Time for a new car

Started by SVT666, May 03, 2012, 11:01:13 AM

SVT666

I'm kinda bummed.  I sold the Focus today.  The only upside is that it went to a car enthusiast.

Onslaught

Always sad to sell a car you like. I have dreams about some of the cars in my past and how I betrayed them.

SVT666

When I sold the Mustang I cried for about 15 minutes and then was in a funk for about 3 days.

Onslaught

I've never cried. I'm a man.  :lol:

Raza

I know what you're going through.  Letting the Jetta go was pretty emotional for me too.  We had four hard years together, getting through the final semester of school, 8 months of unemployment, and three grueling years at my job; 83,700 miles.  And it was the first car I ever bought with my own money.  I also felt a loss when I returned the Passat. 

The only hope is that what you replace it with can give you the same enjoyment and feel of reciprocal care that you had with the last car.  And, if you hope against hope, the person who gets your car after you feels the same way about the car as you did. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

I am really attached to that car.  I mean, I flew to San Jose to get it.  It took me 22 hours of driving to get it home.  My son's first ride in a car was in the Focus.  The Infiniti is great and all, but the visceral connection isn't as apparent as it is in the SVT.  Oh well, what's done is done, and when the time is right a 2011 Mustang GT convertible will be residing in my garage (2 years away).

Lebowski

I get attached to cars, too.  I remember my old '95 prelude, hated to see that car go.  It'll be sad when the C6 eventually goes, too.

But at the end of the day, cars are just things.  There's far more important shit to worry about.  I think it's less the physical car that's sad to go, than it is we mentally associate it with certain memories and times in our lives.

SVT666

I truly love the car.  Aside from the memories.

Raza

I remember when Top Gear killed the Lacetti, Richard said "Cars don't only carry people, they carry our memories", or something to that effect.  He's absolutely right.  I'll never forget the first time I completely lost control of my Mercedes, or when I almost lost it at triple digits and got it back.  Or that the first time I made a girl cry was in that car.  I'll never forget the feeling of dread when I blew past a cop doing 120 in a 40 in my Passat; how I started getting really hot and sweating bullets to the point that I had to open my windows despite the fact that it was 10 degrees outside.  Or the first time I got air in that car.  Or how I found this almost finished development to drive around in in the snow.  Or that drag race I got into with a Maxima where I ran him neck and neck, and after the race, we talked and he was impressed that my car was only a 1.8T and not a VR6 like he thought it would have to be to keep up with him.  I'll always remember sneaking out of the house to test drive cars against my parents' wishes when it was time to give the Passat back.  I remember finding the Jetta, driving it for the first time, and absolutely falling for it.  I remember sitting them down and telling them that I was going to buy it, with my own money, whether or not they were on board with it, and feeling like a grown man for the first time in my life. 

Cars, regardless of what they are on a spec sheet, do carry a lot of who we are in them.  It's always sad to see one go.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

666 I find myself missing my C6 also. I keep thinking only if I hadn't sold my F 150 I cuold have kept my Vette. But in the end It'll all work out. When you get that Mustang Vert you'll be a happy camper again. And by then hopefull I'll be able to pick up a C7 or a C6 GS Vert!!!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide