So I am driving an Audi Q7 for a week

Started by SJ_GTI, May 07, 2012, 01:58:15 PM

SJ_GTI

Today I had to drop off my 2010 S4 at the dealership. The 3rd gear syncronizer is wearing (worn?) out so they are replacing it (mechanic thinks it was defective from the factory, every other gear is fine). Its the first problem I've had with the car, but it seems like its a big one.

Anyway for a loaner all they had available for a Q7 (black on black). In the past I have had the option of taking a Q7, but normally if they had a smaller car available I took the smaller car.

It's actually not a bad SUV to drive. Handling is obviously not as sharp as my car, but its nothing like a truck or other SUV's I have driven (Honda Pilot, Toyota RAV4, Chevy Traverse, GMC Yukon, etc...). It has the 3.6L V6, which I figured would be a bit overmatched for an SUV this big, but it actually has decent acceleration. I love the way the engine sounds as well...I think it actually sounds better then the supercharged V6 in my S4.

The interior was smaller then I expected. It looks huge from the outside, but on the inside there really isn't room for more then 5 people (4 comfortably). Obviously it has a lot more cargo room then a car, but for passengers its probably not much different then an A6. It seems to have all the same features as my S4 (Nav, Bluetooth, etc...), although not surprisingly I very much prefer the sport seats in my S4.

Overall I am kind of glad I ended up getting the Q7. I should have my S4 back by Friday, but in the meantime its kind of nice to try out something a bit different.

68_427

My friend's dad got an S4 when his '07 A6 went in for service.  <3 that thing.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on May 07, 2012, 02:02:24 PM
My friend's dad got an S4 when his '07 A6 went in for service.  <3 that thing.

My brother's is amazing.  I really love the S4, even though I'm not an AWD guy.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

Hah, whenever my moms A4 is in the shop, we've always gotten shitboxes from Hertz. Last time we got a Corolla, which was about as big a turd as anything made after 2000 should be.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

Nice! I've always wanted to drive a Q7 just to see what it's like. I normally get stuck with FWD A4's, but I got a Q5 one time. I'm surprised they gave you such an expensive loaner. I'm looking forward to see how the next generation Q7 turns out.

I absolutely love the sound of my car's V6--the growl is just amazing. I wonder how it compares to the S4.

AltinD

Quote from: SJ_GTI on May 07, 2012, 01:58:15 PM... It has the 3.6L V6, which I figured would be a bit overmatched for an SUV this big, but it actually has decent acceleration. I love the way the engine sounds as well...I think it actually sounds better then the supercharged V6 in my S4...

That's because it's actually a 15 degree VW VR6 engine  :devil:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

CJ

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 07, 2012, 02:19:33 PM
Hah, whenever my moms A4 is in the shop, we've always gotten shitboxes from Hertz. Last time we got a Corolla, which was about as big a turd as anything made after 2000 should be.

My brother has a 2012 Corolla right now.  He says it's a complete turd with no redeeming qualities.

GoCougs

R&T had the M/T go out in their long term S4 tester at 16k miles. Non warranty cost is $5,800!

This article prompted me to peruse various S4 boards, and yup lots of M/T issues on the B8 S5; it was one of the chief reasons I steered clear of the the S4.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: GoCougs on May 07, 2012, 10:43:47 PM
R&T had the M/T go out in their long term S4 tester at 16k miles. Non warranty cost is $5,800!

This article prompted me to peruse various S4 boards, and yup lots of M/T issues on the B8 S5; it was one of the chief reasons I steered clear of the the S4.

Please tell me, did Road and Track pay for that, or did the warranty cover it? Also, does the non-warranty cost mean anything at all, be it that the repair is covered under the warranty?

cawimmer430

Do you have a girlfriend? Because that Q7 will convince her it's time to start a family with you. Say goodbye to that S4 and hello to a Nissan Quest minivan (or if you want something sportier get a Mercedes R63 AMG - if you can find one!)!  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 08, 2012, 01:34:31 AM
Please tell me, did Road and Track pay for that, or did the warranty cover it? Also, does the non-warranty cost mean anything at all, be it that the repair is covered under the warranty?

I imagine the point of citing the non-warranty cost is to give a sense of what an owner would pay if it happened later in the car's life: a lot.

CALL_911

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on May 08, 2012, 01:34:31 AM

I guess I see your point. You know, when something like that goes wrong when the car is out of warranty, why would anyone give a shit about the non-warranty cost?

Seriously?

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 08, 2012, 08:43:30 AM
I guess I see your point. You know, when something like that goes wrong when the car is out of warranty, why would anyone give a shit about the non-warranty cost?

Seriously?

When your tranny goes at 23k miles, it portends of a design or systemic problem, and that you'll have a much higher likelihood of replacing it (on your dime) in the not-so-distant future; in short, ownership costs are major factor for many people (and German cars have a horrible reputation for such things).

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on May 08, 2012, 08:53:23 AM
When your tranny goes at 23k miles, it portends of a design or systemic problem, and that you'll have a much higher likelihood of replacing it (on your dime) in the not-so-distant future; in short, ownership costs are major factor for many people (and German cars have a horrible reputation for such things).

As long as I've been alive, my family has had tons of VWs and Audis, and I can't recall one ever needing the tranny replaced up to circa 150K miles when they're usually traded in. The only car that's ever needed one was my mom's Dodge SUV. ;)

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on May 08, 2012, 08:53:23 AM

Yeah, I agree with you.

That said, I'd still buy an S4.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

CALL_911

Quote from: TurboDan on May 08, 2012, 08:56:04 AM
As long as I've been alive, my family has had tons of VWs and Audis, and I can't recall one ever needing the tranny replaced up to circa 150K miles when they're usually traded in. The only car that's ever needed one was my mom's Dodge SUV. ;)

Dude, he isn't just talking about trannys. He's talking about shit breaking as the cars age. You can't deny that European cars are pretty bad in that regard.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 08, 2012, 08:58:53 AM
Yeah, I agree with you.

That said, I'd still buy an S4.

The S4 is a fantastic car. Some (many?) carry on about the sky-high price tag but when all is said and done it has 98% M3 performance for less-than-M3 money, and has AWD practicality and nicer amenities/comfort to boot. I desperately tried to convince myself to buy one but my practical side won out (relatively drama-free ownership for ~5 yrs/75k miles was highly unlikely).

SJ_GTI

I hear what you are saying regarding European/German cars and cost of ownership. However, for me personally, this is my third VW/Audi product (first an A4, then the GTI, then my current car) and its the first major repair on any of them. My younger brother still has the GTI FWIW.

Based on what you posted it does sound like there was something inherently wrong with the transmission. FWIW, the problem, as expensive as it is to fix, was barely noticable. I didn't even bring it in when it first happened, I brought it in during a regularly scheduled oil change. One of the nice things about having an Audi (and this is true for most premium brands) is that they give you a loaner for everything. Even when I just drop it off for an oil change, I still get a loaner for the day. In this case they expect to have it for about a week (hopefully done by friday, but early next week at the latest) and I get to drive a Q7 in the mean time so I am not too bothered by it. I haven't really started thinking about my next new car (at least another 2-3 years away) but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Audi, or European make in general.

Anyway on the second day of Q7 driving, and I am still digging it. The engine note is definitely my favorite part BTW. The S4's engine is much more muted.

The seats I am not digging. I never realized how much I like the side bolsters on sport seats. I don't feel like I am being held in place with these seats.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: TurboDan on May 08, 2012, 08:56:04 AM
Considering there are now two examples of low mileage S4's in this thread alone with transmission problems, I'd say it's a valid concern...
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MexicoCityM3

If you got such a nice loaner and a warranty fix, I see no reason to worry. It is very likely that Audi by now has done something to fix that problem for good.

The S4 is really nice, upper level Audis do a much better job of competing with their BMW peers than the base models.

I?d have considered an S4 but I was able to get the E90 for a steal and it actually cost me less to buy than a same-year new S4. So it was a no brainer. But were I shopping today I?d seriously consider an S4 over a 335i or an M3 (the latter because of the large price differential).

You guys worry too much about german car reliability. What I have found is that if anything, M-cars are more reliable than "regular" cars. Everything is reinforced and sturdier. For example, the suspension bushings on the E46 M3 last a loooooong time compared to a regular E46.

