Time for a new car

Started by SVT666, May 03, 2012, 11:01:13 AM

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on June 12, 2012, 01:31:54 PM
There are loads of technique - anything from the proper line, to loading the chassis/weight transfer, to rev-match downshifts, to strategic use of the throttle and gearing - to aid in increasing the effective grip of tires.

On a constant radius turn, the proper line is pretty simple.  The weight transfer is pretty set, and you shouldn't be downshifting.  You're going to tell me a professional is going to get a time through that section 30-40% better than me?  How do all the schmucks from the car magazines pull close to a 1 g?  You sure don't give me much credit if you think I'd butcher such a simple corner.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Rich

Quote from: SVT666 on June 12, 2012, 01:05:44 PM
It's all I have to have.  Your post was full of fail.  Without going to a track, you can't experience 10/10ths of virtually any car.  If you do, then you're a fucking fool and shouldn't have a license.

I have been on the balance of understeer and oversteer many times in the Miata on all season tires. 
I take it easy under braking since I don't want to overcook a corner and land shiny side down.  I'm not getting 10/10ths of the total performance, but you can bet I'm taking the car to it's handling limits at times, and I enjoy the Miata's at the limits neutrality/feel/balance/chassis/steering. 
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

r0tor

I've beat the piss out of a 335i on the track... It's limits are easy to explore even to a less then great driver.  Leave the stability control on and even your wife can explore limits well above her head (i saw complete ditzs in M3s pull this off at the BMW school)

My guess is just like cougs, your trying to talk yourself into a G because its cheaper and then a month later you will realize its dull, clumsy, and not really all that pretty.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

SVT666

Quote from: r0tor on June 12, 2012, 02:17:27 PM
I've beat the piss out of a 335i on the track... It's limits are easy to explore even to a less then great driver.  Leave the stability control on and even your wife can explore limits well above her head (i saw complete ditzs in M3s pull this off at the BMW school)

My guess is just like cougs, your trying to talk yourself into a G because its cheaper and then a month later you will realize its dull, clumsy, and not really all that pretty.

Not at all.  But, I also don't care what anyone else thinks about why I'm buying a particular car over another.

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on June 12, 2012, 02:04:22 PM
On a constant radius turn, the proper line is pretty simple.  The weight transfer is pretty set, and you shouldn't be downshifting.  You're going to tell me a professional is going to get a time through that section 30-40% better than me?  How do all the schmucks from the car magazines pull close to a 1 g?  You sure don't give me much credit if you think I'd butcher such a simple corner.

My premise was a bit different ("...chronically wring out the last iota of performance...").

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on June 12, 2012, 02:21:05 PM
Not at all.  But, I also don't care what anyone else thinks about why I'm buying a particular car over another.

What, you're not letting your POV be swayed by ironical non-contextual (i.e., from someone who doesn't own a car that can compare to a G) trolling?

Also, anyone who claims the G is "dull" and "clumsy" not only hasn't driven one, that anyone also simply serves as further proof of the unbridled penchant of car enthusiasts to substitute (Internet) bravado for actual knowledge, skill and experience.

MrH

Why do I need to "chronically wring out the last iota of performance" to experience and appreciate a vehicle at 9/10ths?

To say the benefits of a 3-series is only significant then is stupid enough, but then to claim that it's a level of driving that we aren't even capable of achieving?  Come on Cougs.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on June 12, 2012, 03:30:15 PM
Why do I need to "chronically wring out the last iota of performance" to experience and appreciate a vehicle at 9/10ths?

To say the benefits of a 3-series is only significant then is stupid enough, but then to claim that it's a level of driving that we aren't even capable of achieving?  Come on Cougs.

How else can you drive a performance vehicle at 9/10ths if, well, you can't drive it at 9/10ths?

It's not stupid if I say it (= an opinion) and judging by all these anti-G/pro-3er comments, none of you have driven a G, let alone spiritedly; in fact the only two who have driven the G a lot say the two are fairly close.

And yes, I don't think any 'SPINner save for maybe one or two can wring out a 335i or G37 at 9/10ths or greater (and as far as I can tell they're not participating in this thread). Not sure why some of you are offended   :huh:.

Rupert

No, Cougs, the BMW is obviously better. It's a BMW!

I haven't driven either car, and I just think this is a dumb conversation. After all, the only real performance car is the 911!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Northlands

Get the G. They're pretty damn good. I loved the last generation G35 that my mother owned when I took it out from time to time. Great car for the money.

And  :lol: at all of the "Stigs" here!

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

SVT666

Just closed a deal on a car.  I will be flying to Vancouver on Saturday to drive it and if everything is up to standards, I will be driving it home.  

