Dodge Dart, First Drive

Started by LonghornTX, April 30, 2012, 09:05:14 PM

LonghornTX

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/30/2013-dodge-dart-first-drive-review-video/#continued

Sounds like a solid addition to the C-segment. Should be driving this car and the rest of the lineup this summer when I head up to Auburn Hills for my internship  :rockon:
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

2o6

I think it looks less flattering in live photos, but I was never a big fan of the design to begin with.

I will have to visit a Dodge dealer when it comes out.

SVT666

ifcar

It sounds very promising, except for the gas mileage. It could easily become the best of the premium compacts.

Raza

It looks decent, unless you see it from the side. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Vinsanity

Quote from: ifcar on May 01, 2012, 06:25:40 AM
It sounds very promising, except for the gas mileage. It could easily become the best of the premium compacts.

27/39 mpg doesn't seem too shabby; does the 1.4T require premium fuel or something?

Quote from: Raza  on May 01, 2012, 08:19:15 AM

seriously...holy front overhang, Batman

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 01, 2012, 10:08:58 AM

seriously...holy front overhang, Batman

Don't feel bad, all Fiat C-segments have this problem.

Galaxy

Do I see a little bit of new Viper in the rear view?  :mask:

Cookie Monster

Ugh, the front overhang just ruins the car IMO.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 01, 2012, 10:08:58 AM
27/39 mpg doesn't seem too shabby; does the 1.4T require premium fuel or something?

As I recall, they've only published the EPA numbers for select variants. So while that's not bad, it's not great if that's the pick of the litter, especially for a car that's only just coming out.

TurboDan

A sporty compact with a 2 litre turbo that gets 25/36 mpg will sell just fine. Those numbers won't make anyone think twice. If you want 40MPG, then buy a subcompact or a diesel.

The overhang is... odd... but overall I like the car. I'm pleasantly surprised by the look of the interior. I thought that would be the Dart's downfall, but looks like Dodge got it right. This car is going to make a lot of people happy, I think.

Submariner

Quote from: ifcar on May 01, 2012, 03:37:29 PM
As I recall, they've only published the EPA numbers for select variants. So while that's not bad, it's not great if that's the pick of the litter, especially for a car that's only just coming out.

There is an optional aero pack that improves highway mileage to 41MPG.  That isn't too bad...
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

2o6

Is it just me, or is grey a TERRIBLE choice of interior color? It automatically makes everything look significantly cheaper than it is.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2012, 04:21:48 PM
Is it just me, or is grey a TERRIBLE choice of interior color? It automatically makes everything look significantly cheaper than it is.

It's you.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

ifcar

Quote from: Submariner on May 01, 2012, 04:11:39 PM
There is an optional aero pack that improves highway mileage to 41MPG.  That isn't too bad...

It's city driving that makes the bigger difference in fuel consumed.

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on May 01, 2012, 04:21:48 PM

:hesaid:

Raza

Does anyone else get the feeling that the front and rear of the car don't "fit" with the profile?  If those pictures weren't together, I'd think it were front and back pics of one car and a profile shot of another.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Northlands

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27330.msg1712337#msg1712337 date=1335881955

Exactly what I thought. I still see a bit of Dodge Neon when I look at the side profile. Otherwise I think they've done a pretty decent job of this.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

LonghornTX

The gas mileage sounds pretty good to me...I actually kind of dig the look. It has presence. Curious to see what it looks like in person

thewizard16

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 01, 2012, 09:04:19 PM
The gas mileage sounds pretty good to me...I actually kind of dig the look. It has presence. Curious to see what it looks like in person
They had one at the STL Auto Show and I thought it looked pretty good in person. The interior also looked nicer than any small car Dodge has made in ... well, ever.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

LonghornTX

Quote from: thewizard16 on May 01, 2012, 11:06:42 PM
They had one at the STL Auto Show and I thought it looked pretty good in person. The interior also looked nicer than any small car Dodge has made in ... well, ever.
Can't wait. Maybe I will be able to check out the future SRT model this summer :)

Speed_Racer

Externally, it looks great from some angles (front and rear), and awkward from others.

Looks super-goofy from this angle, especially with that huge schnoz.

Hachee

When they first showed this car, I couldn't understand why it looked like this when they were starting with that great Alfa styling.  But I saw one at the NY Auto Show, and it looked surprisingly good in person.  Yes, the shnozz is huge, but that's the case with just about all cars these days. 

I still don't get why they think "Dart" is a good name now. 

280Z Turbo

The trunk opening looks tiny. It should have been a hatch, but then nobody would buy it.

Connect rear window to trunklid = hatch = Americans DO NOT WANT
Tiny trunklid = sedan = Americans DO WANT!

I don't understand.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Hachee on May 02, 2012, 08:24:29 AM

Me neither. Wasn't Al Bundy's car a Dodge Dart?

280Z Turbo

Because they own the name. All of the other names are taken now.

Is this car going to be a Dodge or will they be making a new brand called DART?

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 02, 2012, 10:14:22 AM
The trunk opening looks tiny. It should have been a hatch, but then nobody would buy it.

Connect rear window to trunklid = hatch = Americans DO NOT WANT
Tiny trunklid = sedan = Americans DO WANT!

I don't understand.

More useful more of the time + secure cargo area = Sedan

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

When they first showed this car, I couldn't understand why it looked like this when they were starting with that great Alfa styling.  But I saw one at the NY Auto Show, and it looked surprisingly good in person.  Yes, the shnozz is huge, but that's the case with just about all cars these days. 

Alfa Giulietta has the same problem, though.

Lancia Delta is probably the worst, though.