"Truly Overrated"

Started by 2o6, May 06, 2012, 10:02:38 PM

thewizard16

Quote from: 2o6 on May 06, 2012, 10:10:53 PM

Journalists overlook the crap fuel economy, cheap interior and slow performance because it "drives well" and they continue to hand it the driving victory over cars like the Fiesta, 2 and Sonic.

I've driven one. It's not all that special. Doesn't feel all that much sharper than my car to drive.
We are 100% in agreement on this. I hated it as the Honda Jazz (a few years before we got the "new" Honda Fit), and it's still a craptastically cheap and unpleasant car as the Fit.

Quote from: 2o6 on May 11, 2012, 06:33:02 PM
Everyone rips on the GTO. It looks like a Cavalier.
Now I 100% disagree. The GTO isn't as "HEY LOOK AT ME!" as a lot of sports cars, but it's a very nice car and certainly looks nowhere as cheap or dowdy as a Cavalier.

Quote from: Madman on May 09, 2012, 09:11:15 AM
Most of the best selling names out there are truly overrated.

Camry, Civic, Accord, Altima, Corolla, etc.  Every last one is a prime example of middle-of-the-road mediocrity.

:rage:

(In the spirit of our posts in the clothing and style thread :lol:)
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

hounddog

Quote from: SVT666 on May 11, 2012, 10:53:55 PM
The G37 isn't overrated and neither is the Prius.  Everything else I agree with.
G37, maybe not I dunno as I see almost zero of them.  :huh:

The Prius IS overrated because of how long it takes to pay for itself, that it is a loser in comparisons:  Prius vs. BMW 520d and Prius vs. Jetta TDI

It loses in passenger comfort, handling, performance, ride noise, price, cost to operate, nickle mining for the batteries, etc. 

Prius v TDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_DunEDBoEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xYZu1wy-lM&feature=related

Prius v BMW 520d
http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/03/17/toyota-prius-is-a-gas-guzzler-compared-to-the-bmw-520d/
http://goodcleantech.pcmag.com/automotive/281082-bmw-beats-prius-in-mpgs

Yes, it gets good mileage.  However, beyond that the car is just an aweful thing using every measurable metric.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 2o6 on May 11, 2012, 06:36:13 PM
No, the GTO really does look like a Cavalier. If I'm not really paying attention, I get them confused.

You can't be serious. And all this time I had you pegged for a car enthusiast.

TurboDan

I agree with HD. If you're not an aging hippie who wants to impress your friends when you meet up at a vegetarian restaurant in San Francisco, there is no reason to buy a Prius whatsoever.

CJ

The Prius really is a pretty good vehicle.  It's extremely spacious, pretty well built, and relatively inexpensive.  We don't GET the 520d, so the Jetta TDI is its only real  competition.  The Jetta does get great gas mileage, but the interior has too many compromises.  The Sportwagen TDI is the perfect mix of fuel efficiency, space, and build quality, but the Prius does the same thing for the same money.

2o6

Quote from: TurboDan on May 12, 2012, 10:18:31 AM
I agree with HD. If you're not an aging hippie who wants to impress your friends when you meet up at a vegetarian restaurant in San Francisco, there is no reason to buy a Prius whatsoever.

Although the Prius has compromises in performance and space (compared to a midsizer) it's better on gas.

And the Prius C is a very, very good value. 53 city, 46 highway economy numbers. Compare that to the Sonic 1.8L, which offers far worse economy and similar performance and space numbers. The Prius C is only 2K or so more expensive.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: TurboDan on May 12, 2012, 10:18:31 AM

Automotive choices are never 100% logical anyway. I'd rather someone show off in a fuel sipping Prius than a gas guzzling Escalade.

A smart enthusiast should want every unthusiast to be driving the smallest, most fuel efficient car possible. Why waste oil on the philistines?

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

The GTO was awesome.  Anyone who rips on it has never driven one, period.  It's one of the most underrated cars in recent memory.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

hounddog

Quote from: CJ on May 12, 2012, 10:36:42 AM
The Prius really is a pretty good vehicle.  It's extremely spacious, pretty well built, and relatively inexpensive.  We don't GET the 520d, so the Jetta TDI is its only real  competition.  The Jetta does get great gas mileage, but the interior has too many compromises.  The Sportwagen TDI is the perfect mix of fuel efficiency, space, and build quality, but the Prius does the same thing for the same money.
We may not get the 520d here, but, the rest of the world does get it.

Since the US accounts for only about 4.5% of the world populace, that we do not get the car is irrelevant to this portion of the discussion.

And, I think it would be pretty hard for you to find many people who would actually prefer the clunky interior of the Prius over the far more refined Jetta. 

I have yet to find ANY comparos where the testers prefered the Prius for anything other then city fuel economy.

I would tend to agree the Jetta TDI wagon would be a more useful choice if one was looking to haul larger items.  In fact, there is one in town for sale and it looks pretty nice, and quite large considering it is considered a small platform.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 12, 2012, 10:51:06 AM
Automotive choices are never 100% logical anyway. I'd rather someone show off in a fuel sipping Prius than a gas guzzling Escalade.

A smart enthusiast should want every unthusiast to be driving the smallest, most fuel efficient car possible. Why waste oil on the philistines?

No, because then companies would only sell that type of product.

GoCougs

Quote from: Raza  on May 12, 2012, 12:30:41 PM
The GTO was awesome.  Anyone who rips on it has never driven one, period.  It's one of the most underrated cars in recent memory.

Big power but it was expensive ($33k msrp in 2005 is equivalent to almost $40k today), sorta flimsy and wasn't much of a (distinguished) looker.