2009 Infiniti G37xS in white and comes with every option available including NAV and aluminum paddle shifters.  The only thing I wasn't crazy about was the mileage.  It has 51,000 miles, but it's a CPO with brand new brakes and tires and there's plenty of warranty left.  It's a lease return that this dealership originally sold and all the maintenance and servicing was done at this dealership.  I got it for $26,980 which is better than I could do even in the US.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on June 12, 2012, 03:49:36 PM
No, Cougs, the BMW is obviously better. It's a BMW!

I haven't driven either car, and I just think this is a dumb conversation. After all, the only real performance car is the 911!
:lol:

Rupert

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when you owned the same car as Cougs! 0_0

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Northlands

Next, Cougs will roll up in a Mustang...  :mask:

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

SVT666

Quote from: Northlands on June 12, 2012, 03:54:04 PM
Get the G. They're pretty damn good. I loved the last generation G35 that my mother owned when I took it out from time to time. Great car for the money.

And  :lol: at all of the "Stigs" here!
Except that it did have that shitty interior.  I wouldn't even say the new one is "good for the money", it's just plain very good.  Not quite as good as the 3er in some respects, just as good in others, and better in others.  It's also bigger, but not too big.  The 3er is too small, whereas the G is perfect.  The lower price of the G also makes you look at the 3er and shake your head.

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on June 12, 2012, 04:02:02 PM
Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when you owned the same car as Cougs! 0_0

Mine's better.   :tounge:

SVT666

Quote from: Northlands on June 12, 2012, 04:02:51 PM
Next, Cougs will roll up in a Mustang...  :mask:
Hardly the same thing.  I would have to roll up in a Camaro for that comparison to make sense.

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

r0tor

Quote from: GoCougs on June 12, 2012, 03:20:39 PM
What, you're not letting your POV be swayed by ironical non-contextual (i.e., from someone who doesn't own a car that can compare to a G) trolling?

Also, anyone who claims the G is "dull" and "clumsy" not only hasn't driven one, that anyone also simply serves as further proof of the unbridled penchant of car enthusiasts to substitute (Internet) bravado for actual knowledge, skill and experience.

Yes, it is truely a magical experience I have never had... you know, driving 15 minutes to the rental car lot and getting a G37 for a business trip
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: thecarnut on June 12, 2012, 04:51:35 PM
Congratulations!
Thanks, but it's not done yet.  I still have to drive it and make sure everything is good.

CALL_911

Quote from: SVT666 on June 12, 2012, 04:47:48 PM
Yes.

Hell yeah. Congrats man, hope it works out (which I'm sure it will).

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Is this your first non-American car?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

SVT666

Quote from: CALL_911 on June 12, 2012, 05:08:43 PM
Is this your first non-American car?
I was thinking about that earlier and it is...kinda.  I had a 1989 Civic for a very short time.  Very short.  Like a week and a half, and then someone offered me $500 more than I paid for it and I sold it.  Then I bought a 1991 GMC pickup.

Laconian

El Focus es hecho en Mexico!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Rich

Congrats.  I like everything 'bout it, 'cept for the faint feature line in the rear 1/4 panel that curves down toward the bumper.

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

GoCougs

Quote from: SVT666 on June 12, 2012, 04:04:17 PM
Except that it did have that shitty interior.  I wouldn't even say the new one is "good for the money", it's just plain very good.  Not quite as good as the 3er in some respects, just as good in others, and better in others.  It's also bigger, but not too big.  The 3er is too small, whereas the G is perfect.  The lower price of the G also makes you look at the 3er and shake your head.

Did? How do you know it's already beat up? But yeah, at 51k it most likely will be beat up, especially if it's the wheat/stone or taupe interior (most common w/white).

About MY2009. There were moderate upgrades in MY2010 - better interior switchgear (doors), better seat heater controls (7 settings rather than just hi/low), less garish gauges (no more goofy blue), better looking white LCD readout (no more goofy red), better climate control, better iPod/iPhone integration (there have been problems with the '09 actually even working with iPhones), streaming Bluetooth audio, updated NAV unit, better AT performance.

About the "sport" model. The ground effects hang down low, which was a bit of a  :facepalm:  for the AWD model and ride quality (and snow prowess) decreases with the 18" wheels (I passed on the S model because of this). Other than this maybe bigger brakes all you get is the paddle shifters.

About the warranty. At least in the US, it's 4 yrs/60k for bumper-to-bumper, so it's just about up for that car. Perhaps it has the extended factory warranty (but those are sorta worthless anyway).

MX793

I was talking with a BMW owner at the autoX this past weekend and he mentioned that not only is the water pump considered a "maintenance item" to be replaced at 60K miles (which I've heard before), but apparently the whole fracking radiator needs to be replaced after 60K miles because it also somehow wears out.  That right there is reason enough for me to never buy a used BMW.  Or even a new BMW.  It's bad enough that they apparently can't build a water pump that will last 100K miles like pretty much every other carmaker can, but they can't even make a radiator that will last more than 60K miles?  And this from a company that prides itself in engineering excellence?  What a joke.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MX793

And congrats on the new car!
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5