My E46 is now at 50k miles, has been out of warranty for 4 years and I couldn?t be happier. Maintenance costs have been reasonable, car is running as strong as new and this having seen at least 3k miles of TRACK driving.

The E90 is at 30K miles, one year out of warranty. Maintenance costs so far only regular items, no problems whatsoever. At all. Also probably around 1k miles of track driving in this one.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

cawimmer430

The ownership costs of a German car (sans government taxes) are pretty decent on our end. I mean my family drives German cars and we've never had any major issues on them. We keep our cars 10 years+ and to about 200,000+ km and we've never had to replace a transmission etc. Basic maintenance coupled to scheduled maintenance check-ups and the cars will last long.

Even the 500SL of my father has been very reliable. It's almost at 200,000 km now and has never needed any major repairs. The only thing that needs a check up every 50,000 km or so is the mechanical roof depending on how often it is used and that's merely to make sure that everything is aligned properly. Mechanically the car has never given us any major trouble. Fouled-up spark plugs aren't a reliability issue IMO because the car was stored for nearly two years in a damp garage.

And if you can't afford to pay for the maintenance of any car, then don't buy a damn car. I swear all over the Internet you have some people who "own" a $ 300,000 Ferrari and bitch about a $ 2,000 oil change. Yeah, as if they couldn't afford it. :facepalm:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

My previous Passat had the 4 A/T replaced twice. I didn't pay a cent for either, but the while the first was a by-result of an accident that punctured the radiator leaking coolant and probably sending debris into the transmission, the second time was ... I don't know/remember, they just replaced it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: AltinD on May 09, 2012, 06:58:23 AM
My previous Passat had the 4 A/T replaced twice. I didn't pay a cent for either, but the while the first was a by-result of an accident that punctured the radiator leaking coolant and probably sending debris into the transmission, the second time was ... I don't know/remember, they just replaced it.

What a POS. Should have bought a Camry or an Accord.  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

TurboDan

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 09, 2012, 11:13:52 AM

LOL. My B5.5 Passat's transmission was rowing through gears beautifully at 155K miles. Of anything one could criticize about these cars, the autobox is the LAST thing. Just shows the ignorant anti-German bias.

cawimmer430

Quote from: TurboDan on May 10, 2012, 01:22:14 AM
LOL. My B5.5 Passat's transmission was rowing through gears beautifully at 155K miles. Of anything one could criticize about these cars, the autobox is the LAST thing. Just shows the ignorant anti-German bias.

Or some weird attitude towards European cars in general. The funny comments that always crack me up are the folks who:

...would get a Porsche because they're reliable and thus "cheap to maintain"...  :facepalm:  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 09, 2012, 11:13:52 AM

During the times It stayed in the shop for the first time problem (2 times, once in the garage that repaired my car after the accident, and then on VW dealer when the transmition was replaced), I got as replacement a Chevy Caprice (Holden Statemen) with the LS V8 250 - 280 HP, and then a special edition VW Golf 1.6 with 105HP. Guess what I enjoyed the most :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: AltinD on May 11, 2012, 04:28:27 AM
During the times It stayed in the shop for the first time problem (2 times, once in the garage that repaired my car after the accident, and then on VW dealer when the transmition was replaced), I got as replacement a Chevy Caprice (Holden Statemen) with the LS V8 250 - 280 HP, and then a special edition VW Golf 1.6 with 105HP. Guess what I enjoyed the most :lol:

The Golf!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 11, 2012, 07:31:30 AM
The Golf!

If the Caprice would have been a 1970s one with the Custom Sedan option package, you would have guessed differently.

SJ_GTI

Just dropped off the Q7 and picked up my S4. Transmissions feel like new, plus they detailed the car.  :cheers:

It was interesting driving an SUV for a week, but man I am glad to have my car back. I really missing rowing through the gears myself, not to mention the difference in handling, power, etc...

Still amazed at how much quieter the engine is in my car. I really liked the way the engine sounded in the Q7, so I think I have to figure out a way to get a little more noise to come out of my car's exhaust.  :devil:

GoCougs

I too have been thinking of an exhaust upgrade but based on pretty much every YouTube video most any aftermarket system is simply way too loud or drones - I want maybe at best 5-10% more sound, and no droning. I also want to retain the stock exhaust tips - the big chromed fart can tips ain't for me either.