, 2012, 10:54:45 AM
And that's the letdown of current Japanese design. Mostly inoffensive, but so are most kitchen appliances.

Japanese design has never been exciting.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on April 23, 2012, 10:55:49 AM

Not quite true. The early 90's was a golden era/coming of age period for Japanese design. Their cars set the tone of progress for the rest of the industry for the remainder of the decade. The same is true to a lesser degree for a handful of Japanese cars of the early 2000's.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on April 23, 2012, 11:03:02 AM
Not quite true. The early 90's was a golden era/coming of age period for Japanese design. Their cars set the tone of progress for the rest of the industry for the remainder of the decade. The same is true to a lesser degree for a handful of Japanese cars of the early 2000's.

Not in the slightest. Most, if not all mildly interesting design came from Europe.

Most of their cars were well-proportioned, but pretty bland boxes.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on April 23, 2012, 10:55:49 AM

Whoa, what? I'll make a short list off the top of my head...

1992 Lexus SC
1993 Mazda RX-7
1990 Acura NSX
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th generation Honda Preludes
Toyota 2000GT
Datsun 240Z
1st gen Mazda RX-7
Honda S2000
1st gen Toyota Celica
1990's Nissan Maxima
Mazda Miata
Mitsu 3000GT
Mitsu Starion/Dodge Conquest
-
-
-

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on April 23, 2012, 11:06:09 AM
Whoa, what? I'll make a short list off the top of my head...

1992 Lexus SC
1993 Mazda RX-7
1990 Acura NSX
1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th generation Honda Preludes
Toyota 2000GT
Datsun 240Z
1st gen Mazda RX-7
Honda S2000
1st gen Toyota Celica
1990's Nissan Maxima
Mazda Miata
Mitsu 3000GT
Mitsu Starion/Dodge Conquest
-
-
-

Sometimes, I wonder if you guys get performance and styling intermixed, because some of these I think aren't particularly exciting to look at in comparison to their European competition.

They look pretty good, but for the most part their other models are all pretty bland.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on April 23, 2012, 11:08:02 AM

Sometimes, I wonder if you guys get performance and styling intermixed, because some of these I think aren't particularly exciting to look at in comparison to their European competition.

They look pretty good, but for the most part their other models are all pretty bland.

No, YOU are getting it intermixed. I thought we were talking about styling here.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on April 23, 2012, 10:49:21 AM
One is bigger and more powerful. One is smaller and less powerful. It doesn't seem to be any different than the Fiesta and Focus relationship.

Another case where there was room to make the cars more different.

In this case, Nissan keeps trying to bill itself as a sporty brand, but it hasn't offered a legitimate affordable sporty vehicle in years. The Sentra was an opportunity to give some sort of style, and Nissan isn't doing it.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on April 23, 2012, 11:11:00 AM
No, YOU are getting it intermixed. I thought we were talking about styling here.

I'm not going to lie, they have had their gems, but their entire market tends to be more restrained and bland compared to Europe or even the US. I still think the 2006+ "Cheese Wedge Civic" looks awesome. I absolutely love the EU hatchback (and it was styled specifically for them, which market tends to gravitate towards a stylish and unique model, whereas in the US we view our cars as appliances).

An illustration I can think of is maybe the MK1 Focus. Stylistically, it blew our minds, looking so different from the average Corolla and Civic. In Europe, it wasn't that big of a deal; (but it seems like the car's popularity came from other merits of the car).

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on April 23, 2012, 11:12:46 AM
Another case where there was room to make the cars more different.

In this case, Nissan keeps trying to bill itself as a sporty brand, but it hasn't offered a legitimate affordable sporty vehicle in years. The Sentra was an opportunity to give some sort of style, and Nissan isn't doing it.

It seems like Nissan is losing the sporty premise, though.

cawimmer430

Quote from: mzziaz on April 23, 2012, 10:37:27 AM
Sounds and looks like syphilis

My thoughts exactly.

And Nissan Syphilis would still sound better than this weirdo name. At least syphilis is an actual word that people can relate to! :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie