Time for a new car

Started by SVT666, May 03, 2012, 11:01:13 AM

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on June 12, 2012, 06:33:36 PM
I was talking with a BMW owner at the autoX this past weekend and he mentioned that not only is the water pump considered a "maintenance item" to be replaced at 60K miles (which I've heard before), but apparently the whole fracking radiator needs to be replaced after 60K miles because it also somehow wears out.  That right there is reason enough for me to never buy a used BMW.  Or even a new BMW.  It's bad enough that they apparently can't build a water pump that will last 100K miles like pretty much every other carmaker can, but they can't even make a radiator that will last more than 60K miles?  And this from a company that prides itself in engineering excellence?  What a joke.

And how DARE you for wanting to check the oil yourself.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 12, 2012, 06:20:32 PM
Did? How do you know it's already beat up?
I was referring to the old model.  It had a shitty interior.

GoCougs

You sure about that being a good deal? Within 30 miles of Seattle I'm finding loads of 2010 G37X (albeit non sport models) for ~$25k - $26k (meaning, you should walk away for 10-15% less easily), and all pretty much have way less than 50k miles...

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 12, 2012, 06:20:32 PM
About MY2009. There were moderate upgrades in MY2010 - better interior switchgear (doors), better seat heater controls (7 settings rather than just hi/low), less garish gauges (no more goofy blue), better looking white LCD readout (no more goofy red), better climate control, better iPod/iPhone integration (there have been problems with the '09 actually even working with iPhones), streaming Bluetooth audio, updated NAV unit, better AT performance.
I have driven the 2009, 2010, and the 2011 G37 sedan.

- Switchgear is not noticeably different from 2009 to 2010.
- Seat heater controls are unchanged from 2009 to 2010 (7 settings)
- I like the goofy blue.
- The red LED doesn't bother me, but yeah, white is nicer.
- I see no difference in the climate controls
- Ipod integration means nothing to us since we don't have any iPods
- 2009 has Bluetooth as well
- NAV units gets upgraded every year don't they?
- There is no noticeable difference in AT performance between 2009 and 2010 that I could tell.  Whatever the changes they were minimal.  2011 received a big upgrade in transmission programming though, and I'm hoping to get my transmission programming updated.

QuoteAbout the "sport" model. The ground effects hang down low, which was a bit of a  :facepalm:  for the AWD model and ride quality (and snow prowess) decreases with the 18" wheels (I passed on the S model because of this). Other than this maybe bigger brakes all you get is the paddle shifters.
The S gives you a different steering ratio and different steering wheel rim, different brakes, the magnesium paddle shifters, 18" wheels, better seats, revised lower bodywork, and I think there is slightly revised suspension settings.

QuoteAbout the warranty. At least in the US, it's 4 yrs/60k for bumper-to-bumper, so it's just about up for that car. Perhaps it has the extended factory warranty (but those are sorta worthless anyway).
The warranty is good for another 25,000 kms.  So about a year.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 12, 2012, 07:32:55 PM
You sure about that being a good deal? Within 30 miles of Seattle I'm finding loads of 2010 G37X (albeit non sport models) for ~$25k - $26k (meaning, you should walk away for 10-15% less easily), and all pretty much have way less than 50k miles...
I have to pay a 6.1% duty on non NAFTA vehicles.  Plus the import charges and any modifications that need to be made for Canadian compliance and suddenly I'm paying the same or more.  Also, none of those cars you found are white and that was non-negotiable for us.  It's the only colour on the G that we both really like.  Also, when I searched Autotrader, I only found 13 2009 and 2010s.  Only 3 were cheaper and they had fewer options and they were only a grand or two less which means I'll end up paying more for those.  The others were all more expensive.

As an added bonus, my car was privately owned and not by a fleet.   I did a title search and then googled the guy.  He's a dentist in Vancouver.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on June 12, 2012, 09:36:45 AM
the only 'SPINner I can think of capable of legit 9/10ths performance driving is ChrisV.

MexicoCityM3?

Eye of the Tiger

LOL.  I bet 9/10ths of us could get up to 9/10ths after 9 or 10 laps around a track.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CALL_911

The facelift also looks much better. I'm with Cougs on this one.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Yeah, except it's in Chicago, and I'm nowhere near it, and I don't buy cars off eBay.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

GoCougs

If I had to do it over I'd do white. I had a white G as a loaner and fell in love with the color. I'd go with the optional 18" 7 split-spoke wheels:

SVT666

Here are a couple photos the dealer sent me.

GoCougs

Looks good but man, be careful with that stone/wheat interior. Just look at it funny and it'll get stained...

CJ

Quote from: GoCougs on June 12, 2012, 11:17:35 PM
Looks good but man, be careful with that stone/wheat interior. Just look at it funny and it'll get stained...

This.  Don't wear jeans. 

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

SVT666

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT666 on June 12, 2012, 11:49:06 PM
No.  Aluminum trim.

Aluminium trim is much better, IMO.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

68_427

Not sure I've ever seen aluminum trim that looked upscale.
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

Quote from: 68_427 on June 13, 2012, 12:02:39 AM
Not sure I've ever seen aluminum trim that looked upscale.

Save for some high end cars, I've never seen wood trim that didn't look as fake as a Burberry bag that hailed from Canal St.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Lebowski

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 13, 2012, 06:40:28 AM
Save for some high end cars, I've never seen wood trim that didn't look as fake as a Burberry bag that hailed from Canal St.

+1

Wood generally only looks good in the high end models, IMO.

MrH

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 13, 2012, 06:40:28 AM

The open pour wood stuff is the classiest trim out there.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CJ

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on June 12, 2012, 06:33:36 PM
I was talking with a BMW owner at the autoX this past weekend and he mentioned that not only is the water pump considered a "maintenance item" to be replaced at 60K miles (which I've heard before), but apparently the whole fracking radiator needs to be replaced after 60K miles because it also somehow wears out.  That right there is reason enough for me to never buy a used BMW.  Or even a new BMW.  It's bad enough that they apparently can't build a water pump that will last 100K miles like pretty much every other carmaker can, but they can't even make a radiator that will last more than 60K miles?  And this from a company that prides itself in engineering excellence?  What a joke.

:confused:

And people want me to get a Z4?  Great, get a low mileage one, and in a year, spend $4000 to replace the water pump and radiator. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Well, the deal is dead.  I was looking at the pictures of the interior that the dealer sent me and the driver's seat looked like the colour wasn't quite right.  I chalked it up to shadows, but after you a couple of you guys mentioned the taupe interior gets stained easily, I asked the salesman if the seat was stained.  He said it has some discolouration and that it looked like it was from clothes dye.  I asked if they could get it out, and he said no.  If the seats stain that easily, then my kids will make a total mess of it...and besides, I don't want to pay good money for a car with stained seats.

GoCougs

The carpet, floor mats, and doors would take/have already taken a beating too. 'Tis why I will always get black interior despite it being a bit dour (which is hard to find on some G sedans such as white and slate blue like mine).

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 13, 2012, 02:46:40 PM
The carpet, floor mats, and doors would take/have already taken a beating too. 'Tis why I will always get black interior despite it being a bit dour (which is hard to find on some G sedans such as white and slate blue like mine).
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking now too.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi