Interesting counterpoint on the ATS

Started by sportyaccordy, May 07, 2012, 02:12:00 PM

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on June 25, 2012, 09:45:59 PM
The "English"?
Yea, Jag has the best interiors in the business

Quote from: AltinD on June 26, 2012, 04:11:16 AM
Should he have said the Indians and Germans instead?
Did something get lost in translation here

2o6

Forgot Jaguar existed.

First thought came to mind was Roewe.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on June 26, 2012, 07:11:26 AM
Forgot Jaguar existed.

ROEWE?????????????????????????

Xer0

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 25, 2012, 06:39:30 PM
Looking forward to that. Shame they cheaped out to the point you can detect it. They need these cars to be winners.

I don?t think the XTS is meant to be a permanent model in Cadillac?s lineup but more of a stop-gap until a true flagship comes out.  At least for their sake I hope so.

MrH

Quote from: Submariner on June 25, 2012, 02:24:12 PM
I saw/sat in an XTS today.  I'll save a full review for when I have time, but my most immediate thoughts are:

- It's not as ill proportioned as I thought it would be.  Pictures led me to believe it would suffer from the same bloat that the Lincoln MKS does, and that the super short nose would look silly.  From the side, it's not too bad, but looking at it from the front 3/4ths isn't terribly flattering.  The same goes for the rear.  It was, however, better than expected.  I suspect the smallish, cheap looking wheels took away from the overall effect.  The 20's I've seen in press photos look much better.

- The interior isn't that special once you get past the center stack and the TFT instrument cluster.  Everything at eye level - air vents, center console, the dash, door pulls, etc look and feel great, but it's evident they cheeped out on everything below your thighs.  It's almost as if they went to Gucci for  the top half, and Ikea for the bottom.  The seats just felt weird, they could use a few extra inches of padding all around, and the seat controls felt like they came straight out of an old TrailBlazer.  Other details bothered me too.  The hooks for the rear sunshades, for example, were a cheap and visible blemish on the doors, and the overhead console looked and felt second rate.

It's frustrating to see, really.  It's like they spent countless hours getting the big details right (the overall design, the slick infotainment system, etc) then got lazy and said "to hell with it" when faced with designing the small things.  It's what puts the Germans, English and Japanese in a class above this - they get it all right, not just the big details.

Is it a bad car?  Not at all, and FWIW, I didn't drive it, but it was a mixture of fantastic visual stimuli and numerous, small letdowns.  I may be able to drive one next week, so I'll post a more extensive review then. 

You...uh... want to bother explaining why it was so cheap?

Or is this just like how the materials looked cheap on the 3D rendering? :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

sportyaccordy

I just read in Bloomberg Business Weekly how some movers refuse to guarantee safe passage for Ikea furniture. They should just make it out of granola, so after the year or so of functionality it gives you can eat it.

TurboDan

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 26, 2012, 06:45:50 AM
Did something get lost in translation here

I think he's referring to the fact that Tata Motors (an Indian company) owns a majority stake in Jag at the moment. It's still a British-run company, though. I don't believe Tata has much to do with the operational aspects of the business on a day-to-day basis.

SVT666

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 26, 2012, 09:35:18 AM
I just read in Bloomberg Business Weekly how some movers refuse to guarantee safe passage for Ikea furniture. They should just make it out of granola, so after the year or so of functionality it gives you can eat it.
I don't know, we have some Ikea stuff that we had for about 10 years or so and it's still as good as the day we bought it.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on June 26, 2012, 07:11:26 AM
Forgot Jaguar existed.

What?  Roewe?  Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover didn't come to mind?

68_427

Quote from: MrH on June 26, 2012, 08:46:28 AM

He does drive a Jag XJ...
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Raza

I've had my stuff for a year and a half.  Other than the hardware on my bed falling out on one side (I just removed it, much happier now sleeping lower anyway) and a dropped watch putting a divot in my coffee table, it's all holding up fine.  It looks good and was cheap (although it must be said I didn't get my sofas or mattress from there), so who cares that it's particle board and a veneer?  I'm a man; should I ever enter a serious relationship, the chick will throw out all my shit anyway, buy throw pillows, tea lights, and potpourri. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 26, 2012, 08:29:21 AM
ROEWE?????????????????????????

Yeah, which is why I was going to ask what planet he is on if he think a Roewe is better than a Cadillac.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Raza  on June 26, 2012, 11:51:40 AM
I've had my stuff for a year and a half.  Other than the hardware on my bed falling out on one side (I just removed it, much happier now sleeping lower anyway) and a dropped watch putting a divot in my coffee table, it's all holding up fine.  It looks good and was cheap (although it must be said I didn't get my sofas or mattress from there), so who cares that it's particle board and a veneer?  I'm a man; should I ever enter a serious relationship, the chick will throw out all my shit anyway, buy throw pillows, tea lights, and potpourri. 
Both me and my old roommate destroyed two copies of the same bed, as well as 2 dressers. To be fair though, that was when I was moving once a year. I think the deal w/Ikea is its OK, if you don't move it. But I move.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: 2o6 on June 26, 2012, 12:31:52 PM

Yeah, which is why I was going to ask what planet he is on if he think a Roewe is better than a Cadillac.
ROEUWUE isnt even a luxury brand. They dont even consider Roequwe a luxury car in its own country.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on June 26, 2012, 12:31:52 PM

Ok, but what kind of twisted mind thinks first of Roewe, when he hears the phrase "British car"?

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 26, 2012, 02:12:46 PM
Both me and my old roommate destroyed two copies of the same bed, as well as 2 dressers. To be fair though, that was when I was moving once a year. I think the deal w/Ikea is its OK, if you don't move it. But I move.

Yeah, I didn't even move it to my apartment.  I had all my shit delivered, then I built it there. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 26, 2012, 02:15:48 PM
Ok, but what kind of twisted mind thinks first of Roewe, when he hears the phrase "British car"?

My first thought is always of the Morris Marina.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

sportyaccordy

My first thought is a Jag XJS that blinks the highbeams and brake lights when you hit the turn signals.

Submariner

Quote from: 2o6 on June 25, 2012, 09:45:59 PM
The "English"?

Jaguar?

I mean, it's owned by Tata, but w/e it's still a British car. 
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Submariner

Quote from: MrH on June 26, 2012, 08:46:28 AM

Like I said, I'll elaborate more when I have the time.

The materials felt second rate.  I don't know how to describe it other than that. 

Submariner

I broke my girlfriends Ikea bed three days after she got it. 

Shoddy stuff.