GMness

Started by 280Z Turbo, May 14, 2012, 02:13:13 PM

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on May 15, 2012, 10:21:03 AM
It's as fast or faster than all of those, but it's certainly not as good.  There's more to these cars than just speed.  You have to live with them every day.  The RS is most likely a little too hardcore though.
The R8 is the only one that I would say is a better DD than the Vette. And plenty of Auto Mags have said the Corvette is great as a DD. Most of the guys on the Vette forums that moved up from the Z06 said they prefer the ZR1 as a DD!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2012, 03:06:52 PM
Yup. Suspension design is engineering, which takes an enormous amount of time to do right. One also has to remember that the chassis itself is a suspension member, which adds to the complexity of the task.

Then you have to throw in what the clientele wants, and roads of different markets, tires, engine variants, and a lot more stuff.

Cookie Monster

Nah man, just throw some variables in matlab and bam you have a competent suspension design. Sporty is always right and obviously those huge car manufacturers don't know what they're doing.

:facepalm:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT_Power

Quote from: thecarnut on May 15, 2012, 04:39:09 PM
Nah man, just throw some variables in matlab and bam you have a competent suspension design. Sporty is always right and obviously those huge car manufacturers don't know what they're doing.

:facepalm:

The sarcasm is strong with this one
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

GMness?  Do you mean awesomeness?

Vinsanity

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on May 15, 2012, 03:33:37 PM
How can you say the CTS-V is not a flagship? It's the best performing and most expensive vehicle in Cadillacs line up!

It's not a flagship in the same vein as the Merc S-class and BMW 7, which is the flagship that Cadillac needs in order for them to tell the rest of the luxury world, "I have arrived" (or rather, "I'm back")

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 15, 2012, 02:00:31 PM
For a normal car its not hard at all. Make the springs somewhat soft, keep the low speed damping high to remove floatiness, tune mid + high speed damping appropriately

If you start with a shit chassis theres nothing you can do. But w/a decent chassis (shell, stiffness wise), for something in this class its really not difficult.

:wtf:

You can't be serious.  It's posts like these, I'm convinced there's no way you're an engineer man.  Don't mean to be insulting, but COME ON!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

MrH

Quote from: 2o6 on May 15, 2012, 02:03:41 PM

I dont want t sound like MrH, but you can't possibly be saying that.

Otherwise automotive mules and testing would be irrelevant.

Nothing wrong with trying to sound right.  :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

It took me a month and two other people to get the suspension tuning on one of my Aviva's for Racer. And that's a VIDEO GAME.

Eye of the Tiger

It took me a few hours to tune the suspension on my Civic and start winning STS class autocross. That's not fair, though, cuz driver skill...
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on May 15, 2012, 09:03:12 PM
:wtf:

You can't be serious.  It's posts like these, I'm convinced there's no way you're an engineer man.  Don't mean to be insulting, but COME ON!

Sounds like someone has never seen an automotive suspension book. I've read Carroll Smith's books (which are watered down for non engineers) and there's a lot going on there.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 15, 2012, 09:10:00 PM
It took me a few hours to tune the suspension on my Civic and start winning STS class autocross. That's not fair, though, cuz driver skill...

You didn't even move pivot points.

2o6

In other news, I just learned that MacPherson struts turn.

68_427

I don't like the new Malibu in pictures, but everytime I see one IRL I'm like Oh that looked really nice!  Especially in black.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 15, 2012, 09:11:47 PM
Sounds like someone has never seen an automotive suspension book. I've read Carroll Smith's books (which are watered down for non engineers) and there's a lot going on there.

I've read really technical, enginerdy stuff on suspensions, and it's so unbelievably dumbed down in those books.  Real life suspensions are crazy complex and difficult to nail down properly.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on May 15, 2012, 09:18:00 PM
I've read really technical, enginerdy stuff on suspensions, and it's so unbelievably dumbed down in those books.  Real life suspensions are crazy complex and difficult to nail down properly.

Well, that's why they pay you guys more than me. :lol:

SVT_Power

I've been meaning to read (or try to read) Vehicle dynamics theory and applications and Race car vehicle dynamics. Got both on pdf, just never seem to get around to it.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit'. And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

GoCougs

One of the hardest aspects to suspension design is properly modeling the chassis - MatLab ain't going to come close to cutting it - will need something like an uber-powerful ANSYS workstation + experience. (Then of course there's the dynamic modeling of the entire system - chassis + individual suspension elements + wheels + tires all in the context of nearly infinite combination of positions, movements, etc. And then you're onto optimization of that ginormous system. Jesus! Makes my head 'SPIN!)

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 15, 2012, 09:12:06 PM
You didn't even move pivot points.

You can't do that in STS

280Z Turbo

MrH

Quote from: GoCougs on May 15, 2012, 09:46:01 PM
One of the hardest aspects to suspension design is properly modeling the chassis - MatLab ain't going to come close to cutting it - will need something like an uber-powerful ANSYS workstation + experience. (Then of course there's the dynamic modeling of the entire system - chassis + individual suspension elements + wheels + tires all in the context of nearly infinite combination of positions, movements, etc. And then you're onto optimization of that ginormous system. Jesus! Makes my head 'SPIN!)

Even then, you still need to build the damn thing and test in as many conditions are you can get to pull real world data.  Compare that to your simulation, tweak, etc.

But seriously, they over think it.  This is all you gotta do:

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 15, 2012, 02:00:31 PM
Make the springs somewhat soft, keep the low speed damping high to remove floatiness, tune mid + high speed damping appropriately

:wtf:  I don't think anyone knows what that's actually supposed to mean.  Just a bunch of vague, relative terms thrown around to make it sound like he knows what he's talking about.

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on May 15, 2012, 09:56:53 PM
Exactly.

Civics are perfect, anyway. All it really needed was more than 70 HP.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on May 15, 2012, 09:58:15 PM
Even then, you still need to build the damn thing and test in as many conditions are you can get to pull real world data.  Compare that to your simulation, tweak, etc.

But seriously, they over think it.  This is all you gotta do:

:wtf:  I don't think anyone knows what that's actually supposed to mean.  Just a bunch of vague, relative terms thrown around to make it sound like he knows what he's talking about.

Yup.

All simulations are wrong, some are useful.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on May 15, 2012, 09:58:15 PM

I have put together a lot of street setups on mainstream cars and this is what has worked for me :huh:

MrH

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 17, 2012, 08:57:13 PM
I have put together a lot of street setups on mainstream cars and this is what has worked for me :huh:

:lol:

It just gets better.  Slammed maximas on ebay coilovers don't "work" for OEMs.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 17, 2012, 08:57:13 PM

Have you taken them on a track?

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MrH on May 17, 2012, 09:02:52 PM
:lol:

It just gets better.  Slammed maximas on ebay coilovers don't "work" for OEMs.
They weren't Ebay coilovers

And not all of my setups were slammed... the best one was maybe 1-1.5" lower than stock, with springs not much stiffer than stock, but significantly better damping

Maybe for 10/10ths autocross you need MATLAB and all that shit but for a family car on the street? Cmon

Quote from: 2o6 on May 17, 2012, 09:03:33 PM
Have you taken them on a track?
What would going to a track tell me that real streets wouldn't? No I haven't taken them on a track.