Driverless cars and how they would change motoring

Started by Morris Minor, May 13, 2012, 09:57:53 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 29, 2012, 06:01:47 AM
I have repeatedly said we need to improve driver training.

Yep. Teach people that when there are others trying to get unto a freeway, they should move to the left lane if possible to allow them to merge.

Likewise, if that isn't possible, the people trying to get unto a freeway should simply wait for the right moment. How hard can it be...  ;)

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 29, 2012, 08:16:27 AM
Yep. Teach people that when there are others trying to get unto a freeway, they should move to the left lane if possible to allow them to merge.

Likewise, if that isn't possible, the people trying to get unto a freeway should simply wait for the right moment. How hard can it be...  ;)

I would rather people camp in the right lane than the left. If people are in the left lane I can't pass them. Even in NYC there are very few highways where it is hard to merge.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 29, 2012, 08:28:22 AM
I would rather people camp in the right lane than the left. If people are in the left lane I can't pass them. Even in NYC there are very few highways where it is hard to merge.

How many lanes is a freeway in the US? I'm assuming anything from two to four lanes, right? Here in Europe on a two-lane highway, motorists on the slow lane will temporarily move unto the fast lane (if possible) to allow other motorists to merge unto the highway. Once this has occurred, the motorists who let the others in will move back unto the slow lane.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 29, 2012, 08:32:52 AM
How many lanes is a freeway in the US? I'm assuming anything from two to four lanes, right? Here in Europe on a two-lane highway, motorists on the slow lane will temporarily move unto the fast lane (if possible) to allow other motorists to merge unto the highway. Once this has occurred, the motorists who let the others in will move back unto the slow lane.
Our highways are about 3-4 lanes, generally. The two lane highways here are pretty low volume, so needing space to merge is not a big concern.

Here, generally on big roads you have 3 lanes. I ride in the middle lane most of the time, with a big gap between me and the car ahead. The left lane is for speeders and passing, the right lane is for exiting/merging. A lot of times though, people will drive side by side in the left and middle lanes, preventing people from passing. Its a big pet peeve of mine.

Tave

The vast majority of interstate highways in the US are 2 lanes, but they grow to 3+ around cities and large metropolitan areas. Drivers are generally required to move left when able to make room for traffic merging onto the road from an onramp, although it is not uncommon for drivers to ignore that rule of the road.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.