Your "fighting words"

Started by hounddog, April 29, 2012, 04:38:20 PM

rohan

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on April 30, 2012, 12:12:25 PM
That's because you have the intellect of a child.
You're such a gown up with your insults and everything- and you know oh so much about me.  ;)
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: MiataJohn on April 30, 2012, 12:12:40 PM
No disrespect intended, but I think you are looking at this through "cop's eyes" and the cop mindset that you need to always "take charge of the situation".
I won't deny that's a possibility.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Tave

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:16:16 PM
Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire

That is a Supreme Court opinion that gives the police the constitutional authority to arrest the jackass who is harassing you. It's a restriction on his speech.

"Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire" doesn't make it a good idea for you to beat up people who insult you and risk getting arrested yourself.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

rohan

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 12:22:08 PM
That is a Supreme Court opinion that gives the police the constitutional authority to arrest the jackass who is harassing you. It's a restriction on his speech.

"Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire" doesn't make it a good idea for you to beat up people who insult you and risk getting arrested yourself.
I know what it is- the restriction on his speech goes beyond police authority-  Fighting Words in Constitutional Law.

"insulting or 'fighting words,' those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace"

~Chief Seattle

Payman

I can't imagine a situation in today's society where my wife, daughter, or mother would be called a cunt. I imagine the individual would be insane or severly impaired, and the "manly" thing to do would be to extricate them from the confrontation. If the guy has no qualms about calling a woman such a hateful name, what else is he capable of? That the two LEO's here would punch the guy and escalate things is kind of disturbing.

Tave

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:17:52 PM
You're telling me you wouldn't utter a word- throw a look- nothing.  Anything you do in response is your drawing the line on fighting words.  :huh:  May not be the physical altercation HD was talking about but it's a response to fighting words not just simply walking away peacefully either.

Well there you go, that's what all of us are talking about. I thought you were too.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

rohan

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 12:24:53 PM
Well there you go, that's what all of us are talking about. I thought you were too.
In general yes- gut you were acting "as if..."  you would do nothing- say nothing- not respond in anyway to his fighting words other then standing up and walking out. 

~Chief Seattle

Payman

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 12:24:53 PM

Oh yeah, okay. I don't think anyone here said they'd do nothing.

Tave

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:26:47 PM
In general yes- gut you were acting "as if..."  you would do nothing- say nothing- not respond in anyway to his fighting words other then standing up and walking out.  

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 11:40:40 AM
1) Why is my cunt of a wife picking fights with strangers at restaurants?

2) I imagine it would go something like, "Hey asshole, that's my wife, take it easy. Honey, this place sucks, let's get out of here."

:huh:

I'd definitely be less likely to get in a profanity-laced insult match with my 60-year old sweatheart of a mother sitting right there though.

rohan

Quote from: Rockraven on April 30, 2012, 12:24:23 PM
I can't imagine a situation in today's society where my wife, daughter, or mother would be called a cunt. I imagine the individual would be insane or severly impaired, and the "manly" thing to do would be to extricate them from the confrontation. If the guy has no qualms about calling a woman such a hateful name, what else is he capable of? That the two LEO's here would punch the guy and escalate things is kind of disturbing.
Things are already escalated.  That we understand where courts stand on this type of thing is knowing your rights and where you draw the line- then again you are Canadian.   

~Chief Seattle

SVT666

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 11:50:56 AM
No- it's stupid and so is your assertion that a thread about defending his wife and daughter honor or from being touched inappropriately as being a bully and hothead.  I know you don't have either so you can't understand- but it's about standing up like a man not a neutered metro.  Sometimes men have to fight that's just the nature of life.
No words are worth fighting over.  Sorry man.  I have a wife, a daughter, and a son, and there is nothing you could call them that would drag me into fighting.  If someone assaulted them, especially sexually, they would not only receive a beat down, but someone would have to stop me from killing them.

rohan

Quote from: SVT666 on April 30, 2012, 12:30:22 PM
No words are worth fighting over.  Sorry man.  I have a wife, a daughter, and a son, and there is nothing you could call them that would drag me into fighting.
Bull.

Shit.

I do not believe that for one single second especially where it comes to your daughter.  I've seen the photos of you with her- she's clearly your pride and joy and the light of your life- you'ld snap on someone like a crazyman for saying "just the right thing" to her- maybe not intentionally but believe me there's a line with daughters that people just can't cross.  I'm a dad- and my daughter isn't biologically mine but she's "mine"-  protection of a daughter is incredibly instinctual.

QuoteIf someone assaulted them, especially sexually, they would not only receive a beat down, but someone would have to stop me from killing them.
No need to even mention that- I think we're all in the very same spot where that comes into play.

~Chief Seattle

Payman

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:29:59 PM
Things are already escalated.  That we understand where courts stand on this type of thing is knowing your rights and where you draw the line- then again you are Canadian.   

What difference does it make if I'm Canadian?

Payman

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:36:00 PM
Bull.

Shit.

I do not believe that for one single second especially where it comes to your daughter.  I've seen the photos of you with her- she's clearly your pride and joy and the light of your life- you'ld snap on someone like a crazyman for saying "just the right thing" to her- maybe not intentionally but believe me there's a line with daughters that people just can't cross.  I'm a dad- and my daughter isn't biologically mine but she's "mine"-  protection of a daughter is incredibly instinctual.