SVT666

The styling of the GTO wasn't great, I agree.  It was way too subdued.  The handling was good, but it wasn't great.  The wallowy 300C handled better according to the mags, but the power was fantastic.  I still kinda want one.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on May 13, 2012, 10:28:17 AM
The wallowy 300C handled better according to the mags

Seriously?

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Payman

Quote from: 68_427 on May 13, 2012, 11:06:12 AM
No

Actually, IIRC, when C&D did a direct comparo between the two in '05, they said the 300C was the better handler.

CJ

Quote from: hounddog on May 13, 2012, 07:02:39 AM
We may not get the 520d here, but, the rest of the world does get it.

Since the US accounts for only about 4.5% of the world populace, that we do not get the car is irrelevant to this portion of the discussion.

And, I think it would be pretty hard for you to find many people who would actually prefer the clunky interior of the Prius over the far more refined Jetta. 

I have yet to find ANY comparos where the testers prefered the Prius for anything other then city fuel economy.

I would tend to agree the Jetta TDI wagon would be a more useful choice if one was looking to haul larger items.  In fact, there is one in town for sale and it looks pretty nice, and quite large considering it is considered a small platform.

Considering that the US (You know, the country we live in) doesn't get the 520d, I'd say it's perfectly relevant for this discussion. 

The new Jetta's interior is pretty shit, which is reason enough for me to buy a Prius over a Jetta. 

LonghornTX

Quote from: SVT666 on May 13, 2012, 10:28:17 AM
The styling of the GTO wasn't great, I agree.  It was way too subdued.  The handling was good, but it wasn't great.  The wallowy 300C handled better according to the mags, but the power was fantastic.  I still kinda want one.
My roommate had an LS2 model for awhile that I got to drive a few times. It was a cool car, pretty fast and with a nice interior. Especially nice back seat that was only lacking a center arm rest. We took it from Austin to Houston, with me in the back (6'0/185lbs) and my other roommate, who was of equal, in the front passenger. My knees didn't even touch.

Handling wise, it was alright. The rear diff didn't particularly lock very well and it was kind of floaty. The shifter straight up sucked. I mean really really bad. And the pedals were very poorly positioned.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on May 12, 2012, 12:30:41 PM

Definitely.  Blisteringly quick, great handling, and built very well. The only Pontiac I may like better is the G8, though they are somewhat different in purpose.

LonghornTX

Quote from: S204STi on May 13, 2012, 03:14:42 PM
Definitely.  Blisteringly quick, great handling, and built very well. The only Pontiac I may like better is the G8, though they are somewhat different in purpose.
I would be cautious to say it was a great handling car, especially with the stock tires and suspension. That car with better tires would probably be a lot better, but it still had a fair amount of BR in corners. The GTO was also too quiet with stock exhaust, for having such a nice engine.

The G8 is nice (I never got to drive a GXP), but the GT definitely felt like it had less soul than the GTO.
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

ifcar

Quote from: CJ on May 13, 2012, 12:48:07 PM
Considering that the US (You know, the country we live in) doesn't get the 520d, I'd say it's perfectly relevant for this discussion. 

The new Jetta's interior is pretty shit, which is reason enough for me to buy a Prius over a Jetta. 

Not the wagon's.

CJ

Quote from: ifcar on May 13, 2012, 05:45:50 PM
Not the wagon's.

I know.  The wagon's interior is extremely nice.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: S204STi on May 13, 2012, 03:14:42 PM
:cheers:
Quote from: LonghornTX on May 13, 2012, 03:27:31 PM
The GTO was also too quiet with stock exhaust, for having such a nice engine.
Same goes for my G8.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 13, 2012, 07:06:04 AM

No, because then companies would only sell that type of product.

Wrong.

Crossovers, midsize sedans, minivans, SUVs, and trucks are not suited for enthusiasts either. And they sell a lot more of those than sporty cars.

Laconian

The Prius delivers on its fuel efficient premises moreso than any other hybrid. The interior is *enormous* and smartly laid out. The transmission is ingenious. I think it's a sweet car, it's just not a car that I would want. There are so many other cars that are more deserving of my scorn than the dorky Prius.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Raza

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 13, 2012, 03:27:31 PM
I would be cautious to say it was a great handling car, especially with the stock tires and suspension. That car with better tires would probably be a lot better, but it still had a fair amount of BR in corners. The GTO was also too quiet with stock exhaust, for having such a nice engine.

The G8 is nice (I never got to drive a GXP), but the GT definitely felt like it had less soul than the GTO.

Remember, the LS1 and LS2 GTOs acted quite differently.  The LS2 was louder, sharper, and better to drive than the more subdued LS1 version.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Xer0

I?d say anything Kia/Hyundai these days is overrated.

rohan

Quote from: Rockraven on May 13, 2012, 11:37:18 AM
Actually, IIRC, when C&D did a direct comparo between the two in '05, they said the 300C was the better handler.
They were full of shit then- I drive the Charger for work and I owned the '05 and the GTO had better handling prowess.  And Jeremy Clarkson agrees- loved the GTO hated the LX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680X8C5E1YY&feature=related
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Payman

Quote from: rohan on May 14, 2012, 07:39:33 PM
They were full of shit then- I drive the Charger for work and I owned the '05 and the GTO had better handling prowess.  And Jeremy Clarkson agrees- loved the GTO hated the LX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=680X8C5E1YY&feature=related

Oh well then, if Jeremy Clarkson agrees...

MX793

I recall seeing a comparo in one of the major US mags (might have been MotorTrend) where an LX car trumped the GTO in most performance categories.  However, the LX car was wearing wide, summer performance tires while the GTO had narrower all-seasons, and the difference in performance (braking, skidpad, etc) were well within the margins of what better tires could get you.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5