2013 Ford Escape: High MPG Should Sell Lots and Lots

Started by Atomic, April 27, 2012, 07:29:30 AM

Atomic

Quote from: SVT666 on July 08, 2012, 10:27:48 PM
Sure, I like the new Fusion, but I was speaking about the current lineup.  Also, my Focus is better than the new Focus.  The new one is very quiet and more refined, but my Focus is much more fun and communicates everything (steering, brakes, throttle, etc) better.  Never driven the Fiesta, but I didn't like the Mazda2 (feels as much like a tin can as the old Geo Metro), so I probably wouldn't like the Fiesta either.  The Taurus is a fucking monster of a car and feels even bigger from behind the wheel, it transmits tire slap into the cabin like motherfucker, and is FWD.  The Dodge Charger is the same size and is much better in every way.  I would buy a Ram over the current F-Series, a Durango or Wrangler Unlimited over the new pussified Explorer, and an Infiniti over any Lincoln.  Ford is building some really good cars right now and they are arguably industry leaders in most of their classes (not including the Taurus), but they just aren't for me.

Something got lost between the Ford Five Hundred and "return" of the Taurus. The Mercury versions, Montego and then, the Sable on the same platform as the Ford looked far better, IMO. The Taurus lost the sophisticated look of the "500" -- a car poorly marketed. I thought the pair should have replaced the aged Mercury Grand Marquis and Ford Crown Victoria instead of adapting new names (from the past) when first introduced...

"Marquis" opposed to G.M. (no pun intended) might have worked. The Grand Marquis was once the best selling car in Florida and improving upon that cars success with large car lovers with the Montego and lots of marketing dollars might of worked  :huh: . We will never know...

TurboDan

I think when it comes to the 500, you're confusing "sophisticated" with "boring car that only old people would buy."  :devil:

I'd say that was a dark period for Ford -- more boring, mediocre cars that weren't appealing to any great number of people. Compare that with what's coming down the line now: the new Focus, the aforementioned Fiesta SVT, the upscale Explorer and the stunning Fusion that's about to hit the market, and you can tell this is a new company. Ford is definitely moving to be more of a premium mainstream brand, a la VW, and I think that's a good place for them. For years, any American car that was the least bit luxurious or premium was marketed towards senior citizens, and it never made sense to me. I'm glad the tide is changing within Ford, as well as GM with the new ATS.

Also, I doubt anyone under age 75 would've bought anything with the word "Marquis" in it.

Now, they just need to blow up Lincoln and start a new luxury division...

Rich

I don't know... I drove a Five Hundred for a few days, and for such a spacious car it drove wonderful.  Yah, it looked boring (did have awesome proportions, though), but the interior had plushness where it counted (touch points), the steering was very precise/accurate, cornered very flatly for its size, great visibility, and plenty of pep with the 3L/CVT combo.  Good gas mileage, too.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

TurboDan

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 09, 2012, 09:15:04 AM
I don't know... I drove a Five Hundred for a few days, and for such a spacious car it drove wonderful.  Yah, it looked boring (did have awesome proportions, though), but the interior had plushness where it counted (touch points), the steering was very precise/accurate, cornered very flatly for its size, great visibility, and plenty of pep with the 3L/CVT combo.  Good gas mileage, too.

Oh yeah. I never thought/said it was a bad car, just that it looked so boring nobody except old people would buy it.

ifcar

Quote from: TurboDan on July 09, 2012, 04:09:23 PM
Oh yeah. I never thought/said it was a bad car, just that it looked so boring nobody except old people would buy it.

You said it was a mediocre car.

TurboDan

SVT666

Rich

I'd never driven an Avalon, but I imagine the 500 was handled much better. The car was pretty good to drive and I had a MINI at the time. The 500 was a much better car than the Impala. Nicer inside than the Charger
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

TurboDan

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 09, 2012, 10:54:09 PM
I'd never driven an Avalon, but I imagine the 500 was handled much better. The car was pretty good to drive and I had a MINI at the time. The 500 was a much better car than the Impala. Nicer inside than the Charger

I really like the Charger's interior in the higher trims where they have the nice touch screen and such. Looks kinda cool. The 500's interior was decent, but bland.

Atomic

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 09, 2012, 09:15:04 AM

The similar Mercury Montego looked better, IMO, even with just suttle styling cues. The Sable that followed got it right, I think, but it was obviously too late for this car, the entire division and with the public aware (or not) of FMC halting advertising dollars, the writing was on the wall.

Atomic

There is currently a $1,000 customer rebate on the 2013 Ford Escape. Not a bad deal! It's also a great way to boost those initial sales figures. Failed to look at the 2012 incentives on this Ford while looking at my print edition of Automotive News yesterday but I imagine it bests the all new model. Monthly tallys do not separate 2012 from 2013 sale's numbers, so most of the credit is given to the '13. We shall see how the new model stacks up against others in its class once the '12 vehicles are all sold out. I predict it will do extremely well, even without incentives.

AutobahnSHO

Saw LOTS of new Escapes on the road the last few days. They look decent enough.
Will

Atomic

Quote from: Madman on May 30, 2012, 10:37:24 AM
I think the US Government should take the opposite tack and incentivise diesel by taxing it at a lower rate then gasoline.  All these big pickups and SUVs with huge gas-guzzling engines make absolutely no sense.  Think of how much fuel could be saved if all these hillbilly trucks and breeder buses had the torquey, fuel efficient turbodiesel engines their crying out for.

It's such an obvious solution and yet no one is saying anything about it!  :lockedup:

After being fixated on luxury vehicles recently (lol) I am getting back to read and comment on other topics, too...

Glad I did already for this is a brilliant idea, Madman. If you ever decide to run for public office, you've got my vote  :ohyeah: !

Atomic

Very surprised to see such large rebates on many 2013 Fords and 0% financing on some. $1000 of the 2013 Ford Escape (started out of the gate, I think) and is extended into the fall (Source: Automotive News). I saw one on the road yesterday and really like it... A grand off in the form of a rebate and/or low financing should boost sales. Financing is not quite as low as zero (as on the MY13 Taurus, others), but still enticing, especially for an all new model and one as fine as the new Escape. Incentives are better on the outgoing '12 models for those loyalists looking for that version and even greater savings.

3.0L V6

Quote from: Atomic on August 03, 2012, 06:15:20 AM
Very surprised to see such large rebates on many 2013 Fords and 0% financing on some. $1000 of the 2013 Ford Escape (started out of the gate, I think) and is extended into the fall (Source: Automotive News). I saw one on the road yesterday and really like it... A grand off in the form of a rebate and/or low financing should boost sales. Financing is not quite as low as zero (as on the MY13 Taurus, others), but still enticing, especially for an all new model and one as fine as the new Escape. Incentives are better on the outgoing '12 models for those loyalists looking for that version and even greater savings.

They priced the new Escape pretty high to start - maybe some of that was built-in to account for the inevitable incentives?

Atomic

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on August 03, 2012, 07:17:40 AM
They priced the new Escape pretty high to start - maybe some of that was built-in to account for the inevitable incentives?

I was thinking the same thing. The upcoming 2013 Ford Fusion will be significantly higher, too. It might be worth it, but some will find it out of their range, I think.