No need to even mention that- I think we're all in the very same spot where that comes into play.

What would you do... beat the living crap out of the guy in front of your daughter?

rohan

~Chief Seattle

Eye of the Tiger

Everyone in this thread should just kick each other's asses, because these words aren't getting us anywhere.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

rohan

Quote from: Rockraven on April 30, 2012, 12:37:47 PM
What would you do... beat the living crap out of the guy in front of your daughter?
Nope- you'd be surprised how a few well chosen words backed up by "honestly angry" look in your eyes can resolve a problem like that. 

~Chief Seattle

Payman

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:44:30 PM
Nope- you'd be surprised how a few well chosen words backed up by "honestly angry" look in your eyes can resolve a problem like that. 

Now here we are in agreement.

Tave

Things are already escalated.  That we understand where courts stand on this type of thing is knowing your rights and where you draw the line- then again you are Canadian.  

I don't think you understand the law very well. "Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire" is a case which describes the limits of the 1st Amendment. It's an exception to free speech, allowing states to pass laws which restrict the ability of a speaker to express themselves. Read that again, it restricts the speaker's rights, it has nothing to do with the rights of the listener. It is a form of prior restraint, allowing the police to arrest the person saying the words before he can use those words to incite violence. It's not a defense to beating someone up.

From Michigan's criminal code:

M.C.L.A. 780.972
780.972. Right to use of force in defense of self or another individual
Currentness
Sec. 2.

(2) An individual ... may use force ... against another individual ... if he or she honestly and reasonably believes that the use of that force is necessary to defend himself or herself or another individual from the imminent unlawful use of force by another individual.

And your civil code

M Civ JI 115.07  Assault and Battery?Provocation by Mere Words Not a Defense

Words alone, no matter how insulting, do not justify an assault or battery against the person who utters the words.

SVT666

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:44:30 PM
That's not fighting....is it?

SVT666

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 12:36:00 PM
Bull.

Shit.

I do not believe that for one single second especially where it comes to your daughter.  I've seen the photos of you with her- she's clearly your pride and joy and the light of your life- you'ld snap on someone like a crazyman for saying "just the right thing" to her- maybe not intentionally but believe me there's a line with daughters that people just can't cross.  I'm a dad- and my daughter isn't biologically mine but she's "mine"-  protection of a daughter is incredibly instinctual.

I would never beat a guy in front of her either.  Would I bite back?  Sure, but I wouldn't curse and I certainly wouldn't use physical force in front of her.

rohan

Again- knowing your rights are knowing where to draw the line in a confrontation and knowing where the courts stand...............

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: SVT666 on April 30, 2012, 01:00:42 PM
I would never beat a guy in front of her either.  Would I bite back?  Sure, but I wouldn't curse and I certainly wouldn't use physical force in front of her.
Quote from: SVT666 on April 30, 2012, 12:59:36 PM
That's not fighting....is it?
And responding never leads to altercations? 

~Chief Seattle

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on April 30, 2012, 11:45:39 AM
No, it's dead on accurate.

Tony is known around here as a hothead and a bit of a bully, and this thread just confirms that.

Dude is too old for this infantile shit and should know better.  So should you for that matter.

Thing is with bullies and I'm-big-so-I'm-a-good-fighter types like hounddog is that they generally suck at fighting. In my prime I've had friends that 7 times out of 10 would have left hounddog lying on the sidewalk crying for his mama (Golden Gloves champ, state wrestling champ), and they were all of 6'-1" and maybe 185 lbs. The wrestler was a fighter and often times threw first; the boxer was quite mellow and was rarely in fights, but when it happened, bad news for hounddog types.

shp4man

Quote from: Rockraven on April 30, 2012, 12:36:28 PM
What difference does it make if I'm Canadian?

:facepalm:

It's all that maple syrup and obsession with hockey-that messes with your brain.  :lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on April 30, 2012, 12:00:45 PM
I find it extremely disturbing that you are an LEO.

More than a few have said the same. My hope is he comes here to vent and otherwise IRL rohan is quite a different person (my hunch is that's probably the case).

rohan

Quote from: GoCougs on April 30, 2012, 01:03:23 PM
Thing is with bullies and I'm-big-so-I'm-a-good-fighter types like hounddog is that they generally suck at fighting. In my prime I've had friends that 7 times out of 10 would have left hounddog lying on the sidewalk crying for his mama (Golden Gloves champ, state wrestling champ), and they were all of 6'-1" and maybe 185 lbs. The wrestler was a fighter and often times threw first; the boxer was quite mellow and was rarely in fights, but when it happened, bad news for hounddog types.
LOL  at everything you just wrote.

~Chief Seattle

Tave

Quote from: rohan on April 30, 2012, 01:01:02 PM
Again- knowing your rights are knowing where to draw the line in a confrontation and knowing where the courts stand...............

The law does not allow you to beat someone who insults you. That's called a duel, and it was outlawed a hundred years ago.

rohan

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 01:19:38 PM
The law does not allow you to beat someone who insults you. That's called a duel, and it was outlawed a hundred years ago.
You're not reading what I'm writing.............

~Chief Seattle

Payman

Now that I think about it, if my wife can get someone to call her a cunt, she prolly had it coming.  :lol: