Opinions on a Dumb Investment

Started by TurboDan, April 29, 2012, 10:40:22 PM

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on April 29, 2012, 10:49:52 PM
...are you serious?

Eh...... the lady half would not mind them.  :lol:

CALL_911

You weren't kidding when you said you were from the Jersey Shore, were you...?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

TurboDan

Quote from: CALL_911 on April 29, 2012, 10:52:04 PM
You weren't kidding when you said you were from the Jersey Shore, were you...?

LOL. I live about 10 minutes from Seaside Heights. At the very least, the Lambo doors on the XLR might sway some eyes from Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino's Bentley with the NJ license plate "SITCH" on the back.

ifcar

I'm surprised they aren't more expensive. They're certainly more distinctive than a similarly priced set of rimz if you want a look-at-me Cadillac.

TurboDan

Quote from: ifcar on April 29, 2012, 10:55:18 PM
I'm surprised they aren't more expensive. They're certainly more distinctive than a similarly priced set of rimz if you want a look-at-me Cadillac.

Yeah, the stock rims are alloy which she isn't too crazy about (she likes chrome) but they look awesome as is. As for look-at-me factor, the Lambo doors are probably better, as far as being a cocky bastard valeting it outside of a club.

XLR doors are weird to begin with. There are no door handles. You have to grip it and squeeze, and they unlock. From the inside, you press a button and they unlatch. It confuses the shit outta me when I drive that car after driving anything else after a while. It's cool, I guess, but don't get why GM didn't just put normal doors locks in it.

Eye of the Tiger

Can't you just put a turbo on it or something?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TurboDan on April 29, 2012, 10:40:22 PM
Lambo doors for XLR.  :wub:

http://www.carid.com/2009-cadillac-xlr-lambo-doors/vertical-door-kit-45366.html?utm_source=googlebase_com&utm_medium=comparator&utm_campaign=Google_feed&CAWELAID=411900975

I've seen a few different takes on this; not sure if any were this brand of kit or not, but I'd pass.

To start openong the doors, you still have to swing them out a few inches before swinging them up, and the hinges are complex and easily tweaked out of alignment.

They look cool at car shows, but I really don't think they're durable enough for normal usage.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TurboDan

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 29, 2012, 11:13:03 PM
I've seen a few different takes on this; not sure if any were this brand of kit or not, but I'd pass.

To start openong the doors, you still have to swing them out a few inches before swinging them up, and the hinges are complex and easily tweaked out of alignment.

They look cool at car shows, but I really don't think they're durable enough for normal usage.

This is what I was thinking. The compromises, as well as the fact that this car is a semi-daily-driver, makes the idea not worth it.

cawimmer430

I would rather invest in a 1974 Dodge Monaco body that can be placed on top of a Cadillac XLR body. Style, baby, style.  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Middle_Path

Aftermarket lambo doors are terrible. They barely function properly, have a terrible seal, and feel cheap all around when using them. I've felt embarrassed for owners after having to use their "bad ass" doors and realizing what garbage they were.
You see what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps?!!

mzziaz

Stupidest idea on carspin. Ever.
Cuore Sportivo

Lebowski

Absolutely not.

My advice is to delete this thread and we can all pretend this never came up.

Payman

The very definition of a dumb investment is dropping $1500 on your car and instantly strip $10,000 off its value.

Rich

Quote from: Lebowski on April 30, 2012, 07:00:41 AM
Absolutely not.

My advice is to delete this thread and we can all pretend this never came up.

+1

Dan, between this and the complaining about interiors of value vehicles, you seem really superficial :thumbsup:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

ifcar

Don't listen to the naysayers. Get some Lando-Lambo doors for the LR2.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Just buy a bullhorn and yell "Look at me, I'm a moron!" whenever you go somewhere in the XLR.  It's cheaper and has the same effect.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Hahaha. Alright, looks like the door "upgrade" is a no-go.

TurboDan

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 30, 2012, 07:43:48 AM
+1

Dan, between this and the complaining about interiors of value vehicles, you seem really superficial :thumbsup:

Haha, well the doors are absolutely for superficial purposes. But I don't think interior preferences fall into that category, especially since nobody can actually see your interior unless they're inside the car. I just like ample gadgetry in the cockpit and an interior that looks like it "fits" without dash panel gaps, cheap materials, etc.

2o6

If you go through with this, please change your screename to TurboRice.

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on April 30, 2012, 12:19:43 PM
If you go through with this, please change your screename to TurboRice.

Mighty big talk coming from a guy who wants to buy a front lip spoiler for his Toyota Yaris.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

CJ

The lip spoiler was factory on the Yaris S. His Yaris S doesn't have it. Can't fault the kid for that.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on April 30, 2012, 01:50:22 PM
Mighty big talk coming from a guy who wants to buy a front lip spoiler for his Toyota Yaris.

It's a factory option that my car originally had and doesn't have.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TurboDan on April 30, 2012, 10:03:34 AM
Haha, well the doors are absolutely for superficial purposes. But I don't think interior preferences fall into that category, especially since nobody can actually see your interior unless they're inside the car. I just like ample gadgetry in the cockpit and an interior that looks like it "fits" without dash panel gaps, cheap materials, etc.

There's nothing wrong with superficial purposes: at all.

And yeah, I'll even admit that they can look cool on some cars. I just don't think they hold up real well. its a big, complicated hinge under spring tension that's supposed to fit in about the same space as the original hinges, and was engineered by two guys with an autocad program. Automakers spend lots of time getting the door gap tolerances in the original hinges dialed in and reliable: These just don't cut it long term.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

I'd say do it just to piss all these people off!

Tave

Quote from: J86 on April 30, 2012, 08:22:38 PM
I'd say do it just to piss all these people off!

:hesaid:

They look ultra swag on the XLR too.

Rupert

Quote from: HotRodPilot on April 30, 2012, 07:43:48 AM
+1

Well he does live in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=afrL3RAw_jA#t=15s

:lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA