Time for a new car

Started by SVT666, May 03, 2012, 11:01:13 AM

Lebowski

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 10:39:58 AM
Yes.  I live on a lake.  Boat stays.

If a boat causes this many logistical compromises, including your wife's daily commute, it's not worth having.

68_427

Grab a couple jet skis if possible.  They'll get used more in the long run, and you can tow them with any car.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Why get a boat when you could have a BETTER CAR?!! :lol:

You can't drive a boat on the street.  Not worth it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on May 07, 2012, 11:02:31 AM

If a boat causes this many logistical compromises, including your wife's daily commute, it's not worth having.

I won't even dignify this with a comment.

SVT666

Quote from: 68_427 on May 07, 2012, 11:04:38 AM
Grab a couple jet skis if possible.  They'll get used more in the long run, and you can tow them with any car.
We waterski.  Can't do that behind a jet ski.  Besides, they won't get used more.  We will be on our boat virtually every weekend from now until mid September.

SVT666

By the way, when did a BMW 328i become a compromise?  The transmission is a compromise, but the car itself is faster, handles better, rides better, and is a far superior car to my SVT Focus in every way.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 11:10:03 AM
By the way, when did a BMW 328i become a compromise?  The transmission is a compromise, but the car itself is faster, handles better, rides better, and is a far superior car to my SVT Focus in every way.

I have very real doubts that a 328i handles better than an SVT Focus.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 11:08:20 AM
We waterski.  Can't do that behind a jet ski.  Besides, they won't get used more.  We will be on our boat virtually every weekend from now until mid September.

I meant in the long run.  With my personal experience, as your kids get older, they might prefer jet skis since they're more personal and much easier to take out for a quick blast by yourself.  They don't require the same amount of planning for a trip to the lake as a boat.

I've wake boarded behind a jet ski.  Er personal watercraft.
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

Quote from: 68_427 on May 07, 2012, 11:14:35 AM
I meant in the long run.  With my personal experience, as your kids get older, they might prefer jet skis since they're more personal and much easier to take out for a quick blast by yourself.  They don't require the same amount of planning for a trip to the lake as a boat.

You don't have to plan a trip to the lake if you live on the lake like he does.

68_427

On doesn't have to mean "My house is built on waterfront property"  Could be a couple miles.  Even still, launching a boat on your own is way more difficult than a jet ski.

But I do understand having a boat while his kids are young.  Although it's possible to plan into the future.  I'm sure he could keep the boat in a marina or something during the season, since it'll be used as often as he says it will be. That way he wouldn't need the Explorer.  Yes I know he couldn't sell it blah blah but we here at Carspin love trying to change peoples minds about shit.
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

If you live on the lake, why don't you just park the boat in the lake?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27350.msg1715841#msg1715841 date=1336410871
I have very real doubts that a 328i handles better than an SVT Focus.
Well, since I own an SVT Focus and I just drove the 328i, I'm telling you it does.

SVT666

Quote from: Vinsanity on May 07, 2012, 11:17:45 AM
You don't have to plan a trip to the lake if you live on the lake like he does.

I think you guys are misinterpreting my call for opinions on the car as me asking you what I should sell, keep, etc. 
1. We love boating, we're keeping the boat. 
2. We will not rent a slip since those are very expensive around here...and there's a waiting list.
3. We need the Explorer for the boat and tent trailer since we couldn't sell it to buy a beater truck.

Lebowski

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 11:10:03 AM

By the way, when did a BMW 328i become a compromise?

Lol this whole thread is one giant clusterfuck of irrational compromises.

Making your wife drive an exploder that you don't want yet can't afford to sell is a compromise.

Not being able to buy a beater truck because you're already imposing upon your parents to store one of your 37 vehicles+boats+trailers is a compromise.

Not being able to take boat in for 3 weeks is a compromise.

Bitching about gas prices when you own not one but two discretionary gas guzzling items is a compromise.

Don't get me wrong I see the appeal of a boat too but how much headache is it really worth?

Cookie Monster

So I'm assuming there's no way for you to get your wife to drive a stick? No offense to her but that would solve all your problems without you having to spend another penny on vehicles, and you get to keep the car you love.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 11:30:46 AM
Well, since I own an SVT Focus and I just drove the 328i, I'm telling you it does.

Really?  Are you sure it's not just RWD bias shining through? 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Quote from: Lebowski on May 07, 2012, 11:44:04 AM
Lol this whole thread is one giant clusterfuck of irrational compromises.

Making your wife drive an exploder that you don't want yet can't afford to sell is a compromise.
We love the Explorer and my wife likes driving it.  But, my wife spent $7800 on fuel alone last year.  By my calculations, we will save roughly $4000 in fuel this year if we can trade vehicles whenever one of us goes out of town.  

QuoteNot being able to buy a beater truck because you're already imposing upon your parents to store one of your 37 vehicles+boats+trailers is a compromise.
The trailer is 50% theirs anyway, and they have the room to store it and we don't.

QuoteNot being able to take boat in for 3 weeks is a compromise.
Right.  Getting a car my wife can drive cures that problem.   :nutty:

QuoteBitching about gas prices when you own not one but two discretionary gas guzzling items is a compromise.
I never bitched about gas prices.  The sheer amount of fuel the Explorer uses can be cut by half by trading vehicles as needed...Freeing up the money to buy a BMW.

QuoteDon't get me wrong I see the appeal of a boat too but how much headache is it really worth?
Yes.  By doing this, the headaches are minimized greatly.   :nutty:

I don't need to justify any of this to you.  I wasn't looking for opinions on if I'm doing the right thing here, because I already know I am.  I really want this BMW.  I want it more than I want to keep my Focus to be quite honest.  Because of this move, the Explorer will be relegated to around town and towing duty which is the ultimate goal.  Doing this, makes our lives much easier, because now I can use the Explorer whenever I need to, which is quite often during the spring and summer (landscaping mostly).  Right now, if I take the Explorer, my wife is house bound and that does not work for us.

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on May 07, 2012, 11:57:30 AM
So I'm assuming there's no way for you to get your wife to drive a stick? No offense to her but that would solve all your problems without you having to spend another penny on vehicles, and you get to keep the car you love.
She has tried.  She doesn't have the coordination and it scares the crap out of her.  She's 40 now, so there is pretty much no changing this fact now.  Now, I do love my Focus, but I want the BMW more than I want to keep my Focus. 

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27350.msg1715880#msg1715880 date=1336413913
Really?  Are you sure it's not just RWD bias shining through? 
Yes.  The Focus is not sprung as stiffly as some may think.  My buddy's 2005 Civic SiR rides twice as stiff as my car.  The BMW rolls less and handles mid corner bumps much better, and around here mid corner bumps are a reality.

Eye of the Tiger

Exploder needs to go. Get a used Mazda 5.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rich

Boat and house need to go.  Replace with Viper.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Raza

What about trading the Explorer in on something?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Rich

Didn't you buy the Explorer in the US at a really good price?  Why can't ya get a decent price for it in Canukistan?
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 10:38:51 AM
On Saturday we drove a 2008 BMW 328i, a 2008 Infiniti G35x, and a 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6DI.  Both BMW and Infiniti offer 0.9% over 48 months on their CPO cars.  BMW provides a 6 year protection plan as well.

2008 Infiniti G35x
Pros:
- Looks great
- Drives well
- very good handling
- lots of power
- big trunk
- nice seats
- better leather than the BMW
- Great interior styling
- 0.9% Financing

Cons:
- Cheapness found in some interior trim pieces
- engine is coarse at higher rpms
- auto transmission is very slow to react to manual inputs
- doesn't feel as solid as the BMW and kind of feels like a really nice Nissan
- Steering feel is muted compared to the BMW

FWIW, the G37x ('09+) has moderate to major improvements on the important cons: engine NVH, steering feel and AT performance are all dramatically improved.

Also, the 328i I think will be a bad idea - you've had enough car-related headaches.

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 07, 2012, 12:34:23 PM
Didn't you buy the Explorer in the US at a really good price?  Why can't ya get a decent price for it in Canukistan?
Nobody is buying gas guzzlers.  We priced it low and we didn't get a single call.  Fuel prices here have been jumping every couple weeks and it's all over the news that gas is going to be at $1.60 a litre ($6.05 per Gallon) by summer.  That's scaring people away from buying SUVs.  My boss has made a nice little side business out of buying SUVs at auction and selling them privately and he won't buy the SUVs anymore because it takes him forever to offload them.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on May 07, 2012, 12:42:05 PM
FWIW, the G37x ('09+) has moderate to major improvements on the important cons: engine NVH, steering feel and AT performance are all dramatically improved.
I drove the G37 last fall and I had the exact same complaints.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27350.msg1715894#msg1715894 date=1336415164
What about trading the Explorer in on something?
They will only give us $10K for it and that's not worth it to me.  I would rather keep it than give it away.

SVT666

Quote from: HotRodPilot on May 07, 2012, 12:24:47 PM
Boat and house need to go.  Replace with Viper.
That's the first suggestion that actually makes sense.

Payman

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 12:47:49 PM
That's the first suggestion that actually makes sense.

My brother tows his 21' Bayliner with his Viper. The boat has black and silver sides so it looks really cool. Dunno what the tow rating of a Viper is, but he doesn't care.

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on May 07, 2012, 12:14:47 PM
I don't need to justify any of this to you.  I wasn't looking for opinions on if I'm doing the right thing here, because I already know I am.  I really want this BMW.  I want it more than I want to keep my Focus to be quite honest.  Because of this move, the Explorer will be relegated to around town and towing duty which is the ultimate goal.  Doing this, makes our lives much easier, because now I can use the Explorer whenever I need to, which is quite often during the spring and summer (landscaping mostly).  Right now, if I take the Explorer, my wife is house bound and that does not work for us.

Sometimes the best advice is PITA to hear.

With the talk of financing another vehicle and not being able to sell the current vehicle (upside down?), I think people are implicitly picking up on maybe some financial strain and otherwise your ability to afford a 328i, G35x, or the like (even used).

I understand keeping the boat actually; I have friends that live in a similar area to yours (eastern WA - lots of hot weather, lots of water access, kind of in the boonies) and a boat is kind of a big deal.

My suggestion is to keep the Explorer and boat, sell the Focus and buy something with that money, plus maybe a bit more $$$. I think you'll have to compromise a lot on what you should buy: a boring, mundane, moderately used run-of-the-mill AT-equipped 4-cyl mid sizer just like most people.