Speed_Racer's New Used Rig

Started by Speed_Racer, June 03, 2012, 04:04:38 PM

Speed_Racer

Story time.

A week and a half ago, the MR2 decided to snap its timing belt (ahead of schedule) and strand me in the Vegas sun. Thankfully, it's a non-interference engine so it's not totaled. Also a plus - it wasn't when I was driving it down from Utah last month. But putting that much money into a former New England car (rust) didn't seem like a wise move so it'll be posted for sale as-is on the MR2 Owners Club website.

I've been looking for a suitable replacement. I thought of financing a newer hatchback/wagon, or getting another motorcycle, or several other options. Then I found this on Craigslist, looked at it today, and I'm buying it on Tuesday. I've got a soft spot for mid-80s Japanese cars, apparently. So its from sports car to sports ute.

It's an '86 Trooper II. 118k original miles, 5-speed, 4x4. Unbelievable to me is that there's no rust anywhere. Desert cars are the way to go!
Aside from having meticulous maintenance records, I love that it's not trying to be anything other than a truck. It rides rough, it has gear whine, and the shifter throws are long. But it rides smooth and is a tough little do-everything machine, which is exactly what I need right now.

ifcar

Payman

I like it. Isuzu 4-cyl engines are found in aviation ground power generators, and are bulletproof and easy to work on. You done good. May we ask how much $?

Laconian

Don't count your chickens, but congrats anyways. It's as idiosyncratic as the MR2.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Speed_Racer

Quote from: Rockraven on June 03, 2012, 05:04:57 PM
May we ask how much $?

$3500. A bit more than other Troopers or 4Runners, but this one doesn't look beaten to death, plus he took care of the 100k maintenance - all new belts, tires, brakes, shocks, tune up, etc. It's nice knowing it won't need anything for a while.

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2012, 05:30:01 PM
Don't count your chickens, but congrats anyways. It's as idiosyncratic as the MR2.

Knock on wood! One of these days I'll buy something normal. :lol:

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Speed_Racer on June 03, 2012, 05:39:20 PM
Knock on wood! One of these days I'll buy something normal. :lol:

Never!

Payman

Quote from: Laconian on June 03, 2012, 05:30:01 PM

At least now he has something to transport his chickens.

2o6

Colonel Cadillac

2o6

I didn't even know they made three-door Troopers.

Speed_Racer

They even made them with diesels, too. (This one's a gasser though.)

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on June 03, 2012, 06:35:59 PM
I didn't even know they made three-door Troopers.

Me neither. It seems they didn't even redesign the front doors between versions.

280Z Turbo

QuoteIt rides rough...But it rides smooth

hotrodalex

Secret Chimp

I like gear whine, so long as it doesn't mean something is about to break.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

CALL_911

Wow, the thing looks mint. Very cool find, best of luck with it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Cookie Monster

That thing is ridiculously cool! Awesome find.

I love the 3 door body style. And it's so mint too. Take good care of it!
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

CJ

Head gaskets.  Be aware of them.

93JC

1) I didn't even know they made a two-door Trooper.
2) I can't remember the last time I even saw a Trooper, let alone a first-generation Trooper.

Cool!

Speed_Racer

TurboDan

Rupert

Nice! I have a soft spot for Troopers (see my sig list). :lol: I assume it's 4 cylinder (no six in '86, I think)? I still want to buy one to fix up. Maybe when the Exploder explodes.

The diesels were really super cool, but I believe they were also super gutless. I think one year had a tolerable turbodiesel, but I don't remember. I always wanted one with a Chevy 4.2L V6 or with a more modern/powerful small diesel.

:ohyeah:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

veeman

That truck looks amazing for a 25 year old vehicle.  25 years and > 100,000 miles in the northeast where I live, and you would be able to see the road through the floorpan.

cawimmer430

Congrats! :cheers:

But how are you going to Speed Race in it?  :devil:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Mustangfan2003

Just be careful going around sharp curves. 

hotrodalex

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 04, 2012, 09:41:48 PM
In Vegas? Ha!

Well just in case he ventures in the mountains.  I found the roads in Northern Arizona to be fun to drive on. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 04, 2012, 09:41:48 PM
In Vegas? Ha!

Yep. Take it slow around the curves in Vegas. Don't want these guys showing up.  :praise:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie