Time for a new car

Started by SVT666, May 03, 2012, 11:01:13 AM

Vinsanity

Quote from: dazzleman on June 24, 2012, 08:34:17 PM
That drive to Vegas must be pretty sweet.  I love a nice open road.  There are so few of them around here.

Are you happy with the move, or would you prefer to stay in the old office?

The freeway between SoCal and Vegas is pretty heavily traveled, though, and when it does open up, there's always a cop lurking somewhere right when you're ready to drop the hammer. It's frustrating as hell.

All things considered, the move should make my life much easier, if also more boring. I'm going to have to find something to do with the extra 2 hours of free time I have every weekday, but I suppose that's not a bad problem to have.

Cookie Monster

Congrats on the car, SVT!

BTW, start a new thread for it! This one has been taken over by the man-love between dazzle and vinsanity anyways. :devil:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Quote from: thecarnut on June 24, 2012, 09:08:14 PM
Congrats on the car, SVT!

BTW, start a new thread for it! This one has been taken over by the man-love between dazzle and vinsanity anyways. :devil:

Moderators just need to merge it with Coug's thread. They're twinsies now.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on June 24, 2012, 09:33:37 PM
Moderators just need to merge it with Coug's thread. They're twinsies now.
Nah.  He drives a rental.

TBR

Congrats on the car. Good color choices too. The G looks great in classy pearlescent, and the beige is definitely the way to go (the black + aluminium trim just looks cold).

GoCougs

Not as new or as low mileage as mine, and missing the updates/improvements that occurred in MY2010+, but I approve of course.

Interesting that in the US the (not really) "sport" package only comes with nav (one of the many reasons I passed on "sport").

Should think about the body-colored splash guards; they're expensive buggers but worth it to protect the paint, especially in areas with snow.

I'd never have that interior; you'll never keep it clean, but at least unlike the other lighter interior colors this has the black dash/console/doors. The others don't and looks so dated:

280Z Turbo

I think the floor mats would be impossible to keep clean in the winter months. I'd get some rubber floor mats for sure.

SVT666

There are no meaningful differences between the 2009 and 2010 G37. 

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on June 24, 2012, 06:38:58 PM
I'm thinking about the black wrap.  I love how yours looks.

Vinyl roof conversion!  Get that four door convertible with the top up look.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 24, 2012, 10:34:45 PM
Not as new or as low mileage as mine, and missing the updates/improvements that occurred in MY2010+, but I approve of course.
I have looked up what these "improvements" are and I can't find anything about them.  You listed them in a previous post, yet my car has some of them (so they weren't new for 2010), and the blue guages are still there in 2010 on the Sport model, so there's no difference there, and I looked into the transmission programming and it didn't change between 2009 and 2010.

QuoteInteresting that in the US the (not really) "sport" package only comes with nav (one of the many reasons I passed on "sport").
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

QuoteShould think about the body-colored splash guards; they're expensive buggers but worth it to protect the paint, especially in areas with snow.
Good tip.  I'll look into them.

QuoteI'd never have that interior; you'll never keep it clean, but at least unlike the other lighter interior colors this has the black dash/console/doors. The others don't and looks so dated:
The floor mats will never stay clean, but I'm getting rubber ones for the winter anyway.  As for the leather staying clean, we have beige leather in the Explorer and stains and spills clean up really easy.  Just to be on the safe side though, the kids have to take their shoes off when they get in and there and no drinks (except water) and no food allowed int he Infiniti.

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on June 24, 2012, 10:34:45 PM
Interesting that in the US the (not really) "sport" package only comes with nav (one of the many reasons I passed on "sport").

Yeah, who would want a great, useful feature in one's vehicle?  :nutty:

CALL_911

Quote from: TurboDan on June 25, 2012, 10:07:04 AM
Yeah, who would want a great, useful feature in one's vehicle?  :nutty:

Yeah, only a retard would pay $100 for an external GPS. Who would do that when you could pay 20x as much for a built in unit that does the same thing? I love getting ripped off!

(Ignore the fact that my car has built in nav- it was used and a decent deal. I wouldn't pay for that shit otherwise)

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 25, 2012, 10:15:57 AM
Yeah, only a retard would pay $100 for an external GPS. Who would do that when you could pay 20x as much for a built in unit that does the same thing? I love getting ripped off!

(Ignore the fact that my car has built in nav- it was used and a decent deal. I wouldn't pay for that shit otherwise)

We're talking about used cars here. What's the premium for a nav unit in a used G37?

TurboDan

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 25, 2012, 10:15:57 AM

But this whole thread is about used cars, and generally the price of nav in a used car becomes a decent deal. 'Cougs said he purposely did not get the trim that had nav simply because it had nav. That's absolutely senseless.

Honestly, I absolutely hate with a passion wires flying around my vehicle, sticking things to the windshield and/or dash with suction cups, digging the external unit out of the glovebox, etc. Did that in my Passat, both with nav and sat radio, and it sucked. It's so much easier, more efficient in terms of space and aesthetically pleasing to have it built in. When the computer voice speaks, it lowers your radio volume momentarily, it integrates with other functions in the vehicle and in my experience loads up faster.

CALL_911

Fair, my dad feels the same way. In my case, if there was a GTI with a sunroof within 200 miles of home that didn't have navigation, I'd probably get it over my car.

Then again, I also don't trust navigation systems (I've used mine enough times to count on one hand). They're great at finding the most retarded way to get to point B.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 25, 2012, 10:29:07 AM
Fair, my dad feels the same way. In my case, if there was a GTI with a sunroof within 200 miles of home that didn't have navigation, I'd probably get it over my car.

Then again, I also don't trust navigation systems (I've used mine enough times to count on one hand). They're great at finding the most retarded way to get to point B.

Better than spending 20 minutes finding the fastest way to point B using a map :lol:

Raza

Quote from: TurboDan on June 25, 2012, 10:21:44 AM
But this whole thread is about used cars, and generally the price of nav in a used car becomes a decent deal. 'Cougs said he purposely did not get the trim that had nav simply because it had nav. That's absolutely senseless.

Honestly, I absolutely hate with a passion wires flying around my vehicle, sticking things to the windshield and/or dash with suction cups, digging the external unit out of the glovebox, etc. Did that in my Passat, both with nav and sat radio, and it sucked. It's so much easier, more efficient in terms of space and aesthetically pleasing to have it built in. When the computer voice speaks, it lowers your radio volume momentarily, it integrates with other functions in the vehicle and in my experience loads up faster.

See that little cubby under the center stack?  That's where I keep my nav.  Most people think it's an integrated system.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27350.msg1739399#msg1739399 date=1340643489
See that little cubby under the center stack?  That's where I keep my nav.  Most people think it's an integrated system.

That's cool.  Most cars don't have that little cubby though.

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on June 25, 2012, 10:35:55 AM

Better than spending 20 minutes finding the fastest way to point B using a map :lol:

I don't know, I usually use Google maps and change up their directions, depending on how good their suggested route is. My nav system sucks (although having directions in the gauge cluster display is pretty cool).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

2o6

Aren't those things absurdly hard to update?

TurboDan

Quote from: 2o6 on June 25, 2012, 11:59:58 AM
Aren't those things absurdly hard to update?

No. You buy the current year's map DVD, put it in the DVD slot, and it updates itself.

GoCougs

In-car nav is monolithic technology, especially in an older model like the second gen G. Smartphone nav is better for me; the app is many-times updateable (for example Apple will be porting Siri over to its own nav app for the iPhone5 = win) and there's no mucking about with media to update the maps.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on June 25, 2012, 09:21:33 AM
I have looked up what these "improvements" are and I can't find anything about them.  You listed them in a previous post, yet my car has some of them (so they weren't new for 2010), and the blue guages are still there in 2010 on the Sport model, so there's no difference there, and I looked into the transmission programming and it didn't change between 2009 and 2010.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Good tip.  I'll look into them.
The floor mats will never stay clean, but I'm getting rubber ones for the winter anyway.  As for the leather staying clean, we have beige leather in the Explorer and stains and spills clean up really easy.  Just to be on the safe side though, the kids have to take their shoes off when they get in and there and no drinks (except water) and no food allowed int he Infiniti.
You're going to make them take their shoes off before getting in a car? :confused:
RWD > FWD
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on June 25, 2012, 01:38:26 PM
You're going to make them take their shoes off before getting in a car? :confused:
I'll post pictures of what the back of my seats look like in the Focus.  Their legs aren't long enough to bend down towards the floor, so they end up with the bottoms of their shoes on the backs of the front seats.  Their shoes comes off anyway on most trips int he car, so now they just come off when they get in rather than after they have dirtied up the back of my seats.

MrH

Makes sense.  What rubber floor mats are you getting?  I figure you Canadians get them all the time.  Do you get OEM ones, or WeatherTech, or what?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on June 25, 2012, 12:33:56 PM
Smartphone nav is better for me

I guess you never have to drive in an urban area, then. No smartphone GPS app works well at all in NYC or Philly, in my experience. Can't see why it would be better in any other large city. It's always getting lost, forgetting to tell you to turn and such. It also drains your battery like a mofo. Plus your smartphone screen is small (so you don't have as much eye-ready access to important info) and holding your smartphone in your hand when you need it could earn you a ticket.

At the end of the day, above all else, I just like everything smooth and integrated. Don't think I could go back to external, though I'm not sure even I would allow myself to be ripped off on an internal unit if I was buying a car new rather than used. If VW makes the BlueSport I'm pretty sure I'll buy one new, and that will annoy the hell out of me what they'll presumably want to charge for built-in GPS.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: SVT666 on June 25, 2012, 03:19:07 PM
I'll post pictures of what the back of my seats look like in the Focus.  Their legs aren't long enough to bend down towards the floor, so they end up with the bottoms of their shoes on the backs of the front seats.  Their shoes comes off anyway on most trips int he car, so now they just come off when they get in rather than after they have dirtied up the back of my seats.
Ah I see, good point.
RWD > FWD
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

Quote from: TurboDan on June 25, 2012, 04:19:51 PM
I guess you never have to drive in an urban area, then. No smartphone GPS app works well at all in NYC or Philly, in my experience. Can't see why it would be better in any other large city. It's always getting lost, forgetting to tell you to turn and such. It also drains your battery like a mofo. Plus your smartphone screen is small (so you don't have as much eye-ready access to important info) and holding your smartphone in your hand when you need it could earn you a ticket.

At the end of the day, above all else, I just like everything smooth and integrated. Don't think I could go back to external, though I'm not sure even I would allow myself to be ripped off on an internal unit if I was buying a car new rather than used. If VW makes the BlueSport I'm pretty sure I'll buy one new, and that will annoy the hell out of me what they'll presumably want to charge for built-in GPS.

Prices are fortunately coming down for the factory units, at least from some manufacturers. VW has never been one to offer a bargain, though.

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on June 25, 2012, 04:19:51 PM

So "absolutely senseless" isn't quite so then? ;) Above all else I prefer more versatile platform; in-dash nav can't touch a smartphone for that. The Siri Apple nav is going to rock.

Seattle + surrounding area is plenty urban, and my app works just fine (I don't look at the screen - I go voice command only).